SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 15, 2006, 04:11 AM
Phil

Default Think about the Serious problem of Global warming... Education Hotsheets & Biz ideas?

Local and Global medias & newspapers are Finally starting to publish Global warming Tips and feature stories. Advertising and specialty product sponsorships are in the works.

A few Quick ideas...

Global warming Education Hotsheets, newsletters, ebooks, tip sheets, T-shirts and many other specialty products with a connection to Advertisers that support a very Serious problem!

There are all kinds of business ideas that can be "Twisted" out of this Big news topic.

Hopefully, we'll all do our share to Help solve this very serious Problem before it's Too Late!

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming
http://www.climatehotmap.org/
http://news.google.com/news?sourceid...-8&sa=N&tab=wn

Phil
Old December 15, 2006, 06:24 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Serious problem of Global warming? HAHAHA!

Phil,

Thanks for giving ideas.

Unfortunately, I feel this is one of those... Questionable... areas. And should NOT be pushed any more than the lefty, greeny, media groups already are.

Seriously.

This planet has been through Ice Ages and Warm Ages from time beginning. Lo-o-o-o-o-o-ong Before us humans walked around. So to now Claim... or Imply... the Climate has been Stable and Just Now us Humans have Messed it up and Made it Warmer... is, frankly, Conclusion Without Thought and a result of Questionable Science, even a result of Post Hoc Fallacy (e.g. Eating fruit causes car crashes, because people in car crashes ate fruit at some time in the week before the crash). And leads, ultimately, to More Taxes - as gumints try to Solve non-existant problems - and maybe even a world tax, and certainly more Restrictions.

AIDS is a result of HIV
SARS Epidemic
Global Warming caused by humans

Three peas in the same questionable dodgy-science pod.

Michael Ross

P.S. I bet those Vikings in Greenland had Wished for global warming a few hundred years ago when the polar ice cap came down several hundred miles and made it too cold to inhabit and farm, where once they had. Dam Global Cooling. (Same goes for the more recent Year Without Summer all across Europe and even in the US.)

P.P.S. Let's not forget Global Dimming. (Look it up - the savior to Fake Global Warming - Fake Global Dimming)

P.P.P.S. Of course, the REAL culprit is Global Rotation. It causes us to suffer through long periods of darkness, in which we need to use electricity to light our way... and heat to keep us warm. Plants have resticted growth, the sea level changes constantly, causing erosion, and so on. And when factored in with the abomination of Global Wobble, we have Disaster on our door stops. I say we need a Global Rotation Awareness day. And to do something about it NOW. Because in years to come, the Cost will amount to many many billions of dollars (sarcasm off).

Last edited by MichaelRoss : December 15, 2006 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added link and example; clarified "caused by humans"
Old December 16, 2006, 01:39 AM
Infinigeek

Default Re: Think about the Serious problem of Global warming... Education Hotsheets & Biz ideas?

LOL Michael has a good point on this one...
Old December 15, 2006, 08:10 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default That's an interesting "outside the box" idea for a hotsheet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Local and Global medias & newspapers are Finally starting to publish Global warming Tips and feature stories. Advertising and specialty product sponsorships are in the works.

A few Quick ideas...

Global warming Education Hotsheets, newsletters, ebooks, tip sheets, T-shirts and many other specialty products with a connection to Advertisers that support a very Serious problem!
Thanks Phil,

That's definitely a "thinking outside the box" - and interesting - idea!

Now, you're always going to have skeptics about various topics, including this one (see Michael's post). However, obviously, the skeptics are not going to be your target market.

I think the key point (from a business perspective) is whether this is a trend or not in society. While I don't have any "hard data", my impression is that awareness and concern about global warming is certainly a trend in society.

This can expand to the general topic of creating a business out of a cause. It certainly can be done (and has been done)! One example are those people who make political bumper stickers, T-shirts, write books, and so on - about various political causes. Another example is where a cause is "grafted on" to another business - "The Body Shop" is what springs to mind as an example of this, which joins some sort of global environmentalism I think with cosmetics and moisturisers, etc. And as far as I know, "The Body Shop" is an immensely successful business.

