SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 8, 2002, 12:56 PM
Anya

Default Feeding the Fantasy.....

> Do you garden? Do you dream of a
> self-sufficient lifestyle? One thing that
> Bill Myers taught me was that most people
> seldom reach, nor really want to reach,
> their dreams, but they buy anything that
> helps them enjoy the dream or fantasy.

Gordon,

Why will people spend hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars on products they don't really intend to use? Why wouldn't people reason that they are wasting their money if they only intend to fuel a fantasy, rather than actually use the product to make that fantasy come true? (I admit I've done it too, without realising it!)

And does knowing this fact of human nature give us an edge in selling? I find it really interesting.

Anya :)

p.s. If anyone's wondering, my interview with www.homebasedwork.com won't be released until the September issue of their newsletter. By then I'm going to have to suggest a bunch of changes, as I'm sure I'll have made some progress by then! LOL!!!
Old March 8, 2002, 02:22 PM
Boyd Stone

Default I'm a hope junkie, I'll pay for a fix...

Hi,

A lot of people are like that. They're glad to buy hope in measured doses.

Best,

- Boyd
Old March 8, 2002, 02:28 PM
Taylor Trump

Default Re: Feeding the Fantasy.....

Anya,
I don't have any scientific data but I hypothesize that we all beleive that there is a simpler way to reach our goals and dreams. I think we all feel that if we ONLY purchase the results of others that will be enough.

Actually, I see this in the gym while I am training. I get many an onlooker who dreams (I can see it in their eyes) of building a physique similar to mine. After awhile they want to stand close enough to me to see everything I am doing. As time goes on they end up telling me (jokingly) that maybe if they stand close enogh something will rub off.

Also, I went to the Grammy's a few times and I noticed that many had the intesne desire to shake hands with the starts. Why? Maybe, just maybe, the handshake would turn into more...mor eof what? More of getting them closer to some dream of theirs.

And there is another part of us that says that as long as we know where to get the info that will help us reach our dreams...well, that is enough to satisfy the hunger.
So, incase we obtain the resources we THINK we are lacking, then we can simply begin pursuing our dreams.

Years ago I read a phenomenal book called 'The Disciplined Trader.' It was written by Mark Douglas. It is a book that deals with trading in commodities. However, it is also a guide that helped me see that within the majority of each one of us are the limits imposed by our own mindsets and life history.

What I mean is that so many of us don't beleive that we are deserving of financial success, happiness and independence. Too many of us feel deep inside that we are not deserving of much, well not enough.

I don't believe that for myself. This is what I believe, personally, deep within my heart...I am made in the image of God...I can walk on water too, why?

Because I know where the rocks are. I can become successful, why? Because I choose to. I can turn a spark into a flame, fuel into energy. Simply put I CAN. That's it.

Will I? Time will tell.

For many of us, dreams is all we have. The closer we come to 'seeing' them and feeling them, the better off we are and feel. Feeling good is powerful. This is why our country is suffering to this minute.

Why are drugs soooooooo rampant? Why are crack cocaine, heroine, and nicotine the very best selling items in this country? Because soooooo many Americans dream of a better feeling within themselves...but there is no direction (true direction) or frame or reference from which to draw upon.

So, drug abuse remains the seemingly correct solution.

Many golfers dream of playing like the great Tiger Woods. They literally dream of it. So when a product is developed and marketed that even hints at being able to deliver on this dream, guess what happens? Sales.

However, to play like Tiger requires an inordinate amount of time to practice. So, the dream gets deferred because the dreamer lacks a vital resource which is not money but time.

I say all this to say that dreams are more powerful than many of us realize and thus we don't respect the dreams of our prospects. When marketers learn to respect the immense power of their pospects dreams then they will be able to deliver to their propsects services and products that allow their prospects to fulfill at least some semblance of reaching their dreams an goals.

Taylor

> Gordon,

> Why will people spend hundreds, sometimes
> thousands of dollars on products they don't
> really intend to use? Why wouldn't people
> reason that they are wasting their money if
> they only intend to fuel a fantasy, rather
> than actually use the product to make that
> fantasy come true? (I admit I've done it
> too, without realising it!)

> And does knowing this fact of human nature
> give us an edge in selling? I find it really
> interesting.

> Anya :)

> p.s. If anyone's wondering, my interview
> with www.homebasedwork.com won't be
> released until the September issue of their
> newsletter. By then I'm going to have to
> suggest a bunch of changes, as I'm sure I'll
> have made some progress by then! LOL!!!

Reach ALL YOUR Dreams With Gordon's 24-Hour Assistance
Old March 8, 2002, 11:17 PM
Cornell

Default Anya ...results are in...

Hi Anya:

Kids did a very intense, but informal survey of their peers at two schools, local teenage dance, and two group meetings.

Unfortunately the results were not in favour of the product as it stands.

Now this was not a formal counted survey so percentages are not 100% accurate but here was the tally:

Would they be interested or buy....roughly 90% - no.

Of this 90% roughly 75% said they might but they would want to be able to see it first (just like they would page through a book in a newstand). Most said they couldn't give an answer without knowing if it had anything they were interested in.

Not a great positive response but it does tell us that marketing approach (presentation) of it, content, as well as content presentation will be the deciding factor. Again RH should be used to assist in finding the hot buttons, and understanding the target.

Hope this helps.

Cornell
Old March 11, 2002, 10:51 PM
Anya

Default Thank you Cornell,

And many thanks to your great kids for doing the survey. The results really aren't a surprise, and yes, it will be interesting to see how the application of RH changes that. I'm about half way through studying it, taking my time....plus I've been sick so much recently, so that's why I haven't been on this forum too much either.

Thanks again!

God Bless.

Anya :)

> Hi Anya:

> Kids did a very intense, but informal survey
> of their peers at two schools, local teenage
> dance, and two group meetings.

> Unfortunately the results were not in favour
> of the product as it stands.

> Now this was not a formal counted survey so
> percentages are not 100% accurate but here
> was the tally: