SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 3, 2003, 11:00 PM
Ken Black

Default Flash Websites ...

Hi, what is your opinion on Flash websites vs. pure HTML websites ? Flash sites are very advanced now, as you know. They download fast, and the home page contains pure HTML and text so that search engine spiders can index pages. The home pages also have a button where you can skip the flash intro etc.

I have always heard that Flash home pages or sites were bad because someone who visits your site wants "information now" and does not want to wait for anything. Perhaps this is changing considering how advanced everything is getting.

I'm re-doing a couple of my sites and that is why I am asking for your expert opinions. Flash sites look very professional and can offer audio links on the home page and more.

My thinking is that these type of sites may be become more popular as time goes by because they look so good, the intros and music are often very embracing, and because people may be getting tired of the same old type of information only sites (eg. Just text and maybe some pictures).

Any wisdom on this would be appreciated. Thank you. This is an excellent Forum.
Old September 4, 2003, 12:00 AM
Lynn Terry

Default Re: Flash Websites ...

Hello Ken - Great question!

My personal opinion is that a good mix of html, content, and flash images create a very professional appearance. I *dont* like "flash intros" - its irritating, and takes at least 3-5 seconds to get past it, on a fast connection (LOL - time, its all about time nowadays!).

What I do like is when a website has flash images integrated into the layout. It gives the page flavor (and a much richer flavor than an animated gif).

I look forward to hearing other opinions!

examples
Old September 4, 2003, 06:20 AM
Andras Nagy

Default Re: Fancy but do you convert with it?

I am a web-techie and jack-of-all-trades. I’m however first and foremost a marketer. I do not believe you will convert with a fancy-schmancy web page anyone. If you need a web page for a promotional purpose I would say go for it. If you want to sell as direct marketer very few people will "fall" for the looks. You will need to be online for a while. You will need a great ad copy; you will undoubtedly need a fast web site that informs and very well out together. You will need some endorsements and clout, the fact the people know your name helps. Warren Buffet could sell an investment book on a one page crappy web site, Joe Investor may not even if he has the best flash page....
Cheers
Andras
> Hi, what is your opinion on Flash websites
> vs. pure HTML websites ? Flash sites are
> very advanced now, as you know. They
> download fast, and the home page contains
> pure HTML and text so that search engine
> spiders can index pages. The home pages also
> have a button where you can skip the flash
> intro etc.

> I have always heard that Flash home pages or
> sites were bad because someone who visits
> your site wants "information now"
> and does not want to wait for anything.
> Perhaps this is changing considering how
> advanced everything is getting.

> I'm re-doing a couple of my sites and that
> is why I am asking for your expert opinions.
> Flash sites look very professional and can
> offer audio links on the home page and more.

> My thinking is that these type of sites may
> be become more popular as time goes by
> because they look so good, the intros and
> music are often very embracing, and because
> people may be getting tired of the same old
> type of information only sites (eg. Just
> text and maybe some pictures).

> Any wisdom on this would be appreciated.
> Thank you. This is an excellent Forum.

The Trading Coach
Old September 4, 2003, 04:24 PM
Michael Ross (Aust, Qld)

Default KISS

> vs. pure HTML websites ?

Keep it simple. And that means AVOID flash or any other unnecessary elements.

A recent example of a flash website was the one Boyd linked to. I left a follow up post stating I could NOT use that site in any way because it depended on flash. And I don't allow "plug-ins" to run without my permission. I am not going to run a plug-in just to view a site.

Forcing a visiter to download something to view your site is bad. Too much hassle.

Flash sites are
> spiders can index pages.

A page can only download as fast as the slowest connection in the route the packets travel to your computer. If all routers are 56k (for example) and you're using a 14k modem, your download will be VERY slow.

The home pages also
> intro etc.

Now that is asking me to take further action just to view a site. The more choices I am forced to take just to view the stuff I want, the more I am likely to depart.

True. Even a large graphic is enough to make many people hit the back button.

