SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 23, 2011, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Default Harvey Brody's SECRET to success is...

THE Secret to Harvey Brody’s success really is…
In this series of posts, I’m going to reveal Harvey’s REAL secret. Probably in the third or fourth post down, have to make you wade through this other stuff first. OH, there is IMPORTANT information, and some worthwhile ideas here…but the BIG Secret will have to wait.
First, a little history for new SowPubbers and a refresher memo for old timers.
Up until my heart attack in Sep. 08, for about two years or so, I was on the phone with Harvey several times a week. I recorded all the calls with his permission and encouragement. I also took COPIOUS notes at his insistence.
About the 10th time I heard him talk about the view from the roof, I rolled my eyes and signed, “Here we go again.” Around the 20th time I heard it, it finally clicked in. It is one of the most important pieces of information I’ve ever received, in fact, it is my opinion to be the only tool from Harvey’s toolbox you need.
However, it is only one of many tools he has. As I review my notes and the dozens of hours of our phone chats, I made a list and here are a few Harvey concepts… The Classic Take Off, Chocks under the wheels of an idling plane, Going to Chicago from Akron, Magnets and Iron filings, Safe Harbor, Toll Position, Supply and Demand and I could go on and on.
And I heard about these over and over and I should note, Harvey sent me a big box of his courses from his warehouse…although I had the original course and NEWSLETTERS when I was a customer and before my Great Flood which wiped out my library.
I’ve worked with and for many successful people, and the word Genius and Brilliant are tossed around like a tennis ball at Wimbledon…yet, I’ve found very few of even the most successful men, and many of the riches to be anything but Brilliant. Amazing how average and ordinary so much of success really is, it gives us hope.
But I knew five men who were/are brilliant. I say it like that because two of them have passed and the third is the very vibrant Harvey Brody who is having as much fun as a starving Gary Halbert student has at a cheap hamburger stand in the middle of the desert.
I’ll get to Harvey’s genius and brilliance in a while…and his BIG secret in a follow up post.
The other two men were Burt Morgan and Ed Barr, both of whom I’ve written extensively about over the last decade. Burt Morgan was one of the last great industrialists/Entrepreneurs who made his fortune through manufacturing and other industrialized business ventures. But he also was a great thinker, and one of his brainchildren was Concept Development, a Venture Capital firm looking for big and small investment opportunities. I guess once you own your own bank you look for places to invest your money.

Burt Morgan is a great study if you are interested in achieving massive success…you know, the Fortune 500 kind. His book, Start at the Top, has one of the great motivational lines ever written…ït is better to get shot out of the water than to rot at the dock. Think about it.
During one of our lunch meetings he revealed a new project he was really excited about, an inflatable dome to go over sports stadiums…even had a miniature one to display. Like MOST of Burt’s outrageous ideas, nothing became of it. And he told me only one in ten ideas he has ever get to the market place…but that didn’t stop him from filling up dozens of notebooks with these gems.
He was living proof that it one took one great idea to do spectacular business and although he was as good a judge as anyone ever was on the marketability of ideas, he had a blind spot, one he readily
He also invested in scores of new businesses, some big, some small one man ideas. I loved seeing Burt get excited…and he always did when I picked up the tab for his knockwurst sandwich lunch…he saw that as an Entrepreneurial victory (once tried to charge me a 100 bux to autograph his book…always the hustler in a good sort of a way).
Burton Morgan was a money=making business building genius and he left a legacy which still funds Entrepreneur ventures. He WAS brilliant.
So was Ed Barr, whom I’ll tell you about in the next post…which leads up to my exposing Harvey Brody’s Biggest Secret…
Gordon Jay Alexander
Old June 23, 2011, 05:56 PM
Balzrael

Default Re: Harvey Brody's SECRET to success is...

You say 5 people influenced you the most: Harvey Brody, Burt Morgan, Ed Barr, Gary Halbert (maybe from what I guess from what you wrote), and Mr X?

Who is the 5th person? (And is Gary Halbert the 4th?)

PS: I can't wait to find out Harvey Brody's secret. (And what exactly is the roof top view). In fact I am interested in all of Harvey Brody teachings. Can't wait for him to release his new course.
Old June 23, 2011, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Default To be more accurate...

No, what I said was I knew 5 who were Genius/Brillant when it came to business/making money. I've had more influence exerted upon me by other people...

That being said...HA Gary Halbert...not even in my top 150. The guy could write, no doubt. One of the best ever in the advertising game...he would have been the first to admit to "do as I say, not as I do"when it came to building a lasting business. He readily and often admitted he didn't have what it takes to sustain a business, other than his copywriting and publishing business. He may have been a genius in his writing, but Gary had NO influence on me in the money making/business sense.

The view from the rooftop is quite simple, let me ask you a question.

Can you see more of your neighborhood if you were on top of the roof or standing on the ground in front of your home?

Consider your project/goal as completed, what do you see? How do you get to the rooftop? Let's say there is a ladder you can use, what would be the step off rung that puts you on the top?

What would be the rung beneath that? What would the first rung be? How do you get to the top?

Powerful stuff for the thinkers out there.

The other two geniuses/brillant men were Fred "Papa" Felice who turned down a million dollars in cash for his small little neighborhood pizza shop and a guy named Buchholzer, who owned malls and other stuff and said he never invested in anything he couldn't control. Risk aversion? Perhaps. Self made multi-millionaire? You bet.

