SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 10, 2017, 01:01 PM
Steve MacLellan

Default Neuro-Linguistic Programming study

Part 1
Bernays was also the PR genius who popularized bacon as a breakfast food. Nobody had thought of eating these fatty pork strips first thing in the morning until Bernays launched his bacon-for-breakfast blitz.

During the next few decades, Bernays and his growing number of PR colleagues developed the principles and methods by which masses of people could be brainwashed through messages repeated over and over in the media. And it wasn’t just products that could be sold in this way. It was also ideas and concepts, no matter how abhorrent.

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/view...waiting-be-led

Part 2
According to Stauber and Rampton, "We are the most conditioned, programmed beings the world has ever known. Not only are our thoughts and attitudes constantly being shaped and moulded, but our very awareness (of this process) is subtly erased... It is an exhausting and endless task to keep explaining to people how most issues of conventional wisdom are scientifically implanted in the public consciousness by a thousand media clips per day... If everybody believes something -- if it is part of the conventional wisdom -- it’s probably wrong."

Some current examples of such implanted conventional wisdom, as listed by Stauber and Rampton, may be discerned in the field of health care...

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/view...ate-propaganda

Regards,
Steve

Last edited by GordonJ : September 13, 2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old September 10, 2017, 01:36 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The power of propaganda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan View Post
Part 1
Bernays was also the PR genius who popularized bacon as a breakfast food. Nobody had thought of eating these fatty pork strips first thing in the morning until Bernays launched his bacon-for-breakfast blitz.

[...]

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/view...waiting-be-led

Part 2

[...]

Some current examples of such implanted conventional wisdom, as listed by Stauber and Rampton, may be discerned in the field of health care...

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/view...ate-propaganda
Thanks Steve... Great couple of articles!

I think everyone should learn about propaganda, its techniques, and how it works...

In fact, it is closely related to many other topics we talk about here, such as influence, NLP, persuasion, copywriting...

Many of the examples in the articles you mention use "social proof"... That is, "proof" that everyone else has a particular point of view, so you should too! Others use "authority" (such as the mention of using the American Medical Association to promote the idea that smoking is healthy for you).

I did read more about the techniques of propaganda in the past... I think it's about time to refresh my memory.

People think they are not influenced by propaganda... In fact, you are being blanketed with propaganda messages every day. Especially from politicians... But not only from them.

Thanks Steve - great post!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old September 10, 2017, 01:44 PM
Steve MacLellan

Default Re: The power of propaganda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
In fact, it is closely related to many other topics we talk about here, such as influence, NLP, persuasion, copywriting...

I recall Gordon speaking about it many years ago. However I couldn't remember if it was on this forum or Dave's "patch" :-)

Of course the discussions at the time were based around it's use in marketing, and not so much mass mind control. But, maybe it's time we branch out a bit

Regards,
Steve
Old September 10, 2017, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default Cambridge Analytical and etc.

Quote:
I recall Gordon speaking about it many years ago. However I couldn't remember if it was on this forum or Dave's "patch" :-)

Of course the discussions at the time were based around it's use in marketing, and not so much mass mind control. But, maybe it's time we branch out a bit

Regards,
Steve

Posted a link this article shortly after it was written. Trust me, I'm following this story as closely as I can and is one reason I've lost much of my interest in marketing...a lot bigger fish to fry.

https://scout.ai/story/the-rise-of-t...aganda-machine

GJA
Old September 10, 2017, 03:42 PM
Steve MacLellan

Default More dangerous than most people realize

The article says, "We have entered a new political age. At Scout, we believe that the future of constructive, civic dialogue and free and open elections depends on our ability to understand and anticipate it."

Interesting after Charlottesville and the president saying the 'alt-left' is as bad as the 'alt-right' we now have 'Antifa'.... which proves him right. Although the term has some history, it suddenly comes to light as a more organized force. Some supporters are promoting Martin Luther King Jr. as a martyr of the group, which I find outlandish.

However the point of this post isn't to engage in a political discussion as I know this is off limits on the forum. The point is, some of us wouldn't be surprised to learn that 'Antifa' rise, has been fueled and funded by a group of rich influencers to create more civil unrest and make the US government policies more palatable.

Yes, I could be wrong. If not, it's a great example of NLP and manipulation that is resulting in public brain-washing.

Regards,
Steve
Old September 10, 2017, 06:31 PM
sandalwood

Default Re: More dangerous than most people realize

Quote:
The article says, "We have entered a new political age. At Scout, we believe that the future of constructive, civic dialogue and free and open elections depends on our ability to understand and anticipate it."

Interesting after Charlottesville and the president saying the 'alt-left' is as bad as the 'alt-right' we now have 'Antifa'.... which proves him right. Although the term has some history, it suddenly comes to light as a more organized force. Some supporters are promoting Martin Luther King Jr. as a martyr of the group, which I find outlandish.

However the point of this post isn't to engage in a political discussion as I know this is off limits on the forum. The point is, some of us wouldn't be surprised to learn that 'Antifa' rise, has been fueled and funded by a group of rich influencers to create more civil unrest and make the US government policies more palatable.

Yes, I could be wrong. If not, it's a great example of NLP and manipulation that is resulting in public brain-washing.

Regards,
Steve

Steve,

You don't have to worry about politics interfering in your remarks. Here are some sites you want to visit to learn about the left and their idea of free speech:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.613d72c02a85

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ital-antifa-v/

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/25/161890...bray-interview

and if you want to read a decent review of this idiot's book read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.41960a6d8afc

Maybe our NLP and other propaganda techniques have come home to bite us in the ass. Just my thought for which, BTW, antifa would have no problem beating me to a pulp.

Can't wait for the next 5 years to see what happens.

