SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 16, 2022, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Default Moneyball. Ivy League analytics. Why it could kill your efforts.

I loved the movie MONEYBALL, Jonah Hill being the Yale dude who could read a spread sheet.

Today, Baseball and FOOTBALL (NFL) have been overtaken and enamored with analytics, so too has Internet Marketers. Some thoughts:

My team, the BROWNS, have a head coach from this new school of thought and we see him on the sideline with his big HOTSHEET, a custom tailored analytical view of how to play the opposition.

And they stink. Most embarrassing game ever last week after a bye. Of course, the analytics only hold up IF the players on the field meet their analytical expectations. When a player under performs, like all 11 defensive players, well there has to be an adjustment made on the spread sheet. The ivy league coaches, apparently, don't recognize this.

OK, ok, my rant against my team, well, hardly worth the effort, we have 50 years of suffering, probably will never make it to the superbowl. Our wonderkind new quarterback might break his toes on his first play in two years and be out for this season, and some of next...wouldn't that be justice of sorts?

But here is the thing with IM and analytics. You need to have sales first.

The analysis of no sales is: your marketing sucks.

Now, coming out of a Ben Suarez run company, and he may have been the first of the business analytic geniuses, and a lot of what makes 7 STEPS TO FREEDOM II so boring is the analytical section. It is also a key to making a lot of money if you aren't bored and actually apply what he teaches.

Here is my take. I believe there is exponential slop and mess as you grow your business to the point where analytics of a change of a word on a promotion, is akin to squeezing milk from a stone, when you have a carafe of fresh milk in the fridge.

Maybe because Dien and I both have had so much contact with Harvey Brody, and we like the boutique business model, one man with a little help, and have seen what a well oiled NO employee, NO team, few moving parts business can look like...and still produce enough money for FREEDOM.

Point elGordo? If you are focusing on analytics to get to freedom, maybe work toward freedom first, and let your accountant, banker and lawyer be your analytics team.

I could be wrong.

GordonJ
Old November 20, 2022, 03:49 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The "best" business model?

Hi Gordon,

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days... I'm also a part-time band manager on the side, and the band I manage was preparing to perform at a big festival this weekend, which means I had to chase up a few last minute things in the background...

Hey, but it's pretty cool getting to go to a festival - and getting paid to be there!

Now, there's more than one way to "skin a cat" (whenever someone says that, cats everywhere are cringing )...!

And I think there's definitely more than one way to succeed in business...

For example, one way is by being a master of technology innovation. A lot of companies in the pioneering "tech" space do well because of this... This I would say is Elon Musk's main strength (for example), with Tesla and SpaceX...

Another way is through superior marketing. I would say that the main "competitive advantage" that Ben Suarez and SCI have is due to Ben's superior marketing skills...

For others, the competitive advantage could be through squeezing every single drop of efficiency from the operation... And beating the competition through that.

That's probably the original competitive advantage of the McDonald brothers...

By making burgers on an assembly line, they could make burgers faster than anyone else, sell them at a lower price, and have high quality too...

But I'm with you, Gordon... the Harvey Brody business model is ingenious!

He essentially runs a "virtual corporation"... Where he manufactures quality products, sells them in high volume... and does it with just three people, including himself...!

I feel we're lucky to have had an "inside view"...

Best wishes!

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I loved the movie MONEYBALL, Jonah Hill being the Yale dude who could read a spread sheet.

Today, Baseball and FOOTBALL (NFL) have been overtaken and enamored with analytics, so too has Internet Marketers. Some thoughts:

My team, the BROWNS, have a head coach from this new school of thought and we see him on the sideline with his big HOTSHEET, a custom tailored analytical view of how to play the opposition.

And they stink. Most embarrassing game ever last week after a bye. Of course, the analytics only hold up IF the players on the field meet their analytical expectations. When a player under performs, like all 11 defensive players, well there has to be an adjustment made on the spread sheet. The ivy league coaches, apparently, don't recognize this.

OK, ok, my rant against my team, well, hardly worth the effort, we have 50 years of suffering, probably will never make it to the superbowl. Our wonderkind new quarterback might break his toes on his first play in two years and be out for this season, and some of next...wouldn't that be justice of sorts?

But here is the thing with IM and analytics. You need to have sales first.

The analysis of no sales is: your marketing sucks.

Now, coming out of a Ben Suarez run company, and he may have been the first of the business analytic geniuses, and a lot of what makes 7 STEPS TO FREEDOM II so boring is the analytical section. It is also a key to making a lot of money if you aren't bored and actually apply what he teaches.

Here is my take. I believe there is exponential slop and mess as you grow your business to the point where analytics of a change of a word on a promotion, is akin to squeezing milk from a stone, when you have a carafe of fresh milk in the fridge.

Maybe because Dien and I both have had so much contact with Harvey Brody, and we like the boutique business model, one man with a little help, and have seen what a well oiled NO employee, NO team, few moving parts business can look like...and still produce enough money for FREEDOM.

Point elGordo? If you are focusing on analytics to get to freedom, maybe work toward freedom first, and let your accountant, banker and lawyer be your analytics team.

