SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
Duane Adolph

Default This Kid Is the Best Door to Door Salesman...

Hey Sowpubbers

I had to post this where people could appreciate the lessons.

Listen to this kids Pitch...it's a Mix between Stand Up comedy and Direct Sales all rolled into one.

Watch this. But Don't just Laugh with him....

Please post what lessons or takeaways YOU Get from this....once you stop laughing of course!

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...SroyCY8Pn8YKSj
Old November 13, 2011, 04:39 AM
Phil

Default This Is How You Sell Door To Door. Salesmen Take Notes...

Hey Duane,

Thanks for introducing Kenny Brooks and Company! ... Definitely some Very interesting business Lessons in All of This...

As the World Turns...

Figured... I'd Quickly Decipher [everything] and Tear it All apart for A Good Mix of some Extremely interesting Business Lessons! ... An assortment of Funnies! ... And Maybe some Not so Funny stuff...
http://hottipscentral.com/this-is-ho...en-take-notes/

Unfortunately, Kenny Brooks [kinda] Chose the wrong company for his Comedy career Start-up Campaign...

Then Again! ... Since it's Gone and Continues to be Going more and more Viral! ... Maybe it was just Meant To Be...

Unfortunately Advanage Wonder Cleaner was a popular scam last year and the company would empty bank accounts and use fake names. The video is a year ...

Advanage Wonder Cleaner
Kenny Brooks – Door To Door Salesman.
http://www.mostwatchedtoday.com/tag/...onder-cleaner/
http://www.google.com/search?q=advan...ient=firefox-a

A few more Great Lessons and Worthwhile resources... The {Quieter} side of Kenny Brooks, Marketing techniques and some Quick misc. ideas! ...

self-employment planner template - finding what you can succeed at ... and more traditionally in the case of consumer door-to-door selling as 'door-knocking'. ..... You should also take notes or keep yourself informed as the situation develops, ...
http://www.businessballs.com/cold_calling.htm

How to Sell Girl Scout Cookies
http://www.wikihow.com/Sell-Girl-Scout-Cookies

How To Sell Door To Door Sales Tips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuyz60hLWH4

Phil
Old November 15, 2011, 06:11 PM
Duane Adolph

Default Re: This Is How You Sell Door To Door. Salesmen Take Notes...

Hi Phil,

Thank YOU for introducing me to the background on the actual company. I was so mesmerized by Kenny's Performance that I did not even Google to get details.

I will have to check out the other links you have generously provided. Looks like some valuable sales ideas.

Thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Hey Duane,

Thanks for introducing Kenny Brooks and Company! ... Definitely some Very interesting business Lessons in All of This...

As the World Turns...

Figured... I'd Quickly Decipher [everything] and Tear it All apart for A Good Mix of some Extremely interesting Business Lessons! ... An assortment of Funnies! ... And Maybe some Not so Funny stuff...
http://hottipscentral.com/this-is-ho...en-take-notes/

Unfortunately, Kenny Brooks [kinda] Chose the wrong company for his Comedy career Start-up Campaign...

Then Again! ... Since it's Gone and Continues to be Going more and more Viral! ... Maybe it was just Meant To Be...

Unfortunately Advanage Wonder Cleaner was a popular scam last year and the company would empty bank accounts and use fake names. The video is a year ...

Advanage Wonder Cleaner
Kenny Brooks – Door To Door Salesman.
http://www.mostwatchedtoday.com/tag/...onder-cleaner/
http://www.google.com/search?q=advan...ient=firefox-a

A few more Great Lessons and Worthwhile resources... The {Quieter} side of Kenny Brooks, Marketing techniques and some Quick misc. ideas! ...

self-employment planner template - finding what you can succeed at ... and more traditionally in the case of consumer door-to-door selling as 'door-knocking'. ..... You should also take notes or keep yourself informed as the situation develops, ...
http://www.businessballs.com/cold_calling.htm

How to Sell Girl Scout Cookies
http://www.wikihow.com/Sell-Girl-Scout-Cookies

How To Sell Door To Door Sales Tips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuyz60hLWH4

Phil
Old November 14, 2011, 03:14 AM

Default Re: This Kid Is the Best Door to Door Salesman...

Thanks Duane for sharing this.

Take aways:
* The passion. Making a cleaning product exciting.
* Kinetic energy. How he high fives folks all the time.
* Ownership. How he asks the guy to hold the product.
* Demonstration. Showing how the product cleans 3 different things.
* Bonus. He offers a bonus and gives a reason why behind it too.

Where he can improve:
* Revealing the price. He had a couple of instances where he could have revealed the price and asked for objections.
* Asking for the sale. He does not ask for the sale after every demo. A 2 minute pitch can be dragged to 7-10 minutes if you don't ask for the sale at the right time.
* Does not pace himself with his listeners. There were a couple of instances where I thought the buyers didn't understand him.
* Closing. Maybe he closes well after the video is over though...

But yes - he is pretty good. And the video was fun to watch. Thanks
Old November 14, 2011, 05:36 AM
-TW

Default He's a star by LIVING these two all-important words...

Tireless rehearsal.

The prospects feel totally comfortable because it is instantly clear, "he's done this before" (a few THOUSAND times).

Also, he is doing what I call, "forgetting the script + remembering the lines."

Everyone knows these are not ad libs -- but he delivers them like they ARE ad libs.

BRAVO!