All the best.
Old September 10, 2017, 07:20 PM
sandalwood

Default My remarks continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
Steve,

You don't have to worry about politics interfering in your remarks. Here are some sites you want to visit to learn about the left and their idea of free speech:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.613d72c02a85

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ital-antifa-v/

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/25/161890...bray-interview

and if you want to read a decent review of this idiot's book read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.41960a6d8afc

Maybe our NLP and other propaganda techniques have come home to bite us in the ass. Just my thought for which, BTW, antifa would have no problem beating me to a pulp.

Can't wait for the next 5 years to see what happens.

All the best.

Let me throw some more shade on this conversation. Here is a shortened version of a conversation I was in 53 years ago:

Him: Are you saved?
Me: What?
Him: Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your savior?
Me: Well, I'm Catholic and my church tells me I have.
Him: No. have you actually accepted Jesus Christ as your savior?
Me: Again, I believe I have.
Him: No you haven't. You are not saved. You haven't accepted Jesus Christ as your savior. You are going to hell.

Advance to today:

Him: Have you renounced fascists, the alt-right, Trump, Neo Nazis and racists?
Me: I think free speech allows them to say anything they want and then accept the consequences.
Him: So you haven't renounced those groups. You are a fascist/fascist supporter and deserve what you are about to receive.

Can you tell me how to use any technique to have a sane non threatening conversation with either of these people?

BTW, the Air Force was kind enough to train me in propaganda techniques. I say that only to inform the audience I am no stranger to the verbiage.

How about a Muslim who believes you are an infidel because you aren't a Muslim. He, like the other 2 people, is ready to defend his belief(s) with force. Are you ready to defend yourself with force?

IMHO that is all it boils down to. How committed is a person to their belief? If you aren't ready to stand your ground, you get rolled over or killed. No amount of NLP, propaganda or persuasion techniques will avoid the conflict. That, to me, is the world we live in.

Please don't take this added dialogue as me aiming it at you. It is for general discussion.

An added point:

This forum has the right to ban anyone it believes violates its rules. However, if antifa reads this forum and sees the moderators and/or owners have not discredited the above named people/organizations, it will be viewed as a supporter and subject to threats and violence.

How do they avoid the potential of being labeled an alt-right organ promoting fascism? Remember, capitalism is very real on this board. In fact it is promoted regularly.

Antifa hates capitalism. We may not want to think about that in this cozy discussion universe but it is very real in today's universe.

The mind is a wonderful tool, isn't it?

No more continued remarks.
Old September 10, 2017, 08:06 PM
Steve MacLellan

Default Violence to counter violence creates more violence

I think most of us would defend ourselves with force if we had to. Personally speaking, I've had a little training, and have survived through a few dust-ups. However, violence to counter violence creates more violence, and is not a solution. And if some of us are right, the backers behind Antifa want civil unrest. There have been marches in major cities here in Canada with clashes between both sides... but no, I don't go. As always, I decide a course for myself.

A couple of years ago a friend and I were having a conversation when I mentioned how racism and discrimination were increasing. He claimed it wasn't true, and asked for specific examples, to which I was at wits end to come up with a defense of my position. Yes, I should have some examples at hand...

I started a Google+ collection where I share articles and discussion that I've found on media sites on the topic of racism and discrimination. You can see it here: https://plus.google.com/collection/ckeMbB

It's my hope that the collection will help some people re-evaluate their stance on these issues. I know, it isn't much and can't be compared to punching a fascist in the nose, but it doesn't write anyone off either.

Regards,
Steve
Old September 10, 2017, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Default Holy ****, we need to delete this whole thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
Let me throw some more shade on this conversation. Here is a shortened version of a conversation I was in 53 years ago:

Him: Are you saved?
Me: What?
Him: Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your savior?
Me: Well, I'm Catholic and my church tells me I have.
Him: No. have you actually accepted Jesus Christ as your savior?
Me: Again, I believe I have.
Him: No you haven't. You are not saved. You haven't accepted Jesus Christ as your savior. You are going to hell.

Advance to today:

Him: Have you renounced fascists, the alt-right, Trump, Neo Nazis and racists?
Me: I think free speech allows them to say anything they want and then accept the consequences.
Him: So you haven't renounced those groups. You are a fascist/fascist supporter and deserve what you are about to receive.

Can you tell me how to use any technique to have a sane non threatening conversation with either of these people?

BTW, the Air Force was kind enough to train me in propaganda techniques. I say that only to inform the audience I am no stranger to the verbiage.

How about a Muslim who believes you are an infidel because you aren't a Muslim. He, like the other 2 people, is ready to defend his belief(s) with force. Are you ready to defend yourself with force?

IMHO that is all it boils down to. How committed is a person to their belief? If you aren't ready to stand your ground, you get rolled over or killed. No amount of NLP, propaganda or persuasion techniques will avoid the conflict. That, to me, is the world we live in.

Please don't take this added dialogue as me aiming it at you. It is for general discussion.

An added point:

This forum has the right to ban anyone it believes violates its rules. However, if antifa reads this forum and sees the moderators and/or owners have not discredited the above named people/organizations, it will be viewed as a supporter and subject to threats and violence.

How do they avoid the potential of being labeled an alt-right organ promoting fascism? Remember, capitalism is very real on this board. In fact it is promoted regularly.

Antifa hates capitalism. We may not want to think about that in this cozy discussion universe but it is very real in today's universe.

The mind is a wonderful tool, isn't it?

No more continued remarks.

Speaking of propaganda. YIKES!!
Old September 11, 2017, 11:16 AM
sandalwood

Default Re: Holy ****, we need to delete this whole thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Speaking of propaganda. YIKES!!

Evidently the point was well made.
Closed Thread