Although these men were influential, they weren't the top 5 influencers, but a group of men who shared/share one thing in common...they knew how to think things through in an A to Z, soup to nuts, successful manner.

Thanks for asking.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. One of the events which had a huge impact on Harvey Brody's life was when he was flat on his back and couldn't move, he had day after day to do nothing but THINK and he used his time wisely. I think he would say it was a time which he is now very grateful for and may have been the reason for his great health and his great thinking ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzrael View Post
You say 5 people influenced you the most: Harvey Brody, Burt Morgan, Ed Barr, Gary Halbert (maybe from what I guess from what you wrote), and Mr X?

Who is the 5th person? (And is Gary Halbert the 4th?)

PS: I can't wait to find out Harvey Brody's secret. (And what exactly is the roof top view). In fact I am interested in all of Harvey Brody teachings. Can't wait for him to release his new course.
Old June 23, 2011, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Default Ed Barr was a genius/brillant man.

Ed Barr was a serial Entrepreneur.

He owned an oil and gas company. Several Hallmark stores. Several restaurants (upscale, and some of the best in Northeast Ohio), real estate including a stable and practice track for thoroughbred horses...

His strategy was to DIVERSIFY. He liked to have a solid base, which was his gas and oil company and then he would play "Monopoly".

I once made streusal with Ed in one of his restaurants...it was his mother's recipe. This is how he relaxed once in awhile by making stuff in one of his kitchens.

But the thing I most loved about Ed was this: he was a passionate philantropist for certain non profits, including Hope Homes. My wife and I were the first direct care staff Hope Homes hired and I worked there 8 years and my wife (ex) stayed for 27. Ed Barr was a true friend of Hope Homes. But that is a story for another day.

The lessons I learned from Ed, and probably the most important was, install good people into key positions and stay out of their way and let them do their thing. Let them know you are available, accessible but don't micro manage and correct privately without passion.

I believe he was universally loved by his employees and he was loyal to them.

Also, he taught me that businesses have LIFE CYCLES. Something few successful people keep an eye on...many will just continue to do what took them to the top and not make any adjustments when trends changed.

He kept his fingers on all of his customer's pulses, and when he felt change, he made changes. Pretty simple stuff.

So the take aways secrets for SowPubbers so far regarding my picks on geniuses/brillant men are:

It is better to get shot out of the water than to rot at the dock, says Burt Morgan.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, and when they start to smell, get new ones, courtesy of Ed Barr.

NOW for the Big Secret from Harvey Brody.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. I feel it is a great disservice to both these titans of business to sum up a lifetime of work in a sentence or even in a post or two...but I'm sure both of them would appreciate the mention none the less.
Old June 23, 2011, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Default OK, here is the big secret.

Truthfully, I've already told you. And just as it is difficult to sum up the successful lives of two great men like Burt Morgan and Ed Barr in a short post, so it will seem regarding Harvey Brody's "SECRET" TOO.

AND, I should state for the public record, this is my opinion, and Harvey may have an entirely different opinion on this...but,

his BIGGEST SECRET, which has kept him successful for over 55 years, without a downturn, without all the drama of so many of his contemporaries, most of whom have had bankruptcies, business failures, lawsuts, divorces, and Trouble with a capital T, all while Harvey was blissfully sailing along and in total control of his life, business and money making activites...

IS...

He is a superior THINKER. He thinks differently than the average Entrepreneur, even the very successful ones.

In fact, it is what all my guys have... they simply OUT THINK the competition.

It didn't hurt any that they kept their carnal appetites in check too...oh, they enjoy nice homes and all trappings that come with financial freedom...but they never felt entitlement nor did they lose everything by being a Clinton/Weiner, you know, the guys who can't keep themselves zipped up.

They are all without scandal.
They are all built on strong moral character.
They all felt a sense of there being a HIGHER POWER.

Harvey told me the story of when he made this discovery at age 10 staring into the night sky. Ed Barr and Burt Morgan were involved in their religions and churches.

They all felt it was a God given duty to become the best they could be...and one path which helped them stay on the straight and narrow was their THINKING.

See, Harvey taught me that the view from the rooftop was the same as the view from the ground...a hard concept to wrap your arms around...but until you understand it, you may flounder.

I believe there aren't 3 people reading this who have a written ONE year goal, along with step by step, rung by rung action steps that will automatically take them there...ONCE they decide and finalize the vision, the view from the rooftop.

There is a lot of wishing, hoping, even some Law of Attraction behavior going on...but climbing a ladder to the top is ACTION, well thought out, with everything checked off on the pre flight take off...the chocks removed from the wheels, and a flight plan to take you to your goal with a contingency in place for emergencies.

OH, Harvey was in the Air Force, it shouldn't be a surprise many of his metaphors come from there...where as I prefer the Nautical, even better, a submarine approach to my metaphors. HA!

So there you have the BIG secret. Pretty much the same thing Harvey wrote about in the FREE PDF we had posted here a few years back and one I'm sure will get posted to...I know the one guy has it posted on his web site.

There you go. Some of you have had Harvey's secret for over 5 yeas now, but you keep waiting for him to tell you more...keep waiting if your prefer, or USE what valuable knowledge and experience he has already shared here and through Dien Rice and myself.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. Wearing blinders up the ladder prevents the greener pastures to be seen, as the higher you climb, the more distractions there COULD BE.