SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 21, 2006, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

Default Need Promotion Advice, Please

A car dealer asked me to do a website for him, and I put one together that I feel looks exceptionally nice.

This is going to be his own site, but it came about because I'M ALSO DOING A SITE IN THE COMMUNITY and originally had mentioned I would provide a page for him for advertising in the site, but then he asked me to do a complete site for him.

What would be some strategies at this point, as far as:

1. Promoting my community car site in which he would be included (need very low-cost methods).

2. Offering other additional services to promote his site separately (since he might be paying me more?
Old December 21, 2006, 02:55 PM
Don Alm

Default Re: Need Promotion Advice, Please

1) Go to a local Radio or TV Station and tell them you will put THEIR Call Letters on a "Banner" at the TOP of the car dealer website AND your community site....in exchange for some FREE Commercials for your 2 sites.

2a) Set up a "Site for local Car Dealers"....call it "YourTownCars"...... where their dealership LOGO will be displayed on the Home Page AND....they can upload photos of their cars. You'll need a special software program for this, unless you want them to send you the photos and info and YOU upload to your site.

2b) Go to a local Radio or TV station (TV preferred).....tell them you would like to set up a "JV" (Joint Venture) with them where you will pay them $50 a month for each Car Dealer who has cars on your site. You then collect $200 to $400 a month from each Dealer...depending on how many cars they put up.

Here's an example of the most successful and longest running sites of this kind; http://www.minnesotacars.com

Another guy has been running the following site for a number of years with about 20 Car Dealers paying him around $500/mo. http://www.nwautopage.com
Only one problem here is....he VISITS his car dealer clients each month, takes photos of the vehicles they got in and uploads to his site. He has a "route" where he sees 4 Dealers a day....5 days a week. Nice money BUT, he can't take many vacations....he's GOT TO be on his dealers lots EVERY DAY. He does local radio, Newspaper & TV spots which HE pays for.

Good luck to you,

Don Alm
Midas Report
http://www.donalm.com
Old December 21, 2006, 03:14 PM
Don Alm

I just noticed....MinesotaCars is now publishing a "Car Catalog" similar to "AutoTrader"....so...they don't really need to "JV" with local radio or tv stations any longer HOWEVER....that was how they started.

They now also have BILLBOARDS in their area of Southern Minnesota.

There's a TV Station in the Seattle area that has a similar site where they promote the "Community Car Dealers" site with commercials. Whether the station set this up themselves or an individual did...I'm not sure. I'll let you know the site when I find it.

Don Alm
Old December 21, 2006, 03:42 PM
Don Alm

Actually....I just checked my local area Car Dealers in the YP and thru a friend who builds and hosts a lot of websites here. 10 years after the internet really got going...MOST Used Car Dealers in MY area do NOT have an "internet presence".

I think that NOWADAYS these dealers DO REALIZE the internet is HERE to stay and is a good way to help them sell cars.

I believe if you can put together a "Community Cars" site....you could get at least $200 a month from each participating USED Car Dealer. With just TEN dealers paying you $2500/mo.

Heck....if you simply offer to stop by their lot and take photos of their new stock and upload to your site....I'll bet you could get $25 per vehicle. Visit each dealer once a week.

The USED Car market around here is still strong. Taking photos of 4 USED Car Dealer's cars a Day (20 photos a day)....could put $500 in your pocket a DAY. Start out by charging $25 per car for 1 to 3 cars....$15/car for 4 or more.

You could even hire a high school kid and have him take the pictures for $5 a shot.

This gets my ol' "juices flowing".

The OPPORTUNITY IS THERE! Here's why;
A project like this takes "Personal Contact". MOST people nowadays do NOT want to make "personal calls". They'd rather eat dog doo.
This leaves the potential market pretty much WIDE OPEN....for people who do NOT mind making "personal Calls".

And it's really NOT that tough. Put together a presentation showing;
a) How they can benefit
b) What you will do for them
c) How much you will charge

Then just GO SEE YOUR PROPECTS! They WON'T BITE YOU!

Don Alm

Don Alm
Old December 21, 2006, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

Default Thanks!

Don, thanks for all of this great input. I was aware of the NW page an Minnesota you mentioned from previous postings, but this new input is really great stuff.
Old December 21, 2006, 11:43 PM
Don Alm

Default Here's a Software Program...

This software has been around for a number of years now...maybe Phil knows of something else.

Go to http://www.interactivetools.com and click on their "Auto Manager" program to see what it does. Cost is $300 and you also get to "interact" with their free Forum. Tech Support is Superb.

Also...Steve MacLellan up in Nova Scotia found a similar program when he was setting up his "Community Car" site. Ask Steve. He's over on Willie Crawford's Forum... http://www.williecrawford.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Don Alm
Old December 21, 2006, 04:56 PM
Phil

Here's help with number 1...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7229

Phil