SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 22, 2013, 05:12 PM
singer1993

Default Looking for feedback

OK, I’m taking a deep breath--this post is about ten years in the making. I used to read all the books and magazines I could get my hands on about working from home, and for years I read every post on the Friends in Business site and here at SOWPub. I finally feel like I have something that I’m completely passionate about and that I can work with—a viable project that's a hobby now, with great potential. But I’m at a fork in the road, and would like to ask for feedback from this esteemed forum on the next step.

The explanation of what this is and how it came about is more than I want to post here—so if you’re interested, go to cindydunn.com. There’s nothing else there but the backstory for this project, I wrote it specifically for SOWPubbers.

*Thanks* for reading…

Cindy Dunn
Old June 22, 2013, 07:18 PM

Default Archeologist Heinrich Schliemann Learned New Languages In a Week

Hi Cindy,

Schliemann was a madman when it came to learning new languages.

He'd buy a bunch of books in English AND Greek.

Or English-Spanish

English-Russian

Lock himself in a room for a week.

Come out half dead - but knowing how to read the language.

Then he'd go and pester native speakers
to get the spoken pronunciation down.

He out-worked and outTHUNK all the other Archeologists of his day
because he could READ the existing material BEFORE he started digging.

He may have discovered "Troy" this way.

I LIKE ONE Thing Heinrich Schliemann
DID that you don't provide on your site.

SIDE BY SIDE - pages in each language.

AND

The ability to choose ANY book you are interested in. Not limit
things to the articles on the site.

IF I ever have to learn a new language fast
I'd use Heinrich Schliemann's method.

So your idea is a good one.

But I don't know how you can Improve on Heinrich Schliemann's Strategy.

Glenn
Old June 23, 2013, 01:24 AM
Phil

Default A Hidden Gem, Viral in Google, [Introducing] Benny Lewis, Fluent in 3 months...

Hi Cindy,

Glad to hear that you have Read each and every post throughout SowPubs and Company! ...

Regarding feedback on your Passion and Ideas...

[Simply] figure out a Fresh New way...

{Twistable} concept/business model(s), joint ventures, interviews, webcasts, etc., etc...

Re-packaging, Multiple format(s), info-products, podcasts, video's and much, much more with Expertise in Specialized international language marketplaces...

Untapped [opportunities and possibilities] with some Good ol' Creativity!

Quick example, from awhile back. Just a starting point for Endless ideas on the Never-ending Growing...

Why Your Business Must Embrace the Foreign Language Internet...
http://mashable.com/2010/11/15/busin...-language-web/

I'll save you a little Time with Googling another ''Awesome'' related Success story! ... Very

Well worth Digging deep into and Communicating with...

Benny Lewis Fluent in 3 months...
https://www.google.com/search?q=Benn...ient=firefox-a
http://www.fluentin3months.com/tedx/
http://speakfromday1.com/

All the best,
Phil

Last edited by Phil : June 23, 2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: additional info...
Old June 23, 2013, 09:02 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Looking for feedback

Hi Cindy,

I will write a more detailed reply later... First I will just say, it is a great idea and you should definitely pursue it further!

I'm short on time just at this moment, but will write more soon, once I get a few pressing things out of the way...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old June 25, 2013, 07:04 AM
singer1993

Glenn--you make a good point about being able to read with the target language and English side-by-side. The web developer who created the site for me was keeping in mind that users might be reading on smaller (mobile, tablet) screens, which would make for skinny columns. Thanks for the feedback--I had never heard of Heinrich!

Phil--thanks for your comments as well...I've been tracking Benny for a while, an inspirational guy...I do come from a different perspective, though. In our culture, we want everything fast. We want to learn to play the piano in 10 days, look like the Bowflex guy in just three 10-minute sessions a week, lose 10 pounds in five days...IMHO, learning a language isn't something you do and then you're done, you're fluent. I've learned vocabulary and nuances in my own language all my life, and the pleasure of studying other languages is its own pursuit (for those of us who love it). I appreciate your feedback! Cindy
Old June 25, 2013, 03:54 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default A few ideas and comments...

Hi Cindy,

I was very impressed by your back story! I am always in awe of "polyglots" (people who speak multiple languages). I wish I was one! (But I’m not...)

Anyway, I’m definitely a potential customer of your business... (Yes, I even bought Benny Lewis’s book in the past. I've read it - just haven't really put it into practice, yet...!)

The first question I would ask is, is there a market for this? I think that there probably is...

Another question is, what is your "toll position" with this business? That is, what is it you have which makes it harder for a competitor to copy you?

One "natural" toll position you would have would be the copyright on your articles. I would recommend proceeding in a way where your articles are copyrighted by you, and that it is made obvious that you own the copyright on all the articles (in the multiple languages). If you are paying people to translate articles, that also means that the fact you will own the final copyright, even of the translations, would have to spelled out in the "work for hire" contract you hire your translators under.

Another "toll position" you could have would be a customer and/or prospect list. That is, I would encourage you to start an "opt-in" email list, of people who are interested in what you are doing. You could send them updates regarding new articles, new features on the website, etc. This also gives you a "pool" of interested people you can promote to. It’s another valuable "toll position" because nobody will be able to access that list of people except for you. (Make sure you comply with the "CAN/SPAM" law - you can Google it.)