For the "global warming" skeptics, there are probably ways you can make money from other skeptics too (I'm not sure if a "hotsheet" would do it, but there are other ways, like T-shirts for example, or bumper stickers).

By the way, there seem to be eminent people (or at least well-known people!) on both sides of the debate. On the "global warming is happening" side, a recent prominent dude is Al Gore and his movie (which I've heard about in the news, but haven't seen myself). On the other side is the author and film maker/TV producer Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park, ER, Westworld), who's criticized the concept of global warming through his fiction (the novel "State of Fear", which I haven't read either).

Getting completely off topic, I saw "Westworld" (a great movie made in the 1970s with Yul Brynner) just last weekend... I sometimes get together with some friends at one of our houses and watch old movies. It's still a great movie! (For those who don't know, "Westworld" is about a theme park, where you can live in the Wild West and shoot people - but the "people" you shoot are actually very realistic robots. As you can imagine - since it's a Michael Crichton book and film - everything goes terrifyingly wrong...)

Thanks Phil and everyone for your insights!

- Dien
Old December 15, 2006, 11:27 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Why am *I* the skeptic - as if that's a bad thing?

Dien,

Thanks for adding ideas.

I need to Pull You Up on something and ask a question about it...

Quote:
Now, you're always going to have skeptics about various topics, including this one (see Michael's post).

The above sentence Implies I am a Skeptic - as if being this Skeptic is also a bad thing as the thing I am Skeptical about it actually true. And Lends credence to Any Hair-Brained Anything.

For example...

Bob believes the Great Green Arklesneezure Sneezed the universe into existence. Those who do not believe this are called Skeptics.

WHY isn't Bob just a Nut job? Why is Bob's theory accepted and those who do not agree with it given a Label of Skeptic? (More on Bob later.)

Another example...

I do Not believe in Darwin's Theory (note, it is JUST a THEORY) of Evolution. As such, I am called a Skeptic. And yet, IF we were to Apply the TRUE Scientific Method... we would Not Accept this theory and Would look for flaws in it. And when we do, we find Heaps.

Forget about finding a Missing Link for man... Find a Missing Link for ANY animal? There aren't any! There was a time when there were No Giraffes, then suddenly, there are some.

Another example...

A meteor killed All the Dinosaurs?

Nope. They were virtually extinct when the Geological Records show a meteor hit.

Why were they dying out?

Climate Change... at a time when No Humans driving cars were around to cause this Change. Yet, those who do not accept the Common Version are called Skeptics

Back to Bob...

It's pretty clear Bob is a nut job. - BUT - How many people have to believe Bob's insanity before they are deemed Not to be insane and the non-believers are called Skeptics?

With regards "Global Warming Caused By Man"...

Years ago, back in the 1970, I knew a guy who owned a Telescope. Not a small tripod type. But one that was on hydraulics in it's own building on his property. It was Huge. The roof would open so he could use it.

He was a scientist - and - was concerned. He was concerned because, at the time, there was Ample evidence to suggest one of the poles was icing up more than the other. And he, as well as Many others, feared the Earth's wobble would go too far due to one side being heavier and the Momentum of the wobble. Such a move, even a flip, would be catastrophic.

Hey, back then the newspapers thought we were heading into another Ice-Age.

All non-believers were deemed to be Skeptics, as if that's a bad thing.

Today's global warming - some scientic drills a hole in a glacier and says something and millions believe it - specially with celebrity endorsement (Mmm... those same celebs seem to ignore the Very Recent record-cold-temp set in Canada.)

Another looks at a different glacier, draws a different conclusion - but - we don't hear about him from the mass media.

Man Made Gobal Warming... I just can't help but think of John Hurt's lines in V for Vandetta when he urges "Remind them why they need us."

Just your usual "Sky Is Falling, but the gumint will save the day" stuff. Of course, such Saving will require tax dollars.

Have you heard the latest?

1: An idea to Seed the atmoshphere with particles which will reflect light - and therefore heat - to help keep the globe cool. Can't even cure cancer, or the common cold, but they want to mess with the climate on a Global Scale. (That'll work without fail, right?)

2: Man Made Global Warming effects orbiting satellites. And the Space Station could fall down as a result.

