SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 29, 2006, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Default Devil in the details; HOLIDAY's are fast approaching, and Sunday morning rant?

Me rant? HA! You know I don't do that.

A little blurb about DETAILS. It is an issue with me. Those of you that were smart enough to get the Beginner's New GUIDE to Chatteling found that I have a lot to say on the subject in the "bonus" section about gurus and such.

For over a decade (on line) I've told people to complete the TRANSACTION on paper to see what any biz op would really look like.

OK, so here are a couple of examples.

Selling ADVERTISING, say, to restaurants who want to be on a Hotel guide of some sort.

Well, you do have to call upon hotels, have something to show them, get something signed, get referrals, go call upon referrals and collect the checks.

End of STORY? Hardly. NOW, you've got to go home and create or have created the actual ads.

Experienced in Photoshop or maybe even Publisher? or other graphic software, NO problem. Piece of cake. You a NEWBIE?

HOW are you going to create the ads? HOW did you create the sample ads? Is your biz-op dependent on the work of others?

In this EXAMPLE, a printer perhaps? Do you have a working relationship with the printer? Can you count on quality? Delivery on time?

OK, you've overcome this, then you have to have the things delivered.

MY POINT is this:

Every single idea I've read about here, there and everywhere seems to gloss over the details of what you actually have to do; to make money with the "biz op".

Advertising specialties. Advertising. Photos. Name it.

OF course there isn't room on anyone's forum to go into minute details of a business, but then, YOU have a blank sheet of paper in your printer; grab one, draw two circles, ONE is you the other is the person who is going to be GIVING YOU THEIR MONEY for whatever it is you do.

Then how many steps are involved in the TRANSACTION.

Absentee businesses like garage ceiling storage businesses; sounds simple...HIRE other people to do the sales, do the work, and have a trusted manager to run the show. ONCE all the details have been worked out, then it may truly be an auto pilot business.

Have you hired anyone lately? Signed any sales agreements? A lot of DETAILS went into that business BEFORE it was absentee.

Photo biz? Pets or other. You DO need a camera. Some props. A place or transportation to their place. Marketing. And a whole lot of DETAILS in between.

Deck cleaning? Need a power washer. Need to KNOW how to use it. A whole bunch of details including some good liability insurance.

YOU surely get the point. There are DETAILS to consider behind any business or money making venture, why even selling your TV on the front porch has details to it:

1) Carry TV to porch.
2) Put a FOR SALE sign on it (cardboard box and black marker)
3) Put a price on it.
4) BE there when someone knocks on your door and wants to buy it.
5) Plug it in and show that it works.
6) Haggle over price or tell them to take a hike
7) Come to an agreement
8) TAKE THE CASH
9) Help load it into car to make sure they don't drop it and break it.
10) Say THANKS and wave good buy.
8a) Give them a receipt with "AS IS" written on it and have them sign it; if you want, a detail some/most people might skip.

So even the simplest, easiest way on earth for a TRANSACTION to take place which results in PROFITS has some details to it.

And a WARNING once again to Don, Jim, Mark and Jason. THINK before you escalate, cause I'm at the delete key. Keep it civil, and your posts will remain as you post them.

THE HOLIDAYS. I just ordered my PUMPKIN roll from a lady who makes hundreds of dollars every year baking nothing but Pumpkin bread rolls with cream cheese filling, and it is to die for.

I just rec'd email from a person who's teen age daughter is taking orders for FRESH BAKED cookies for the holidays. She and her mother are good at this, and she calls upon business LEAVING a FLYER for them.

Those letters from SANTA. A lot of kids are going to be getting them.

Christmas TREE lots will spring up magically overnight after T-day.

ENTIRE industries will make their profits in the next 8 weeks (or fall short), Hickory Farms comes to mind.

So it isn't too late to come up with a PROFIT maker for the Holidays, just try to THINK through the details on paper before you get too dang excited.

BATTERIES. I know a guy who sells batteries Christmas eve day DOOR TO DOOR. He buys them "somewhere" (I don't know) but he shows up during the day and he says he puts in 12-16 hours, he and his kids, knocking on doors and selling batteries. I think he does pretty good. He shows up every year. I don't think it is a hobby.

So if YOU have any good holiday ideas, let us all know what they are, and we'll attempt to figure out the details to see if it suits us or not.

OK?

There will be some post election NEWS, traditionally this is the time of year many people will lose their jobs. The holidays are as much stressful for millions as they are joyous.

Here in Cuyahoga Falls, we're waiting for the next weather change. During the Ohio State football game, we had: snow, rain, thunderstorms, sunny skies, WIND (the worst of the weather); hail and frogs.

Well, it really didn't rain frogs, but I wouldn't have been surprised.

This morning it is beautiful blue skies (that will change) and artic chill.

