SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 29, 2008, 11:09 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Are there two of them?

I heard, and have seen, some very negative things about the AWAI Michael Masterson and his product/company BUT I also hear about a Michael Masterson highly recommended by people I trust.

Based on what I know about the first Michael Masterson, I am dismayed to see folks I have trusted to this point, claim that Michael Masterson is one of their closest associates. I'm wondering if they are one and the same Michael Masterson or are there two different people with the same name on the internet?

Thanks!
Sandi Bowman
Old November 4, 2008, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Are there two of them?

I think its the same guy. He is just good at polarizing people. (By the way, Michael Masterson is a pen name.)

I've read a couple of the books written by him. And didn't find them very good. They were just ok. But I did like reading his newsletter EarlyToRise.com

The content is there in his books too. But they lack a coherent structure. They tell you what to do. Not how to do it.

To me, he is like Seth Godin. Good ideas. Not always good "implementable" reading.
Old November 4, 2008, 09:37 AM
Sandi Bowman

Thanks, Ankesh. I am aware of several pen names used by one Michael Masterson (the one I'm not in favor of, if indeed there are two different people).

You are right about the poor quality of his writings. I used to get his newsletter and it was tolerable but the course materials I saw were something else.

So, things are still as they were. I'll just have to accept that no personal judgement is beyond a few mistakes here and there. Even scoundrels can be charming sometimes. I still trust the other person but not necessarily their judgement calls regarding people.

You are probably right, Ankesh. I always value your input. Thanks!

Sandi Bowman
Old November 4, 2008, 05:55 PM
Garrett

The AWAI copywriting course is widely regarded as being a POS.

The only positive thing that can be said about it is that it introduces people to the concept of copywriting, what it is, how they can do it, and how they can make a career from it. There are many views of the course at copywritersboard.com. Few of them are favourable...

Michael Masterson's real name is, I believe, Mark Ford.

He changed it after allegedly getting caught up in some sort of real estate shenanigans, I think it was in Florida.

Most of the people who describe him in a good light are on some sort of affiliate deal, usually as follows.

"My great friend, brilliant marketer, all-round good guy, and saviour of the civilised world, Michael Masterson, has just released a great new course. Check it out at..."

www.I-have-absolutely-no-ethics-and-Michael-Masterson-isn't-really-a-friend-I'm-just-on-a-good-percentage-of-sales.com/myaffiliatelink.htm

Cheers!
Old November 5, 2008, 07:34 PM
Robert J.

Talking POS, huh?

Point of Sales?
Positively Outstanding Stuff?
Piece ... oh no you don't!
Robert J.
Old November 8, 2008, 01:12 AM
Goldblogger

Default AWAI Copywriting Course Highly Recommended

This is not a reply to Sandi or Garrett. It's obvious they have their opinions already.

I highly recommend the AWAI Copywriting course. It was recommended to me by my friend Allen Says, the founder of the Warrior Forum back in 2003 -- and what I learned in that course has made me hundreds of thousands of dollars in the 5 years since.

(Goldblogger: My Copywriting Course Arrives!)

My advice?

Don't take the advice or opinions of people that have never owned the products that they pan. All info-products come with a guarantee, allowing you to get your hands on a product and determine for yourself whether it will put money in your pocket or not.

I own tens of thousands of dollars in info-products. I have willingly... smilingly handed over money for an info-product knowing that I will find (what I call) a "key distinction" within it. That key distinction is what I am paying for.

Want an example?

Maybe you have seen Michael Ross's product "The Success Report" advertised here at SOWPUB. I bought that report years ago, and it remains one of the most valuable products I have ever purchased.

Why did I buy it?

For this bullet...

"The element in question has FAR MORE POWER THAN BELIEF and can turn you into a PERSISTENT ACTION DYNAMO capable of achieving anything you want in life."

THAT single piece of information is a key distinction. A piece of info that I would have paid hundreds of dollars to know -- and has made me thousands of dollars.

If the AWAI contains ONE key distinction that will turn you into a better copywriter, then you would be a fool not to buy it. If it helps you to improve your sales letters conversion rate from 1% to 2%, you have just DOUBLED your profits!

What if the AWAI course could help you to improve your conversion rate to 3 or 4%?

Money well spent.

Aloha,

Jason Cain
Old November 8, 2008, 04:59 AM

Default Re: AWAI Copywriting Course Highly Recommended

Thanks Jason for recommending AWAI copywriting course.

Disclosure: I have not bought AWAI's course.

Now thats out of the way, wanted to respond to:

Quote:
All info-products come with a guarantee, allowing you to get your hands on a product and determine for yourself whether it will put money in your pocket or not.

Reviewing these info-products take time. The question of opportunity cost arises. So even when these info products come with money back guarantees, I think searching for reviews online is a good thing to do.

A question needs to be answered before you buy-in: Is that particular course the best course at that price range in the market right now?

----

What are the best copywriting info-products / books that you have read Jason?

(When I've been asked that question, I always reply: start with Joe Sugarman books.)
Old November 8, 2008, 01:38 PM
Goldblogger

Default Best Copywriting Books I Have Read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
What are the best copywriting info-products / books that you have read Jason?

I decided to change the question to PRODUCTS instead of books.

The best copywriting products I have read...

1. How to Turn Your Web Site Into An Unstoppable Sales Machine! by Marlon Sanders (His bullet writing method is the one I use.)
2.The Robert Collier Letter Book
3. Breakthrough Advertising -- Eugene Schwartz
4. AWAI Copywriting Course
5. How to Write a Good Advertisement by Victor O. Schwab
6. Triggers by Joe Sugarman
7. 2,239 Tested Secrets For Direct Marketing Success by Denny Hatch
8. Method Marketing by Dension Hatch
9. Tested Advertising Methods
10. Scientific Advertising
Old November 9, 2008, 02:55 PM
Sandi Bowman

Hi, Jason,

Thanks for dismissing my comments so handily. Yes, I have made up my mind about AWAI. Read the following and you'll know why.

I have seen and read AWAI training materials etc and I was NOT impressed. As a copy writer with over 40 years experience, I can say that the content is minimal in quality and virtually nonexistent in depth and breadth. It's good only for neophytes to the world of copy writing.

I'm glad it helped you but, for most folks, it'd be a waste of time and money. There are much better offerings out there for the money.

Sandi Bowman
Old November 9, 2008, 06:21 PM
Pete Egeler

Jason said: "This is not a reply to Sandi or Garrett. It's obvious they have their opinions already."

So Sandi replies: "Thanks for dismissing my comments so handily. Yes, I have made up my mind about AWAI. Read the following and you'll know why."

After reading further into your post, Sandi.. I fail to understand why you even bothered to make the original one! Just because YOU don't agree with others, doesn't mean the product is all bad.

"I have seen and read AWAI training materials etc and I was NOT impressed. As a copy writer with over 40 years experience, I can say that the content is minimal in quality and virtually nonexistent in depth and breadth. It's good only for neophytes to the world of copy writing."

Maybe, just maybe, it is meant for "neophytes to the world of copy writing".

While your interest may well lie in the "quality", others (Jason isn't alone in this,) look for the hidden gems that help them move forward.

I've purchased and read a lot of what you might consider "junk". But, there's always that one hidden gem which gives you an "ah ha!" moment that either fills a "gap", gives you new insight, or leads you toward development of a product of your own.

And, many times my "ah ha" moment has lead me to develop a product that has put some serious and welcomed income into my bank account.

Pete