In a perfect world where everyone has cable modems or satellite internet, the developers will give even less consideration to fast loading and will go stupid with the page sizes. And even IF loading is fast there are still people who do NOT want to be forced to download something to view a site.

HTML can also offer audio links. HTML sites also look professional.

MUSIC? You play music to me and I am outta there. Let me be the one to start the music or whatever. But do NOT force it upon me.

Having said all this... you really need to consult with your target market.

If your site is an information site, then keep it simple. Avoid flash and other objects that require the plug-ins to run, or require someone to download something to view your site.

Michael Ross

Keeping It Simple
Old September 4, 2003, 04:56 PM
Barbara Camisa

Hi Ken,

A few things that flash is useful for in business are presentations, tutorials, and product or service tours.

Sites done entirely in flash are popular in the entertainment industry. I've also enjoyed a lot of entertaining cartoons done in flash.

As Lynn pointed out, flash elements can give a nice touch to certain type of sites.

Actually, flash always had fast-loading capability. Many flash pages loaded so slowly only because the authors of those slow-loading pages hadn't perfected that aspect of flash creation. I recall an art retail site I had critiqued back in early 2000 that was done entirely in flash. It was a real beauty!

Of course it's important to have an HTML alternative. The link to the HTML site should be placed prominently.

I suppose it can be useful on sales page for demonstration purposes.

Barbara Camisa

> vs. pure HTML websites ? Flash sites are
> spiders can index pages. The home pages also
> intro etc.

> Any wisdom on this would be appreciated.
> Thank you. This is an excellent Forum.
Old September 4, 2003, 05:47 PM
Tom B.

A few of my comments about Flash:

Firstly, Flash can be used to create tiny web sites that loader faster than HTML equivalents. This is because they reuse the same elements-only 1 button can be reused many times for different things.

Another way to look at it it to imagine the roof of a house. Only 1 tile is used over and over again to create the image of that roof.

The problem is in the designers who can't help themselves. They have spent so long learning Flash, they can't resist overkill.

A classic example is the intro page.
Intro pages are basically self-indulgent and serve no purpose. But they are also old fashioned now and on the way out.

As far as sound goes, Flash is the best option for streaming sound virtually instantaneously.
Sound as in talking, not music.
Talking is beginning to take off with Real Estate and interactive apps.

Split tests have shown voice on a website INCREASES sales on a website, on an ebay sales item and on email. It adds credibility.

Flash has the highest penetration of any plug-in on the net, even higher than Java. The last figure I saw from macromedia had a 98.3% penetration, which is no doubt higher now because Windows XP comes standard with Flash.

This means for all intents and purposes, everyone can view Flash.

For high price products where you need to look professional, slick and at the top of your game, Flash is a definite edge.

I sell a service to tradeshows for $2500.
A white page with copy isn't going to work.
They want to SEE what they get.
That's what you can do with Flash. You can morph before and after pics to graphically show the difference, add speech and build a demo where the user experiences something.

If you are selling $20 booklets, it doesnt matter.

It's all relative.

For some applications Flash is a powerful presentation tool that can also be taken offline.
I have embedded movie clips etc on a CD Rom which gets sent out to prospects. It's a great showcase.

In my opinion, Flash is unstoppable because it can do so much, online and offline. It is in the latest operating systems and browsers. More applications are Falsh compliant, and with each new version it becomes more powerful and can do more.

I think soon it will be all pervasive.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Tom B.
Old September 9, 2003, 07:13 PM
Shawn Pringle

Default Depends on your visitors

Agreed, flash looks better, but who will be seeing it?

As a drastic example, if you sell an e-book on how to repair your 486, or how to get more speed out of your 28.8 modem then guess what, your target audience won't have flash, so go HTML.

But, if you're marketing broadband tools/services to IT professionals than definitely go with flash.

You just don't want to leave anybody out that may buy your product otherwise, that's all.

Bulletproof Protection For Your Clickbank Product