SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Default Some good ideas. Here are MY favorites.

My objective with this brainstorming post was/is to see what you guys and dolls come up with (hey ladies, don't be hatin an old man for calling you dolls...think Frank Sinatra in GUYS AND DOLLS)...

and the idea of going into an unknown place armed with very little...

to produce a 500 dollar a day income...which could probably be scaled up for those of you NOT traveling...

Anyhow, some interesting ideas.

My personal favs are:

#1 Teaching the teachers. This requires some advance prep, with a web site, and using mostly craigslist and/or forums like this one where you would find people interested in starting a business and/or with a high passion index for what you have to offer.

I'd look for ONE person in the destination who would be interested in teaching other people how to __________________

What you have to teach along with any marketing materials could be done in 4 hours or less, then use afternoon to help him/her get started.

Examples, using SowPubbers who post.

Find ONE person in Akron, OH who can teach 6-8 other people how to start and operate a BALLOON service. You charge 550 bux. He in turns runs free ads on craigslist offering to teach people HOW to start their own balloon routes. In that area, you would have assigned territories.

IN addition, I may provide a service of wholesaling the balloons to him and his group so, he has passive income from the people he trains...say, at 125 each...maybe, possibly all at the same time to recoup his investment with me.

OR, maybe it would be teaching people how to start a fantasy photo business, again, he would then teach 6-8 people in the area (plenty big) how to do it and provide back-end services for them.

The object is to TEACH someone TO TEACH others...you could have a backend product that is automated, or set up where as you don't have to be involved. Say balloons. The guy orders through your affiliate link, so if they reorder...and you have a dozen of these MASTER teachers, each with 5 people...that's 60 people reordering balloons through your service provider....

You could teach someone how to set up others with a HEADLIGHT cleaning business, or a detail business, or a non franchise glass repair biz.

OR, a work from home RESUME writing business.
OR, a golf instruction business. In Akron, OH, there are already scores of golf pros, but you find ONE to teach a unique system, and he teaches 6-10...sets up a possible licensing situation, one which could have a 100 teachers of the J-Swing.

OR, a Pizza Card business. With so many pizza shops, one guy couldn't possibly cover a populated area, but he could TEACH other people how to do it. What I like with this model is you are working with ONE person, you get your 500 bux for the day, he gets an opportunity to help other people make money and everyone wins.

Another example then I'll move on. You could be a distributor, tak
http://kaeser-blair.com/

An established company for advertising specialties with a dealer program.

And this example extends to anything you might be successfully doing.

YOU could train one person to get other dealers, and this isn't the traditional MLM or Network marketing, there are overrides and commissions for getting others into the business.

These type of programs, with some overrides or small commissions for finding people could provide income for decades.

OK. So my top favorite is TEACHING THE TEACHERS.

#2 Along with this, sort of...just do one day workshops. On what you know. Lots of ways to do it, but I'd look for ONE sponsor, maybe a couple of months ahead of time on craigslist.

HE would host the seminar, wherever and he would bear his own expense for advertising, which I'd suggest be free and guerrilla...and try to find 6 people to attend this one day workshop.

Example: Say I'm traveling through Chicago and I'm doing a ONE day workshop on HOW TO MAKE 500 DOLLARS A DAY BY CHATTELING. The workshop would cost 149 dollars to 299 dollars...and my host in Chi Town would get 50% of the workshop fee. 10 would be a good goal.

10 X 149 would be 1490 bux...which allows for 490 out of pocket expenses if needed...and we would both net 500 bux. I make mine, he makes his and the attendees learn something that puts bucks in their pocket whenever they choose to do it.

I'd start at 8 in the morning with a LIVE demo actually making 500 by noon...then spend the afternoon going over all the strategies and techniques.

See?

Same can be done for almost anything YOU know and do. Like how to set up QR codes for business...that whole mobile biz market...

Or, how to sell advertising OR how to create information products OR how to submit your invention to a marketing company...

OR how to get into the lucrative copywriting field...

Anything YOU know and DO can be turned into a one day workshop.

Those are my top 2, but I'll post some more later today.

Feedback on these ideas would be appreciated in the meantime.

Thanks,

Gordon Jay Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
You fell from an airplane into a town of 25,000 people or more.

You need to make 500 bux in cash. Today. Starting at 8 ending by 5.

No support programs. No call backs. No follow up. You'll be dropped out of a plane tomorrow into another town/city.

You'll cover the USA for any city with at least 25k.

So, what do YOU do, to get the 500 cash in your pocket ASAP every day?

Any idea accepted. But once you leave town the next day, you will never see nor hear from anyone again. OK?

Thinking caps ON? Go!!!

Gordon
Old April 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
Adman

Default Re: Sowpub Brainstorming session...500 bux a day....HOW...IF...

Gordon....I'm sorry....your initial "instructions" were;
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
No support programs. No call backs. No follow up. You'll be dropped out of a plane tomorrow into another town/city.
Any idea accepted. But once you leave town the next day, you will never see nor hear from anyone again. OK?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

NONE of the "examples" you mentioned have anything to do with, "Dropping from an Airplane"...into an area where you are NOT known....and "picking up $500!"

