SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 11, 2007, 04:34 AM
SteveSki

Default What Should You Do When A Blogger Steals Your Articles?

What can you do when a Blogger takes your article, strips your name and links from it and then replaces your name with his?

Last night I wrote and posted a new article on EZineArticles.com Less than 6 hours later I discover it stolen and posted at: http://digital-camera-comparison-kfd...com/index.html

This happens about one out of every 5 uses of all my articles.

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski
http://www.PetStarUSA.com
Old April 11, 2007, 04:46 AM

Default Re: What Should You Do When A Blogger Steals Your Articles?

That blog is hosted with blogger.com

1. Contact the blogger and ask him to add your links back to the post. Or to remove the article from his blog. If he does neither, then go to step 2.

2. Contact blogger.com and give them proof. His blog will be deleted.
Old April 11, 2007, 05:31 AM
SteveSki

Default Thanks Ankesh - I like your advice... however...

Hi Ankesh, I appreciate you replying. However I can't find any contact details for him so I can't do step #1 although I did post a comment. I prefer not to go to step #2 but it looks like I have no other choice. So in case anyone else here has a similar problem I am posting the letter here that I am sending to Googles legal department.....................

To:

Google, Inc.
Attn: Google Legal Support, Blogger DMCA Complaints
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, Ca 94043

Notice of copyright infringement:

The copyrighted work at issue is the text dated April 10th 2007 that appears on
http://digital-camera-comparison-kfd...-and-pets.html

I have a good faith belief that use of my copyrighted material described above on the allegedly infringing web pages was not authorized by myself who is the copyright owner and the blogger took the work from http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Steve_Shulenski and violated the terms and conditions of its use.

I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner.

Regards,

Steve Shulenski
www.MoneyMakingPhotography.com

PS - I'll post the above letter as a comment on his blog to give him a chance before I fax the letter to google.

Last edited by SteveSki : April 11, 2007 at 06:23 AM.
Old April 11, 2007, 06:06 PM
Don Alm

Steve....I'm wondering if you could make some of the words in YOUR Articles "LIVE"....which Link Back to YOUR site. That way, when someone uses one of YOUR articles, the links will come back to YOUR site anyway.

Or...maybe there's a JavaScript you could insert...or a software program that would do something that would prevent your articles being stolen.

Maybe a programmer could create an "Article Protector".

On ALL the pages of my Manuals....I place a sentence, diagonally, in faded type that can STILL be seen, which says;
"Copyright 2007 by Advantage Marketing, Roseburg, Oregon 541-673-2224"

This has cut down tremendously on my "returns".

Some people "used to" buy my Manuals and send them back for refund. BUT, they'd send me the "Copied" Manual...by mistake....keeping the original for themselves. This "practice" has been stopped completely by placing my "Copyright" notice on each page....and my "Refund Requests" have gone to zero.

Ohhh....and after reading your subject article...it reminded me of a guy I saw in Honolulu and another one in Aspen....who'd set up his PhotoStand where hundreds of tourists would be walking by.

The first one had a BIG sign which said;
"Have Your Photo Taken With A Celebrity"
He had full size cutouts of Celebrities. Folks would choose which celebrity they wanted their photo with. He charged $5 per photo...with his polaroid. And there was ALWAYS a long line.

Both, the guy in Hawaii and in Aspen told me their 2 most popular celebs were....John Wayne and Pres Reagan (at THAT time)

Then, because River Rafting was so popular in Aspen.... a photog would have his camera on a bridge, downstream, over the river....taking photos of the rafters as they came down. A BIG sign said something like; "YOUR PHOTO HAS BEEN TAKEN BY RIVER RAFT PHOTOS...ON THE MALL!"

Don Alm

Last edited by GordonJ : April 12, 2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old April 12, 2007, 02:45 AM
Phil

Sorry...

But thought I'd Help get Things back on Topic.

Tracking down Blog Content thieves can be more Difficult than regular web site stuff...

But for Those experiencing Problems...

Here's some Good reads and Advice to Follow...
http://www.weboma.com/how-to-close-t...bsite-content/
http://websitemonitoring.wordpress.c...iarism-issues/

Phil
Old April 12, 2007, 08:13 AM
SteveSki

Default Hey Don that reminds me of one of the best days of my life...

As a photographer I’m usually the one shooting the photos and I haven’t had a lot of photos taken of myself up to now. But one of my favourite ones was taken while rafting in the Pocono mountains
back in the spring of 88.

I had just taken a job selling Time Shares at Split Rock Resort and on my first day there I turned a hat trick by selling each of my 3 ups that day for full price. I didn’t know that I was only supposed to warm them up and turn them over to a closer. When I took them back to the Awards Center I told them the full price and told them to write me a $100 check for a good faith deposit and didn’t find out until the next day that that I was supposed to wait for a closer to drop the price by $2500.

Anyway they rewarded me that week with a white “Bear of The Week” T-shirt and a free rafting trip with other sales reps who had won one of the many sales contests that spring.

Well I had been rafting before and knew how cold the water was that time of year so when the bus dropped us at the rafting lodge I rented myself a wetsuit. I was the only bloke in the raft along with 11 gals.

I knew where the photographer would be waiting for us just after the first rapids so I positioned myself in the left center of the raft. The river is fed by the Bear Creek Dam and they had released the gates that day so the rapids were extra rough and everyone got soaking wet. Me in my blue wet suit surrounded by 11 young pretty girls in white, very wet “cold” T-shirts. That picture is one of my personal treasures!

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski
www.PetPhotoBiz.com

Last edited by GordonJ : April 12, 2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:03 AM
Don Alm

Default Ah, Yes....your story also reminds me of....

...when I was taking Aerial Photos for Realtors, in the mountains.

One of the Rafting Cos asked me for an "Aerial Shot" of some of their rafters, for a Promo they were doing.

They gave me an estimated time when their rafts would be coming down and they wanted a "certain shot" with a "certain section" of the river in the shot.

So...I went up in our old 152 Cessna (I could open the window and the wind would hold the window open. I had to release my seatbelt to lean out the window so I could get the camera beyond the wheels. (Sometimes Murray, my pilot, would have to grab my belt with one hand)

As we were coming around the bend to the "target" area....the motor started sputtering....then it quit....just as I was coming up for the shot I wanted.

I yelled at Murray to "Hold 'er steady!"...as I was thinking more of the "perfect shot"....than I was of crashing. Murray was a highly experienced pilot from his "days in Nam" so I had confidence he would handle the situation. And, sure enuf, I got THE shot I wanted and Murray was able to land in a hay field.

AND....I too....will NEVER FORGET THAT PHOTO!

Don Alm....ex-Aerial Photographer

Last edited by GordonJ : April 12, 2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:13 AM
bobmcalister

hi ...

I too was wondering about the 'copywrite-ability" of an article that is comprised of public information...want to do something along those same lines ...and needed more information ..

thanks