I could be wrong.

GordonJ
Old November 20, 2022, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default Maybe an "inside view" IS a secret?

I never heard of a HOTSHEET until Joe Karbo showed me one.
Although I had Harvey's big course back in the 80's, along with Cossman's Infomercial Metal Box with a business in it...

And I turned SCI down 3 times until Halbert called me an idiot. You recall some of his emails way back...

So, maybe so. But on the other hand, sometimes, a second hand peek, as we have shared here, and as others have done too, but that might be like the game story, where you whisper in the next person's ear, and see what comes out after it has been around the circle.

It is hard to beat DIRECT seeing, hearing, and being around those that do. Although I understood what Harvey did back in the 80s and 90s, it wasn't until he gave me those many hours of recordings I could listen to over and over and be able to get DIRECT clarification on, when things really clicked over to me. Which led to a streamlining of all of my moolah making activities...when I was shown, and then got rid of my own slop and mess...so there is something to it.

And I guess that is why people will spend 20,000 (and next year 40,000) dollars to have DIRECT access to Alen Sultanic.

Or why they join the Platinum or Gold insider groups. Access to success may not be any better than the book or information they give you, but maybe hearing straight from the "horse's mouth" carries a lot more weight...and gets taken into the deep brain crevices, whereas, information remains on the surface?

OH, I really like the sound the band you manage make, hope they become more well known. I think of it as 'outback calypso', is that wrong of me?

Anyhow, I appreciate all the Mentors I've been blessed with, wish I would have listened to them a bit more, but they, of all people, understand the need for independence too.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days... I'm also a part-time band manager on the side, and the band I manage was preparing to perform at a big festival this weekend, which means I had to chase up a few last minute things in the background...

Hey, but it's pretty cool getting to go to a festival - and getting paid to be there!

Now, there's more than one way to "skin a cat" (whenever someone says that, cats everywhere are cringing )...!

And I think there's definitely more than one way to succeed in business...

For example, one way is by being a master of technology innovation. A lot of companies in the pioneering "tech" space do well because of this... This I would say is Elon Musk's main strength (for example), with Tesla and SpaceX...

Another way is through superior marketing. I would say that the main "competitive advantage" that Ben Suarez and SCI have is due to Ben's superior marketing skills...

For others, the competitive advantage could be through squeezing every single drop of efficiency from the operation... And beating the competition through that.

That's probably the original competitive advantage of the McDonald brothers...

By making burgers on an assembly line, they could make burgers faster than anyone else, sell them at a lower price, and have high quality too...

But I'm with you, Gordon... the Harvey Brody business model is ingenious!

He essentially runs a "virtual corporation"... Where he manufactures quality products, sells them in high volume... and does it with just three people, including himself...!

I feel we're lucky to have had an "inside view"...

Best wishes!

Dien
Old November 22, 2022, 01:22 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Maybe an "inside view" IS a secret?

Hi Gordon,

I agree with you, mentors are very important!

I think it speeds everything up...

One way of getting a mentor is to work for an entrepreneur... And keep your eyes open when you do!

- Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I never heard of a HOTSHEET until Joe Karbo showed me one.
Although I had Harvey's big course back in the 80's, along with Cossman's Infomercial Metal Box with a business in it...

And I turned SCI down 3 times until Halbert called me an idiot. You recall some of his emails way back...

So, maybe so. But on the other hand, sometimes, a second hand peek, as we have shared here, and as others have done too, but that might be like the game story, where you whisper in the next person's ear, and see what comes out after it has been around the circle.

It is hard to beat DIRECT seeing, hearing, and being around those that do. Although I understood what Harvey did back in the 80s and 90s, it wasn't until he gave me those many hours of recordings I could listen to over and over and be able to get DIRECT clarification on, when things really clicked over to me. Which led to a streamlining of all of my moolah making activities...when I was shown, and then got rid of my own slop and mess...so there is something to it.

And I guess that is why people will spend 20,000 (and next year 40,000) dollars to have DIRECT access to Alen Sultanic.

Or why they join the Platinum or Gold insider groups. Access to success may not be any better than the book or information they give you, but maybe hearing straight from the "horse's mouth" carries a lot more weight...and gets taken into the deep brain crevices, whereas, information remains on the surface?

OH, I really like the sound the band you manage make, hope they become more well known. I think of it as 'outback calypso', is that wrong of me?

Anyhow, I appreciate all the Mentors I've been blessed with, wish I would have listened to them a bit more, but they, of all people, understand the need for independence too.

Gordon
Old November 20, 2022, 09:47 PM

Default Re: The "best" business model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Dien

I see another small report on "How To Profit As A Band Manager" on the horizon yes Dien?
Old November 22, 2022, 01:18 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: The "best" business model?

Heheh... I could write one... But I suspect it would have limited interest...

The band manager thing for me (while it is also hard work), is fun...

It's a fascinating "world"... Quite different from the "world" I usually live in...

- Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash4notes View Post
I see another small report on "How To Profit As A Band Manager" on the horizon yes Dien?