So....I could....give you OVER 50 EXAMPLES of how I have started a program that took me a few days to "Set Up"...and THEN...gone out and made a minimum of $500!

However....getting back to your 1st requirement of "Dropping into an area from an airplane and....start making $500 a Day!"....I will give you a "Real Life Example" of how..."I dropped from an airplane and found a way to make a MINIMUM of $500 A DAY"

The year was Sept of 1978....I had just sold my "Burglar Alarm Co" (Securitronics Corp in Northbrook, IL) and decided to go to Aspen, CO and see a friend.

Well....as I've done NUMEROUS TIMES in my "career of being INdependent and FREE of even "Thinking about getting a....hold on while I hold my breath and say the word, "J.O.B." (Ouch! It even hurts to TYPE that word)....I discovered early in my life that (Mark this down...it's a Secret Technique I use to discover WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE TOWN)....

....I just "dropped in from an airplane" (in this case...I had landed in the Aspen Airport and got settled into my friend's home) the next morning I went downtown and asked around, where's was the MOST POPULAR BAR IN TOWN!

Well....I found it was the bar at "The Hickory House"...SO....At 3 in the afternoon....I sauntered into The Hickory House and....sure enough....the place was packed. I found one barstool open and sat down and ordered a Mick.

About 30 minutes later....3 guys sat down at a table behind me (within earshot) I picked up that 2 of the guys were the "Money" behind their setting up a New Radio Station. The 3rd guy was their General Manager.

Their topic of discussion was, "WHAT are we going to do about "PROMOTION FOR THE STATION"!

They then went into a whole list of possibilities and....as I listened....I remembered a Radio Station I had used in Northbrook, IL. Every Spring and Fall they had a Promo Program that involved consumers placing Bumper Stickers on their rear bumper (The Bumper Stickers had the call letters of the Station) The idea was for consumers to go to the sponsoring businesses and pick up a Bumper Sticker and a Coupon.

Then...during the week....someone at the radio station would drive around town....marking down license plates of vehicles that had the Station's Bumper STicker....then....at 10am on Saturday morns "Oldies But Goodies" Show...the DJ would read off 10 License Plate Numbers and....the 1st person who arrived at the Station would get to redeem ALL the coupons they had collected during the week, from the participating merchants and....redeem them for purchases.

Well....these were the days of NO "Internet"...NO Graphics Software...NO Inkjet Printers....just a "TypeSetting Machine" at a local printshop.

So....that afternoon I made up some sample pieces including the Bumper Sticker and Coupons (which I named, "BROWSER BUCKS")...and, the next morning I went to the Radio Station and showed the GM my "Bumper Bucks Promo Program" and....he LOVED IT (It was FREE to the station) and gave me the OK (most of my Sales Career I used "HandShakes" to "Seal The Deal")

I then proceed to visit local merchants and sell them on participating in the 13 week program for $495ea. In a few days I got 20 merchants to join AND pay $495 ($495 x 20 = $9,900)

My costs were about $1,000 so....from a simple idea...I made about $9,000.

So....thanks for allowing me to remember an ACTUAL...."DROP FROM A PLANE" program I did.

Don Alm....STILL "Dropping From Planes"
Old April 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default Away from the BS, and how it CAN be done.

A way to do it is: (without all the BS of having to create and or sell advertising and deal with follow up)

Three items I've sold and there are many which would work.

First up. Defender of Women. A popular product sold by KRISTEE products of Akron, OH. They had a small counter display which held 10 Defenders (a pepper spray, self-defense product).

Back in the day it was called rack jobbing, today, with the Internet, you wouldn't have to revisit the store, they could order on-line.

I sold a store 25 at a time for 2.50 ea. They sold for 5. My cost was about .25 each.

To make the target 500, I would of had to sell 10 locations. What I did DO on occassion, especially after a crime spree...near college campuses...which were my bread and butter.

Today, anyone could locate scores of products WHOLESALE, and you walk into stores and offer them a counter display of X, being small foot print, POP type of product.

Examples from the REAL world. Rubber bands (call them bracelets if you want)...Live Strong and Magic Johnson...saw both on counters in the last couple of days. Each display held about 50.

They were selling POP for 4 bux, with the idea a % went to these charities (from YOUR wholesale costs, not the stores, they kept the 2 buck profit).

Saw MOOD rings on counter of store, for 4.99. There were many missing from the display, which held 36, and it was about half empty. You could source mood rings for 20 cents each.

Another product I DID sell was called Victory Miracle Polishing Cloth. Again, a small footprint counter display held a couple of dozen rags...and they had a wholesale product.

So, what ANYONE could do TODAY, without having to go to a noisy, busy bar and try to find an empty stool and hopefully HEAR what people were talking about at a table in this CROWDED place...

Without having to create bumperstickers, sell advertising, do mock-ups, get printing done, deliver products...without ANY of that nonsense.

IS...

