SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 16, 2006, 07:01 PM
Unregistered

Default Itinerant Salesman Question

I guess this question is for those familiar with selling from state to state, in the USA. Let's say I want to travel from gun show to gun show throughout the US, selling gadgets and whatnot. I know I will have to make certain Uncle Sam gets his cut, as that's as inevitable as anything is. But what about state taxes? Let's say I travel and makes sales in 20 states during a year. Do I have to collect taxes in every one, and then pay the many states their respective share?

Frank
Old November 17, 2006, 10:27 AM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Itinerant Salesman Question

Normally you only have to pay state taxes in the state in which your business is headquartered. This is not universal, however, so do check it out...a simple phone call will get you their standard brochure or an answer.

While we're on the interstate sales question, do be sure to check out the licensing situation no matter where you go. Most states have reciprocity agreements but some do not, unfortunately.

Beware local licensing also. Around here every little hamlet, town, etc has their own $25.00 to $100.00 or more fee depending on how your sales are approached. It's also why you need a permit for your garage or yard sale (l or 2 yearly allowed). It's a protectionist racket for the local businesses around here.

HTH
Sandi Bowman
Old November 17, 2006, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

Thanks for the response Sandi. Perhaps, if I am just going to be passing through the path of least hassle would be to just ignore this issue, unless I run into a problem somewhere. Then I either meet that state's requirement or not do business there.

Frank
Old November 17, 2006, 11:28 AM
Larry Foster

I can't speak for all states but here in Pa. it's where the customer is and where the sale takes place.
Let's say you are from Ohio and I buy something mail order or internet in Pa., no sales tax need s to be collected.
But if you're at a gun show in Pa. you need to collect taxes.
Pa doen't like not getting their taxes.
Ask me how I know.
BTW, we are avid gun people here. NRA loves us.
Old November 17, 2006, 12:21 PM
Unregistered

But Larry, you are a resident of PA so you are more easily kept track of. I, as a transient salesman might not even appear on their radar screen.

Frank
Old November 18, 2006, 10:30 PM
Larry Foster

My wife does some craft shows.
One of the requirements of many of them is that a Pa Sales Tax License is displayed
Not all require this. It's a requirement of the promoter.
I think they have too much money now and wouldn't mind if you could avoid giving "Fast Eddie" Rendell any more.
Just wouldn't want you to have a hassle.
The one thing I would consider is the possibility that there may be all kinds of gov types at gun shows. ATF, Homeland security. It also is not above Pa Revenus agents to go to things.
I don't know how often they do.