What's next? Solar System Warming? Galaxy Warming?

FFS - insert the "aw jeez" guy here.

Michael (not a skeptic, but questioning everything and applying Reasoning to it) Ross.

Let's not fall victim to Blind Acceptance of things, or Post Hoc Fallacy.
Old December 16, 2006, 01:02 AM
Don Alm

Default Try this "scientific" experiment....

Fill a glass half full of water.

Drop in an icecube.

Mark the level of the water with a pen line on the outside of the glass.

Let the icecube melt.

Note the level of the water after the ice cube has melted.

Don Alm....another "skeptic" of "Global Warming Snow Job".

P.S. GOT to keep giving the "believers", those Gummit Grants so they don't have to "work" for a living.
Old December 16, 2006, 02:52 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Why am *I* the skeptic - as if that's a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
I need to Pull You Up on something and ask a question about it...
Quote:
Now, you're always going to have skeptics about various topics, including this one (see Michael's post).
The above sentence Implies I am a Skeptic - as if being this Skeptic is also a bad thing as the thing I am Skeptical about it actually true. And Lends credence to Any Hair-Brained Anything.
Hi Michael,

I was looking at it from the viewpoint of someone who may want to do this idea. In that case, a "skeptic" is not that person's target market, so they should not be too concerned about what a "skeptic" would have to say about the product - since they're not really aiming to sell to "skeptics" anyway...

The people who would matter - from the business perspective - is the person's target market. And the target market for this idea I presume would be the same people who are fans of Al Gore's new movie, or fans of other environmentalists...

From a "wider" perspective, I don't think it's bad to be a "skeptic" at all. We're all skeptics of something or other. To take an extreme example, remember the "Heaven's Gate" cult of the late 1990s - the ones who thought they were going to be taken up into their space ship, hiding behind the Hale-Bopp comet? (Here's the Wikipedia entry for those who don't remember this.)

Well, I'm a skeptic of their claims! So I don't think being a "skeptic" is necessarily a "bad" thing... And a healthy dose of skepticism is a good thing.

My post was from a "business" perspective... I do believe there is a market for pro-environmental stuff - which means that there could be a viable business in it.

Of course - if you don't believe in it - then you shouldn't do the business, and stick to doing something you agree with....

I hope that clarifies!

As to my personal views, I'm no expert on the issue, and haven't looked into it beyond the standard media reports. If it's true, then I don't think it's a good thing - though I tend to look at it from a "selfish" perspective... I like to scuba dive, and if global warming does happen and kills a lot of the coral, it's not a good thing from the "scuba diving" point of view! But I don't claim any expertise in this topic - as I haven't delved into the topic to any real depth...

- Dien
Old December 18, 2006, 11:13 PM
Phil

Default Ironically, within minutes of this post... I was Blacked out & living in the Dark!

Gotta be very careful what you talk about as you just never know what the next moment in Life brings.

Things are slowly coming together and I know the US and other parts of the world have had it way more Severe than this, many times over!

http://news.google.com/news?sourceid...nG=Search+News

And Thanks for all your comments on Global warming...

Weather you're a Skeptic or Not...

There are just Too many Odd weather Things happening all over the world...

Green Christmas's where they should be White and Crazy weather patterns in places that should be having Mild comfortable winters etc.

Just one example...

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...news-a_section

Serious Predictions are that many cities, towns close to our Oceans will be underwater one day if we don't make some necessary changes very soon!

Of course, it's probably not going to be in our Lifetime But it could Possibly be in one of your children's Lifetime or somewhere in that Never ending Future Family Tree.

Phil
Old December 19, 2006, 03:47 PM
Don Alm

Default Re: Think about the Serious problem of Global warming... Education Hotsheets & Biz ideas?

You mention "changes being made".

WHAT do you propose WE (as humans) can do to prevent the problems of "Global Warming"?

Don Alm

http://www.donalm.com
Midas Report
Old December 19, 2006, 06:55 PM
mtran2000

Default Re: Think about the Serious problem of Global warming... Education Hotsheets & Biz id

Global warming does have its benefits, it is the reason the cold war ended