Someone with a high of 78 today, tell me where you're at, please.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old October 29, 2006, 10:15 AM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Devil in the details; HOLIDAY's are fast approaching, and Sunday morning rant?

Excellent post, Gordon!

Would like to add that folks remember to cover themselves legally, such as local vendor licenses, before they head out to grab some sales. Every year I hear about folks who forgot this 'minor' detail and ended up with sizeable fines as a result. Which would you rather pay: $25.00 for a license or $250.00 fine? Not much profit in the latter.

This area is horrid to deal with because it's just a string of small to miniscule 'towns' along the coast and each one has its own reguations, fees, ect. It effectively thwarts the little guys and the one-shots to protect local businesses. There's also a county regulation that prohibits setting up 'shop', even temporarily, in your front yard. You even have to register ahead of time with the local police before you can have a garage sale. It's also illegal to post garage sale signs except at your location but lots of folks ignore that one. What ever happened to free enterprise???

Sandi Bowman
Old October 29, 2006, 10:26 AM
FirstBorn

Default Re: Devil in the details; HOLIDAY's are fast approaching, and Sunday morning rant?

Hi Gordon,

Quote:
Someone with a high of 78 today, tell me where you're at, please.
That's MY Area...
about 1 hour North West of Tampa on the Coast Gulf of Mexico...
Today, High of 78, tomorrow, High in the Mid 80s...

When should I expect Your arrival? ... haha

Christopher

PS. As always, Great Rant, uh, Post...
Old October 30, 2006, 05:38 AM
Phil

Gordon...

Not that you Need any Holiday business ideas...

But for those that Do...

Start Planning some After the Holiday consumers in Debt type businesses.

As Usual... They'll be a Ton of people Clearing out their inventory of all Kinds of Gifts...

And other Misc. stuff to Help Payoff some of those Holiday shopping for family and friends Spending Addictions!

Pay close Attention to Buying and Selling Gift Cards and Certificates...

Just Make sure you research and read up on it well, Especially the Fine print...

As I've mentioned in previous posts, it's a Great Niche market But you'll Notice a few specialty web sites are going down and out of business...

With Billions of $$$$Dollars being Spent in the Gift Cards industry by businesses and consumers...

There are Many ways to Startup your own "Gift Card Hotsheet concept".

http://losangeles.about.com/od/cityinfo/qt/giftcard.htm
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...eid=mktw&rss=1

Then of course, there's Retailers Holiday Sales and Bargains... Before and After Boxing Day/Week... ClearOuts of stuff etc. etc.!!!

Which Must be resold to Help more People get Rid of some their Money and Support your Cash making Biz!

On the Topic of "Hotsheets"...

Think about Holiday Hotsheets...

SowPub member Diana Ratliff who has Tied Hotsheets into the Overall packaging of her new product...

Yes... We're Keeping a Close Eye on Things.

http://www.InsidersGuidetoShoppingOnline.com
Bonus 3: Holiday Hotsheets
Laser-Focused Shopping Guides
to Toys/Games, Electronics, and Last-Minute Shopping

Hopefully, some pickup a few ideas from this...

Sounds like a little bit of Chatteling...

Back to you Mr. Chattel...

Phil
Old October 30, 2006, 10:14 AM
DBeavers

Gordon J, you stated:

"Every single idea I've read about here, there and everywhere seems to gloss over the details of what you actually have to do; to make money with the "biz op".

Advertising specialties...."

Of course I gloss over it on this and other forums - The hosts are paying for the server space they let me have at no charge. I'm just being a considerate guest.

I link to my website, where I provide a lot of details. Then, I have a link with a form to complete, if the curious are interested in receiving a free, no obligation 3 1/2 pound package with the heavy details, the K & B 228-page "Best Buys" catalog with over 1500 different products, ALL at discount prices, and lots of resources - online and off.

It would cost me a lot less to put all those details in an eBook to give away or sell on eBay, but I gladly bear the expenditure of my time and capital as I believe anyone serious about the opportunity will get far more from my hands-on 3 1/2 lb. package of materials, including 5 or 6 sample products.

Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to show I don't gloss over the opportunity or the fact that it requires personal effort (work) on the part of anyone looking for a home-based business.

Dennis

Last edited by DBeavers : October 30, 2006 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Clarify who's post I was responding to, as my responsed dropped below where I intended it.
Old October 30, 2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default I stand corrected Dennis, I know better than to use absolutes...

My apologies. To you and others who do NOT gloss over the details.

There are many opportunities where the DETAILS are laid out and explained.

My BAD. Perhaps I need to slow down and THINK before I POST...take some of my own advice.

Duly noted.

Gordon
Old October 30, 2006, 10:41 PM
DBeavers

No apology necessary Gordon. I knew you were generalizing. Others here have also provided sufficient details on various bizopps.

I know you were referring to all those "teaser" type ads, designed to suck in people by their vagueness.

Dennis Bevers