SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

View Poll Results: Should we use "threaded" views on the main forum page, or keep things as they are?
Please change the forum to implement "threaded" views (see example in the post below) 23 85.19%
Please don't change anything, leave things as they are now 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 12, 2006, 06:01 AM
Phil

Default Re: I need your help and feedback...

Dien,

Another good reason to change the forum to implement "threaded" views is so particular posts within a thread can be referenced directly to another related post. It can't be done now on the new forum, as each post does not have a separate ID number whereas the old forum did like the forum example you posted. In other words, you can only carry over the entire thread to reference it elsewhere.

Hopefully, this makes some sense and at this point it looks like the Red team is winning with a three quarter Vote.

Phil
Old September 12, 2006, 09:06 AM
SteveSki

Because I really preferred the look of the old forum
I vote for making it more like the way it used to be!

Cheers,

Steve
Old September 12, 2006, 12:18 PM
Chuck Huckaby

I like the threaded look of the link you showed.

I think that would help us scan the forum for new material more easily.
Old September 12, 2006, 01:51 PM
Rod Carr

Dien,

The more you can resemble the old forum the better,
but just happy to have you back!

Rod
Old September 12, 2006, 03:34 PM
MichaelRoss

Dien,

Thanks for asking for our opinons.

For mine, the Threaded look is best because I can see which messags in a thread I might like to read, without first having to click to open the thread. It gives an element of control back to me - which is what is so alluring about the internet; we control our experience.

Also, the thread view saves time. Sure it's only a click and load time wait, which might not be long depending on your conncetion speed. Buut it's additional clicks and waiting that I don't experience when I can pick a message out of a thread.

If you go the Threaded View route, can the front page be made to show more threads/messages than the 21 is shows.

Also, you'll need to do something about the Sticky, otherwise we have to wade past it all the time. Which isn't so bad now, but could be if more and more messages get added to it.

Michael Ross
Old September 12, 2006, 06:32 PM
Duane Adolph

Hi Dien,

1st Congratulations on the new SOWPUB forum and for recovering some of the archives.

THANK YOU!

the search function on this forum is also a lot better :->

The Threaded view is preferrable.

Duane
Old September 12, 2006, 08:32 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks for your feedback...

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Wow, it's starting to look like a "landslide"!

Unless the "tide turns" and we got an avalanche of votes going the other way, I'll work on implementing the "threaded" look...

It will take a little work to implement (because it's an "unofficial" modification), but hope to get that done very soon! (By the weekend, perhaps...)

Thanks for your feedback... and feel free to continue voting either way...

- Dien
Old September 13, 2006, 12:38 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Another good reason to change the forum to implement "threaded" views is so particular posts within a thread can be referenced directly to another related post. It can't be done now on the new forum, as each post does not have a separate ID number whereas the old forum did like the forum example you posted. In other words, you can only carry over the entire thread to reference it elsewhere.

Hi Phil,

Actually, you can reference individual posts - though it took me a while to realize it.

At the top right of each post, you'll see a number... it will have a format like this "#1" or "#11" or whatever... If you CLICK on that number, it will take you to the link to that individual post!

For example, here's the link to one of your posts, which is part of another thread...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showpost...45&postcount=3

Actually, if you want to make it look more "elegant", you can delete the "&postcount=X" part at the end, so the link is just

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5245

That number at the end is the individual number of the post...

(The number - 5245 in this case - is quite high because that post was added after I added most of the various posts currently in the archives... Once I add more of the archives that number on new posts will become over 30,000 ... However, for individual posts, that number won't change, so you can use it to link to individual posts...)

Quote:
Hopefully, this makes some sense and at this point it looks like the Red team is winning with a three quarter Vote.

Yes, the vote is looking pretty one-sided!

- Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : September 13, 2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old September 13, 2006, 08:13 PM
RickC

Dien,

Your forum will be great no matter what, and I guess I am always familiar with the status quo. But I really like a threaded message. The old SOW had it, and FIB has it, and it's so easy to relate to (at least for me).

No matter what, keep up the good work. This is one of the best forums for exchange.

Rick
Old September 13, 2006, 08:39 PM
Jim Kaiser

Wow, I was one who voted to keep the current style.

I'm a big fan of clean and uncluttered.

I like to mix things up a bit and test new stuff all the time. Change is always good IMO, if for no other reason than than just to try something new and see how it works.

Oh well, I guess majority will rule here.

I'm curious Dien, what do you prefer? It's okay for you to be the dictator here, this is your house and people will abide by whatever you do here.

I doubt that you will lose any visitors either way.

Jim