SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 13, 2006, 12:24 PM
Jim Kaiser

Default I'm about to do the unthinkable and get a JOB!

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about this and weighing the pros and cons and I've determined that there is a job out there that I REALLY want.

It's an airline job. I really have no desire to do the actual job but the flight benefits that are included seem way too good to pass up.

I'm in a position where my businesses pretty much run themselves without me and I've got lots of free time.

I want to be able to do a lot of traveling to a lot of places that tickets would normally cost 2K round trip for me and my son.

I wouldn't mind working part time if I knew that I would be using thousands of dollars worth of flight benefits every month.

I'm about 5 minutes away from my local airport and one of the big airlines here is having a "job fair' tomorrow and they will be doing interviews and hiring on the spot. I'm 100% confident in my ability to nail any interview for a job that I'm qualified for.

My question here....

I've never had a resume and I guess I need one for this thing. Since I haven't had a real job in nearly 20 years, mine may look a little strange.

Does anyone know of a good resourse online that might help me create a killer resume?

Any input is appreciated.

Jim
Old September 13, 2006, 01:30 PM
Rod Carr

Default Re: I'm about to do the unthinkable and get a JOB!

Jim,

It sounds to me like it would be much easier for someone in your
position to just have it done for you. Why mess around?

I'd contact http://www.gresumes.com/

Cheers,

Rod
Old September 13, 2006, 01:48 PM
Jim Kaiser

Thanks Rod,

That site and the few others I have found all take a few days to do a resume and I need one by tomorrow.

It looks like I'll be putting one together tonight.

I appreciate your input.

Jim
Old September 13, 2006, 02:17 PM
Phil

Hey Jim,

I thought you owned your own airline and private jet.

Good Luck in getting the job and let us know if you get any
extra travel vouchers that you don't need.

Too many Resume resources to name all...
But here's a few of the Best...

http://tinyurl.com/me4t5
http://tinyurl.com/jfwu7
http://resume.monster.com/

You can click on a few others here and enter Resume
Help in the search box...
http://www.quintcareers.com/top_10_sites.html

Phil
Old September 13, 2006, 02:27 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Some help for you, Jim...

I used to do resume's professionally (and hated it) but this might help you anyway.

Since you've been self-employed for 20 years or so, what you'd be best with is what is known as a functional type of resume'. In this type, you focus on the actual activities you've performed or responsibilities you've handled in each 'job' or 'business'.

Even tho' your businesses have become largely self-regulating and self-perpetuating, they didn't get to that point by themselves. Your job is to show a prospective employer how you learned new tasks, and implemented them successfully, to make your businesses grow. You want to show both business and professional growth in doing so.

Even tho' online businesses are loner types of things, do make an effort to show people skills and networking skills. You also might include some of your community involvement type of activities to show people skills.

In your summarizing section, show how these skills you have would relate to the job(s) applied for.

Hope this is some help. Good luck with your job interview!

Sandi Bowman
Old September 13, 2006, 03:40 PM
MichaelRoss

Jim,

Thanks for asking about resumes.

Like Sandi suggested, a Skills resume would be best. Where you List your various Skills under certain categories, for example.

You might have a Section entitled Relevant Skills with SubCategories such as Organization. Under the Organization you would list, in more detail, the skills you have such as "organizing a team of 20 to....", "arranging for...", "seeing to the..." and so on.

Other SubCategories could include what you deem is relevant... Customer Relations, Human Resources, and so on.

Also have a Section called Education; Past Employment with very brief overviews of positions or job title and function; and Other Skills with very brife references such as Driver's License (and list the Class/Level of your license), Boat License, First Aid Cert, etc., etc.

Such resumes might only be one page long, possibly two, but, in my experience talking with employers, employers Like them because they are different to the usual plastic comb bound 20 page deal that everyone has, and give them a Consice view of your Skills. Add a Cover Letter which might mention things such as your willingness to work, how you have Never beeing charged or convicted with any crime, don't drink/smoke/etc., and so on. And it tells them almost everything they need to know in a small neat bundle.

Michael Ross
Old September 13, 2006, 04:08 PM
Jim Kaiser

Rod, Michael, Sandi, Phil,

Thanks for the advice here.

This gives me a much better idea of the direction I need to go with this thing.

Jim
Old September 13, 2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kaiser View Post
My question here....

I've never had a resume and I guess I need one for this thing. Since I haven't had a real job in nearly 20 years, mine may look a little strange.

Does anyone know of a good resourse online that might help me create a killer resume?

Any input is appreciated.

Jim

Here is what an aquantaince of mine had done. He worked on his own for quite a few years before he faced with hard times and started looking for a job.

He simply created job titles to write on his resume. For eg: instead of writing Entrepreneur or Owner - he wrote titles like "senior sales manager."

--

If you want to fly for free or cheap - try out at the local courier service providers. Some do give away free or very cheap tickets to people if they are willing to carry and deliver stuff with them.
Old September 14, 2006, 01:00 AM
Jim Kaiser

Sandi, are you still up?

A friend wanted to buy a new Mac tonight and that's about the only thing in the world that I am willing to drop everything for and make sure it happens.

Long story short.... My resume is not even started and I need to get it done ASAP. (interview tomorrow)

I know you said you hate this stuff but I'm willing to pay good money to get it done tonight.

If you are interested in helping out....

602-486-2684

Jim

Otherwise, I need to go out and buy an alarm clock (something I haven't owned in 20 years)
Old September 14, 2006, 01:32 AM
Sandi Bowman

I really can't now, Jim. My son's car blew up when he was on a trip to his new campus, he's stuck and working against time deadlines and so on, everyone's (me, too) been scrambling all day for solutions. I've been up since 4:00 A.M. and am just beat.

Still recovering from a serious medication bad reaction ect so not at my best.

A suggestion: don't know where you're located but most places have secretarial services or temp agencies that'd be happy to help you out with it. Sometimes even a local non-quick-print type print shop will do resume's for you.

My apologies, Jim. Goodnight.

Sandi Bowman