SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 26, 2007, 07:42 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Back Up, Anti Virus, Firewall Software Recomendations?

Greetings,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Would like recommendations for three types of software...

#1: Backup. Software that will run once a day, say 2am or something, and will BackUp new and altered files to a Disk/Location of my choice such as a second hard drive or an external hard drive.

#2: Anti Virus. And not Norton or Mcaffee. Something more along the lines of AVG or Avast.

#3: Firewall. Something else besides Zone Alarm.

Michael Ross
Old September 26, 2007, 09:59 AM
Bigmack5

Default Re: Back Up, Anti Virus, Firewall Software Recomendations?

Micheal, here is a back up offer. I haven't used it yet, but it looks interesting.
http://mozy.com/

Mack
Old September 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
FirstBorn

Default Here's #2 on Your List.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
Greetings,

Would like recommendations for:
#2: Anti Virus. And not Norton or Mcaffee. Something more along the lines of AVG or Avast.

Michael Ross

Hi Michael,

Thanks for ASKing about Anti-Virus Solutions.

Here is MY Number 1 ALL-Time Pick for an Anti-Virus program:
http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/p..._id=25&n_id=58
(Explains a bit about it)
Bottom of URL above has the following link:
http://archive.bitdefender.com/bd/site/mirrors.php

Just download the ISO (and MD5) files.
IF You know how to burn an ISO file (image) to a CD,
then You'll have Yourself an AWESOME Boot CD.

You will use this CD to boot to a Linux Operating System called Knoppix.
( http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix52-en.html )
and, MOST IMPORTANTLY,
You will be able to SCAN Your PC for virii
WITHOUT
Being
Booted
to Windows!

What an AWESOME CD!!!

Anyway, Hope that Answers Your Q.
(and that You try it out successfully... it works and it's what *I* Use.)

Christopher
Old September 26, 2007, 02:38 PM
Sandi Bowman

Hi, Michael,

I use NOD 32 from Eset.com for my anti-virus. It updates daily and silently then notifies you, which you can ignore (it goes away after awhile) or click on to make disappear. It can be programmed to do it your way and when you say...that's just my choices above.

I have Webroot Spysweeper but only activate it occasionally as a doublecheck. It's a terrible resource hog, however, so I don't keep it activated.

I use Spybot occasionally, especially if the system starts to slow down.

Kerio from http://www.sunbelt-software.com is an excellent firewall.

For backup, check out Acronis. You can do all kinds of backups and other things with it to various media. They're nice folks to deal with, too. I got a prompt, pleasant, and appreciated reply to my inquiry. My husband has my original now as I use Nero for my backups to disk since I set my new system up differently.

Hope this helps.

Sandi Bowman
Old September 26, 2007, 03:10 PM

Thanks for asking Michael. Here are the softwares I use:

1. Backup: SynchBack
http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

I have a 250GB hard-drive for backup.

2. Anti-virus: Clamwin
http://www.clamwin.com/

I don't use a Firewall. With my ISP, a firewall leads to more problems than its worth it. But if I had to use one, I would use Comodo.
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

All of these softwares are free.

I do run Ad-aware once a month too.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
Old September 27, 2007, 03:41 AM
Phil

Michael,

Since you've already got some Great recommendations...

Here's another related piece of the puzzle...

Excellent Free or by Donation must have/use software & Tools...

Over 85 million downloads...
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Phil
Old September 27, 2007, 08:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
Greetings,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Would like recommendations for three types of software...

#1: Backup. Software that will run once a day, say 2am or something, and will BackUp new and altered files to a Disk/Location of my choice such as a second hard drive or an external hard drive.

#3: Firewall. Something else besides Zone Alarm.

Michael Ross

Michael,

The best (and most restrictive, tamper proof) firewall I've found is from a company called NetVeda, and the product is SafetyNet. Setup is not trivial, but it's not so hard you can't figure it out. (Hint: If something's not working right, check App Trust.)

