SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 28, 2011, 02:35 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Here it is (be prepared to be shocked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
If anyone can help me get my hands on the ads or knows anything about the history of the mag (Entrepreneur Magazine) and its founder I'd love to talk to you.
Hi Mitchell,

It's a fascinating story... But be prepared to be shocked...

From one article (which was published in 1986)...

-----
The founder of Los Angeles-based Entrepreneur magazine, Chase Revel, was arrested Thursday at his Pacific Palisades house on suspicion of being a convicted felon in possession of a handgun, forgery and perjury, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said.

Revel was convicted 20 years ago of two bank robberies and three attempted bank robberies in Houston and Las Vegas under his given name, John Leonard Burke.

That palimony suit, filed by Kristin Barrett-Whitney, alleged, among other things, that Revel, the author of a number of books on how to start small businesses, was actually Burke, the convicted bank robber. It also indicated that Revel had used the name Jacques Victor Baron, and as Baron had been convicted of mail fraud in a small business scheme in 1972.

Rooker said Thursday that he had confirmed that Revel, the author, was indeed the same man as Burke, the robber, and Baron, the perpetrator of a mail fraud scheme.
-----

More here - http://articles.latimes.com/1986-08-...eneur-magazine

From another article (published this year, 2011)...

-----
Chase Revel, who started Entrepreneur in the early 1970s, was a leading purveyor of goods and services related to the swift acquisition of wealth. His published works include 184 Businesses Anyone Can Start and Make a Lot of Money and 168 More Businesses Anyone Can Start and Make a Lot of Money. Revel's ideas ran the gamut from the seductive and legal to the nefarious and illegal. In 1966 he was sentenced to four years in prison under his given name, John Leonard Burke, for attempting to rob four banks in Houston in one day, according to articles published 20 years later by the Los Angeles Times. Revel (then Burke) hired helpers to deliver letters warning bank tellers that their children had been kidnapped. (Revel researched which employees had school-age kids.) The notes stated that the children would be returned only if the tellers surrendered large canvas bags stuffed with cash. In fact, no children had been snatched, and the scheme collapsed almost immediately.

After moving on to other pursuits, Revel continued to have scrapes with the authorities. As recently as 2006 he denied wrongdoing and paid $27,500 in a settlement of civil allegations by the Federal Trade Commission that he created false advertising for Gero Vita dietary supplements.
-----

More here - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...epreneurs.html

His life story is almost like a movie (and many of the things he's done are not things I'd recommend emulating)...

I only found this stuff out for myself recently. I had no idea!