To simply find PRODUCTS at a wholesale price...walk into mom and pop stores (and even chains have manager discretions, especially in smaller towns...the smaller the store in a chain, the more the manager can do...and they DO look for new items).

So, if you fell out of a plane, and had a backpack full of products to sell...

You simply do it the old fashioned way...Sell Baby Sell.

So, if you only make 300 or 200 for your time, are you going to get upset? The way to avoid getting upset, is to choose a product with a profit margin and have several products you could offer.

Examples. Every town has a Dry Cleaner. You could offer a Miracle Spot Remover for their counter...do a little googling, alibaba ing and you'll see many products in this category ready for you to buy and sell.

Every town has an automotive shop of some kind. You could offer a POP display for Headlight Cleaning Sauce.

Every town has a this, that and also _____

So, armed with a backpack full of REAL STUFF, actual merchandise, which can make the local store some more CASH, and if you are a salesman, but not a world class amazing one-of-a-kind with superman abilities...

IF you just walk in, show your stuff, ask them to buy...get a YES or a NO and head to the next shop, most of you wouldn't have any problem making the 500 bux a day without any of the Bull S**T

Want to KNOW what kind of products? Hey, how about you keep your eyes open when you go out and LOOK and see what is already being sold at checkout counters...then don't try to recreate the wheel.

It is BEING DONE, not theory, not a calculator dream of getting X at XX.
XX and you'll be making gazillions a week...

But just an HONEST way to make a buck, helping businesses make more money, by selling stuff to them and they sell the stuff to their customers.

Simple. And pretty dang easy too.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. I actually have a program on a flash drive that almost every business could be interested in...and it could be an easy sale...but, I'll reserve that one cause it hasn't been tested thoroughly yet...and besides, we've gotten some pretty good WORKABLE ideas along with the BS too.

Oh, the third product I rack-jobbed was a NEW car wax, went by the names of AstroShield and DynaGlaze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

Thinking caps ON? Go!!!

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : April 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old April 12, 2012, 12:04 AM
Adman

Edited due to BS.

Last edited by GordonJ : June 30, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old April 12, 2012, 02:16 AM
Phil

Default Brainstorming Re-Engineered! Dumpster Diving: From Garbage to Gold | GreenBiz.com

Since misc. ''Dumpster'' related Topics are Trying to Find their Way into the Feature, Benefits, possibilities & Ways of Trash into Cash! ...
, Especially the Low Hanging Fruit of Dumpster Diving (type) Key Word Phrases & Money making, Revenue generating Stories.... Such as...

Re-Engineering, older News into ''Fresh'' New Found ideas! [Spinnable] into 2012 and Beyond...
http://www.greenbiz.com/news/2009/01...g-garbage-gold

All the Best...

Phil

Last edited by Phil : April 12, 2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: additional info...
Old April 12, 2012, 04:44 PM
Adman

Default Re: Here's another NON-Advertising "BS-PRODUCT"

Edited due to big piles of BS and rules violations.

Last edited by GordonJ : June 30, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old April 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
Fishman

Default Re: Away from the BS, and how it CAN be done.

Gordon, thanks for taking the time to start this post.

I knew your answer would be "right on the money"! I believe I may have posted this before but I thought this would fit in with the discussion.

I would bet this man has and still does make the $500+ mark in a day. Anyway I thought everyone would like this story...http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/269764.../#.T4hWUlFSRtw

I wonder how well he would sell them if he had a video of himself made, post it on his own site with an order button and then left some kind of "display" showing an easy to remember web address in strategic/high traffic areas where people could watch on their "smart phones" tablets, computer at home etc.

Last edited by Fishman : April 13, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old April 13, 2012, 05:09 PM
gottodo

Fishman . Thanks for posting the link to that video I've never seen it before.

You know when your just looking for something but just don't/can't figure it out.

Well this has certainly got me up and off my butt.
Gordon great thread
Thanks
Old April 13, 2012, 05:10 PM
sandalwood

Helluva story. Great, no make that fantastic, post.

Tom
Old April 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default One of Gordon's "secrets" of selling, which I found really works...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
Gordon, thanks for taking the time to start this post.

I knew your answer would be "right on the money"! I believe I may have posted this before but I thought this would fit in with the discussion.

I would bet this man has and still does make the $500+ mark in a day. Anyway I thought everyone would like this story...http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/269764.../#.T4hWUlFSRtw
I agree with the others - thanks! That was an amazing true story!

As they said at the end of that segment, you can't help but want to watch and listen to him, because

"He's... so... enthusiastic... about those peelers!"

I think many here have read it, but if you haven't, be sure to read Gordon's "the white bread story"...

Enthusiasm is infectious!

I once took a job selling comedy tickets over the phone - and I often won the weekly sales competitions. Why?

It's because I took Gordon's advice - and I made sure I was enthusiastic about what I was selling. People could hear my enthusiasm in my voice and attitude. And I often outsold all the other sales people doing the same thing!

Genuine enthusiasm works! And it makes other people who see and hear you enthusiastic too!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : April 13, 2012 at 07:42 PM.