The thing won't let ANYTHING out without your specific approval. That means even if you contract something malicious just by surfing, it can't call home without your express permission. A password can be set, so that only you can change the settings.

I think it was Norton I had that was altered by a bug, but I caught accidently it before any damage was done.

A product I use on my FreeBSD box is fwbuilder. You build the firewall yourself. I intend to try it on Windows, since it doesn't try to be a catchall like Norton or the others. You specifically allow or deny what can and cannot get into your computer.

With respect to virus software, a recent report I read indicated that most of those were as vulnerable as the machine they're trying to protect!

I use AVG, the free edition. The only virus' I've had are those I got when I was downlo--er, I was doin' stuff I oughtn't.

I also have a hardware router that doesn't have built in virus protection, but the network address translation effectively shields my computer from drive-by crap.

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a cheap report explaining what needs to be done BEFORE surfing with a new or reloaded computer. Root Kits, trojans, emails, viruses, and the "Storm Botnet" thrive because of what people "think" they know.

But who am I kidding? Most people very proudly proclaim their ignorance, or just as proudly declare crap that's just . . .

Well, didn't mean to get on my soapbox.

Hope the stuff before the rant helps.

marye
Old September 27, 2007, 08:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Michael,

The best (and most restrictive, tamper proof) firewall I've found is from a company called NetVeda, and the product is SafetyNet. Setup is not trivial, but it's not so hard you can't figure it out. (Hint: If something's not working right, check App Trust.)

The thing won't let ANYTHING out without your specific approval. That means even if you contract something malicious just by surfing, it can't call home without your express permission. A password can be set, so that only you can change the settings.

I think it was Norton I had that was altered by a bug, but I caught accidently it before any damage was done.

A product I use on my FreeBSD box is fwbuilder. You build the firewall yourself. I intend to try it on Windows, since it doesn't try to be a catchall like Norton or the others. You specifically allow or deny what can and cannot get into your computer.

With respect to virus software, a recent report I read indicated that most of those were as vulnerable as the machine they're trying to protect!

I use AVG, the free edition. The only virus' I've had are those I got when I was downlo--er, I was doin' stuff I oughtn't.

I also have a hardware router that doesn't have built in virus protection, but the network address translation effectively shields my computer from drive-by crap.

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a cheap report explaining what needs to be done BEFORE surfing with a new or reloaded computer. Root Kits, trojans, emails, viruses, and the "Storm Botnet" thrive because of what people "think" they know.

But who am I kidding? Most people very proudly proclaim their ignorance, or just as proudly declare crap that's just . . .

Well, didn't mean to get on my soapbox.

Hope the stuff before the rant helps.

marye

Sorry, I didn't mention backups. I just keep Windows on a physically separate drive, and everything that doesn't INSIST on being on the C:\ drive on another one. Then I just back up whatever I can't easily restore via copy to my Unix box (a separate computer.)
Old September 27, 2007, 08:15 AM
marye

Default SHEESH! (was Re: Back Up, yadda..)

I wasn't logged in, so no name on my post.

But I read the recommendations from Sandi, Ankesh, and Phil, and realized that their picks were also on my short-list. After researching, I just happened to pick what I did.

You won't go wrong choosing my recommendations or theirs, or mix and match.

There! Got that settled for ya!'

marye
Old September 27, 2007, 08:20 AM
Larry Foster

Michael, from someone who has been through the fire, here is my absolute guaranteed solution.
Back up Acronis Will do everything you want it to do.
Anti-virus Pc-Cillin from Trend Micro
Been using them for around 5 years. Reliable and (so far) never a problem.
Has a built in firewall.
I'm pretty anal about viruses after the nasty attack a long time ago.
Pc-Cillin is real time protection. Mine is set to check for updates every couple hours. I do a full scan of my hard drive twice a week automatically.
That said, I also manually use Adaware SE from Lavasoft, Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware as well as . These are all free and I only run these every week or two.
I've gone through about 5 backup programs and Acronis is the best I've tried. Worst? Norton Ghost.