You can also build lists of prospects on Facebook or Twitter, however, I would still not neglect an email list. The reason why is that an email list is 100% fully in your control, whereas lists of people on Facebook or Twitter are not... For example, I've read that Facebook charges you extra to be able to reach a greater percentage of your "fans" on Facebook! In this case, Facebook is the one in control - not you. Having said that, they can also be potentially valuable marketing tools, too, though I would always aim at eventually getting people on your email list, if possible.

At the moment, you ask for donations. I think you will probably need other ways of making a profit from your efforts. One way is to make it a membership website, where people pay some sort of fee to access the articles (possibly a recurring fee). You could make some articles available for free as a "sample," but then they would have to be paying members to access the rest of the articles. Membership websites are a proven model which work.

Another potential model is to try make it free but advertising-supported. Personally, I would probably go with the membership website model.

You might want to think about strategic partnerships (either for now, or for later on). That is, there are other businesses who also serve language-learners, who you could work with in a "win/win" way. For example, it’s possible that a company that provides language teaching products could promote you, and you also promote them. Another idea is to promote the offerings of others on a commission basis, or you could sell advertising on your website directly to these companies. There are a lot of other language-based businesses who do not directly compete with you, who you could work with in a mutually beneficial way.

I like Glenn’s idea of being able to optionally view the two articles side-by-side. I "simulated" this myself with your website by opening an article in French in one browser window (I studied French in school), and the same article in English in another window, and placing the articles side-by-side on my computer desktop. I think I did find it more beneficial reading the article this way, because if I stumbled on a word in French, I could easily move my eyes over to the English version, and learn something instantaneously...

Another idea could be to provide "grades" of difficulty in reading, so people can read articles close to their level. (I know you have "floors" but it is unclear to me if these are just graded in terms of length, or also in terms of the difficulty of the vocabulary.)

Anyway, those are some ideas.

What you need is to have a clear vision in your head of what you want it all to look like in the end. I think having this clear vision is very important! Then, work towards that vision!

Regarding marketing - who already has the people that you potentially want as customers? Is there a way you can reach those people - probably with the cooperation of other businesses in a "win/win" way? One approach is to have an affiliate program which others can use to promote your business (in return for a commission when you get a paying customer through them) - you then have to directly market your affiliate program to the right people and businesses. If you have the right people promoting your business as affiliates, it can be a very powerful marketing tool for you (and it's "win/win" for everyone). Advertising is, of course, another option. If you advertise, you need to find out your "cost per conversion" - so you can work out if the advertising is making you money, or losing you money.

I hope that helps...

Please keep me informed on what happens. If you do start an email list, as a potential customer, I'd love to be on it!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : June 25, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old June 25, 2013, 10:30 PM
sandalwood

Dien,

I think you just published a How To manuscript. Excellent material. Hope the OP makes good use of it.

Tom
Old June 26, 2013, 06:35 AM

Thanks Cindy for posting your story and asking for advice on sowpub.

One question: how stuck are you on your idea?

From an outsiders point of view, I can clearly see the problem you are facing. You are trying to run before you can crawl. Trying to do too much.

The lesson from your analogy of floors for learning a language - is applicable to running a business too. First go for the first floor. Then the second floor. Then the third.

My recommendation is this:

1. Narrow your focus. Select only 2 languages. English and one more. Other languages can come later on.

2. Find an already existing marketplace. I am sure there are forums where people who want to learn a new language hang out. I am sure there are websites where you can signup as a tutor and earn an hourly fee for teaching a new language to someone else over skype or something. Yes, earning an hourly wage is not advisable for the long term. But it is a good first floor. Start with 1 student before you aim for 100.

3. Create small tools that promote you. One idea is this: create an app that shares the most common 500 words and their translations. Then create another app for most common phrases a tourist may use. These apps would do very well for cellphone users. Why focus on cellphone users before computer users? Because cellphones already provide you with a platform - a marketplace. For eg: look at this simple app - downloaded over a 100,000 times:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...enfr.c &hl=en

Build an email list by giving away these apps. Maybe even come up with a $3 pro app - with audio.

Build your audience by leveraging marketplaces.

4. Then focus on the website and your big plan.

One positioning idea: be the opposite. Everyone comes up with "learn a language in 7 days" products. You will be noticed if you take the opposite approach: learn a language slowly. Setup domains like learnfrenchslowly.com and learnspanishslowly.com and so on.

Let people know that they can learn a new language without getting overwhelmed - and they can just read 1 or 2 paragraphs a day and learn from it.

(Getrichslowly.org grew very very quickly in the market hyped with get rich quick schemes. Model after them.)

Once you are profitable, you can start a new language and do the same with it. Start with forums. Create apps. And then build your library.
Old June 26, 2013, 11:03 AM
LindaC

Hi Cindy,
Lindac here.

I must say you have been given some great
advice.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone here
who would disagree with the advice and suggestions
you have received.

Perhaps, you could market your services to college
students also.

I know I would have liked to learn another language
during my college days.

My Best 2 U,
LindaC
Old June 26, 2013, 01:26 PM
Cornell

Default Maybe try this

Exposure to potential users is what you are after.

I would suggest writing an article leaning towards the 'boomers' and learning some basic language skills in preparation for their anticipated travel to foreign countries....given that this age group travel in their golden years, they also have time for this prior to their excursions.

http://www.aarp.org

http://www.carp.ca