SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 17, 2017, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default Book reviews. Today 3.

I picked up some books the other day while at BAM. One I suggest a FEW of you get your hands on.
nn
It is WHAT MOTIVATES ME by Adrian Gostick and Chester Elton. If you buy they book, you get a key for a free assessment at www.thecultureworks.com

It is a different slant on the use of personalities to create more effective teams and individuals.

The reason I suggest it for some of you is, you are fighting against yourself, and keep repeating the loop, continuing to go in circles and burning through precious time because you don't know who you are.

They offer an assessment to help give you an idea of your "Identity" (they have 5 types)...along with your motivations.

I did my assessment yesterday, and I think it got ME right on. Nothing I didn't know already, but some insight into how best maximize my efforts.

BOOK 2. SALES EQ by Jeb Blount. Being a sales junkie, I usually pick up everything new, but not much new here, although if you are just starting out, his tack on sales might suit you just fine. It does offer some insight into the psychology of selling, if you are an avid reader/student of sales, good addition for your library.

BOOK 3. Outdoor Life's: PREPARE FOR ANYTHING SURVIVAL MANUAL, by Tim Macwelch and the editors of OUTDOOR LIFE.

Lots of pics and 333 Survival Skills. NOT for preppers or survivalists, more for a new person to the subject, but it makes a nice coffee table type book, and gives food for thought. I like flipping through, mainly to get some laughs at some of their ideas, but it is good enough to be a starter or an introduction. May be a grab and go book for the uninitiated too.

Those are the first of several book reviews. Have you read any of these?

Gordon
Old September 18, 2017, 08:53 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks for those reviews, Gordon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I picked up some books the other day while at BAM. One I suggest a FEW of you get your hands on.
nn
It is WHAT MOTIVATES ME by Adrian Gostick and Chester Elton. If you buy they book, you get a key for a free assessment at www.thecultureworks.com

It is a different slant on the use of personalities to create more effective teams and individuals.

The reason I suggest it for some of you is, you are fighting against yourself, and keep repeating the loop, continuing to go in circles and burning through precious time because you don't know who you are.

They offer an assessment to help give you an idea of your "Identity" (they have 5 types)...along with your motivations.

I did my assessment yesterday, and I think it got ME right on. Nothing I didn't know already, but some insight into how best maximize my efforts.

BOOK 2. SALES EQ by Jeb Blount. Being a sales junkie, I usually pick up everything new, but not much new here, although if you are just starting out, his tack on sales might suit you just fine. It does offer some insight into the psychology of selling, if you are an avid reader/student of sales, good addition for your library.

BOOK 3. Outdoor Life's: PREPARE FOR ANYTHING SURVIVAL MANUAL, by Tim Macwelch and the editors of OUTDOOR LIFE.

Lots of pics and 333 Survival Skills. NOT for preppers or survivalists, more for a new person to the subject, but it makes a nice coffee table type book, and gives food for thought. I like flipping through, mainly to get some laughs at some of their ideas, but it is good enough to be a starter or an introduction. May be a grab and go book for the uninitiated too.

Those are the first of several book reviews. Have you read any of these?
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for sharing those new books! I hadn't heard of any of them...

"What Motivates Me" sounds like it could be useful... Sometimes I have a problem with motivation. My problem is I get bored easily... So I push myself to master something, then... Move on to the next thing to master... (A familiar story to some people, I'm sure...!)

The most interesting thing I've been listening to lately is a podcast, called "Faster Than Normal"... I plan to listen to the episodes... (It's related to ADD/ADHD.)

https://www.fasterthannormal.com/episodes/

A guy I recently got to know has around 200 advertising "light boxes" (i.e. backlit signs), brand new, still in the original boxes, unopened. I opened one up, and I confirmed it was in absolutely brand new condition (and took some photos as I did so). He's been "sitting" on them for years, planning to sell them - but never getting around to it... He said if I sell them, my cut is 25%. Not bad - it's chatteling without even putting up the cash!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old September 18, 2017, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Default Re: planning and then never getting around to it.

One nice thing about going to a bookstore, albeit, harder to find...is LOOKING on the shelves.

I saw all kinds of books I never heard of, took pics, bought several, searched Amazon for Kindle versions, and digital versions. Then, those that I wanted to read but not pay for, passed on to my local library who, based on history, will buy them.

Going OUT and seeing, experiencing what people are doing, being in a bookstore for a couple of hours, browsing, sipping an iced coffee, eating a scone, gets your creative juices flowing.

As for ADD/ADHD, the best thing which works for me, is; blocks of dedicated time, including for goofing off, or doing social activities.

My sweet spot is about 75 mins. Can do 90 to 2 hours, but 75 is what my optimal efficiency is. But the secret is to make certain blocks of time, sacred and unassailable. I write every morning first thing, while the coffee still hasn't kicked in, until it does, and until at least 75 mins have passed. Sometimes it goes for longer, but never shorter unless an emergency.

To avoid getting bored with the immersion into new things, have a related project, which you jump back and forth on, but together they add up. For example. I'm watching NARCOS on Netflix. But then I spend 15 to 30 mins right after doing a google history search of that time period. And compare it to what I was doing then. I was in Miami, for example, working for Amtrak, when the drugs started to flow in.

Point is, I stay interested in the TV show because it is historical, and relates to my generation, which leads me to be introspective, and in one sense, this process has brought me back to GrannyC and the Circular Pubs, which are still pulling in the dough.

So try combining your activities, say a study of NIBIRU with Black Holes (odd example perhaps). I love the end of the world guys, if only I had a dollar for every day in my lifetime the world was going to end...I'd be doing OK?

I think ADD has to be managed or controlled with methods which suit the individual, I don't think one size fits all.

But as for selling, Blount is probably the biggest opponent to the Gitomer styles of selling. I like the TOOTHPICK PETE method.

Best salesman I ever knew. His secret, he just didn't give a shet whether you bought anything or not, was always one of the top performers in every place he worked. Made tons of money, with a simple. "buy this--I'm the expert and you're not" approach.

Like with ADD/ADHD, whatever works for you.

Gordon