-- TW

PS: Those two all-important words are from a list in Dariel Fitzkee's 1944 book, "Showmanship for Magicians." In case you're interested, here's the complete list (I've bolded all the others the salesman in the video uses -- intentionally or not)...
Music, Rhythym, Movement, Sex Appeal, Youth, Personality, Color, Comedy, Harmony, Romance, Sentiment, Nostalgia, Pointing, Timing, Surprise, Situation, Character, Conflict, Proper Costuming, Careful Grooming, Physical Action, Group Coordination, Precise Attack, Short turns or scenes, Efficient Pacing, Punch, Careful Routining, Tireless Rehearsal, Special Material, Grace, Effortless Skill, Surefire Material, Spectacle,Thrill, Emotion, Common Problems, Unity, and Up-to-dateness.
Old November 15, 2011, 06:22 PM
Duane Adolph

Default Re: He's a star by LIVING these two all-important words...

Hey TW.

Thanks for highlighting that "Secret" he WOULD have had to have Tirelessly Rehearsed that. Over and Over.

I did NOT have that on my little checklist.

I appreciate the Magic book reference too. Magic used to be one of my hobbies when I was younger.

I bookmarked Dariel Fitzkee's book as a "Must get"!
I want to use some of the principles in my speeches.

Hmm you could definitely use some of those power words in copy too.

Yes Yes Yes! Thanks for the reference T.W

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
Tireless rehearsal.

The prospects feel totally comfortable because it is instantly clear, "he's done this before" (a few THOUSAND times).

Also, he is doing what I call, "forgetting the script + remembering the lines."

Everyone knows these are not ad libs -- but he delivers them like they ARE ad libs.

BRAVO!

-- TW

PS: Those two all-important words are from a list in Dariel Fitzkee's 1944 book, "Showmanship for Magicians." In case you're interested, here's the complete list (I've bolded all the others the salesman in the video uses -- intentionally or not)...
Music, Rhythym, Movement, Sex Appeal, Youth, Personality, Color, Comedy, Harmony, Romance, Sentiment, Nostalgia, Pointing, Timing, Surprise, Situation, Character, Conflict, Proper Costuming, Careful Grooming, Physical Action, Group Coordination, Precise Attack, Short turns or scenes, Efficient Pacing, Punch, Careful Routining, Tireless Rehearsal, Special Material, Grace, Effortless Skill, Surefire Material, Spectacle,Thrill, Emotion, Common Problems, Unity, and Up-to-dateness.
Old November 15, 2011, 06:16 PM
Duane Adolph

Default Re: This Kid Is the Best Door to Door Salesman...

Hi Ankesh,

Thank you for laying out your lessons in the usual clear and concise manner. I actually had very similar Takeaways just different terminology.

In regard to the "Bonus" I felt he used that to overcome the clients objection or potential Haggling over the $36 dollar price.

I believe she started asking about the $36 dollars and THEN he added in the bonus and mentioned also later on about how many bottle a small amount would equal to.

Glad you had fun with it. A lot of lessons can be learned in the strangest of places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
Thanks Duane for sharing this.

Take aways:
* The passion. Making a cleaning product exciting.
* Kinetic energy. How he high fives folks all the time.
* Ownership. How he asks the guy to hold the product.
* Demonstration. Showing how the product cleans 3 different things.
* Bonus. He offers a bonus and gives a reason why behind it too.

Where he can improve:
* Revealing the price. He had a couple of instances where he could have revealed the price and asked for objections.
* Asking for the sale. He does not ask for the sale after every demo. A 2 minute pitch can be dragged to 7-10 minutes if you don't ask for the sale at the right time.
* Does not pace himself with his listeners. There were a couple of instances where I thought the buyers didn't understand him.
* Closing. Maybe he closes well after the video is over though...

But yes - he is pretty good. And the video was fun to watch. Thanks
Old November 15, 2011, 07:04 PM
Duane Adolph

Default A Short List Of My Takeaways...Clarity, Entertainment and NLP?

Thanks for the responses,

Brilliance as expected. So many lessons.

I noticed that consciously or unconsciously Kenny used a LOT of NLP techniques. I'm sure Glen Osborn can add more details or the proper terminology.

Here's were some tactics which stuck out at me.

1. Kenny got the prospect to say "YES" over and over:
  • Y'all got water...right?
  • Y'all got a Sharpie right?
  • *Reminds me of those T. Harv Seminars..."Is this a good deal? YES or YES?"

2. Kenny had "Clarity of Purpose" about what he was REALLY selling:

Lady asks him at one point. "What are you selling?" Kenny pauses and replies "PERSONALITY!" Yes. and now you are viral on Youtube. Good job Kenny

We all know the example of when you're writing copy you are not selling the drill...you are selling holes.

3. Anchoring: He get's the client emotionally laughing and then anchors it with the verbal command and gesture of "High Five"

4. Embedded Commands: He confuses the Man by overloading/ His conscious mind with laughter, a bunch of facts, speaking quickly and then QUIETLY whispers (Tonally marks) the command "YOU GET IT?"

Poor guys reply was literally "HUH? What?"

Poor guy then starts to invite Kenny to do a routine at one of his performances.

5. Pattern Interrupts: Anytime there was a "lul" or a potential "objection" he'd yell "OHHHH..." and he'd find some new Problem, or Joke to shift attention back to the sale

6. He used Celebrity name dropping: to establish an affinity with the prospects and also to highlight/ credentialise some of his statements. "Y'all know Tony Robbins, Zig Ziglar, Jaimie Foxx, Michael Jackson, O.J...etc. etc. etc.

7. Future Pacing: Kenny had asked them somewhere in the presentation if they could see themselves using the product to clean x,y and z.

Alright I could go on and on with all of the hidden tactics but I digress. There is a lot of Sowpubber Brilliance which has already posted about Kenny.