SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 6, 2018, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default $800 bux a week. Is old fashioned selling dead?

I just got off the phone with a guy who wants to help people make 800 bux a week for about 25 to 30 hours of "work". Sounds good, BUT, the work is using the phone to set up appointments and doing B to B sales.

Pretty easy sales in that the pitch is just showing the biz owner the product, and it is instantly understandable and a Yes/No thanks decision is made immediately.

I told this guy MY opinion was, very few people, if any, would be interested in old world get off the couch, out the door and talk to people face to face.

I believe most would rather not work at all rather than having to DO something.

Especially if that something were showing businesses a product which brings them more customers. I think the days of us old timers like; Don Alms, Gordon Alexanders and Zig Ziglars are long gone.

Selling is dead.

So, tell me, if you will... do you think there are people who would be willing to work 30 hours a week (about 10 on the phone and 20 in person) selling a product which would make them between 800 and 1000 bux a week?

My friend on the phone was a little discouraged, and I told him it was only my opinion. I also suggested he find a couple of people to test it out on.

I doubt if any of you would be interested, but perhaps you still know of someone, probably a 40+ guy who is willing to work the old fashioned way to make a decent weekly income.

If so, let me know.

And if I am right, and most think 800 to 1000 a week for 30 hours of real work is not right for them (I think the vast majority of Internet users), then do tell, what do you think people will be willing to do to get themselves to a $50,000.00 a year income from part-time effort?

As long as it isn't face to face, and god forbid, NO selling...what will those efforts look like in 2018?

I don't think my friend will be able to find 4 people in America willing to make money the old fashion way, that is, EARN IT. But I might get surprised.

Gordon

PS. When he told me he could help people make 800 a week, I said PROVE IT, show me your results. He did. And HE DID. I like the people who do it for themselves first BEFORE they try to "help" other people do the thing...

so I vouch for what this guy sells and it is an Evergreen, In Demand product, but still...it is selling (sort of), in that you have to show people the product and let them touch it so they GET IT. But he has been doing this for some time, so it isn't theory, it is results based, my favorite way of judging opportunity.
Old January 6, 2018, 08:00 PM
TommyBoy

Default Re: $800 bux a week. Is old fashioned selling dead?

Gordon, let me chime in here since I don't do it often.

There's selling and there's work. Two different animals in my opinion. Yes, selling is and can be work but they're not always the same. With selling comes rejection, which *can* go to the core of a person's self-worth and confidence. Sure, it's easy to say they're not rejecting you, but that's not how most would view it.

We all know people who are born sales people. They can sell and not think anything of it. My BIL is like that. He has no qualms about going into a business, introducing himself, and trying to get an appointment.

I had another friend in a singing group who was confident he could get us a National Anthem gig for an Major League baseball team (even though He knew no one in the front office). That would terrify me. Singing in front of that audience wouldn't terrify me; making the calls and contacts to get the gig would.

For me, I look at it and say, where do I begin? I am fairly good at small talk and can joke with anybody at any time (and pretty good with Customer Service people on the phone), but as soon as the talk turns to anything I might want out of the person (such as a name of a person or sales), the alarms go up. I'm certain that can be learned and be as natural as joking with people. I'm not there yet.

So, I can interact with people on the phone and in person, but when it's sales oriented, there's something about it that just doesn't work for me. I'm sure it's a mental / psychological thingy/block going on.

So, while I'm sure I've persuaded people I know on ideas I've had or software I've used that could help them, approaching total strangers and convincing them is a whole different ball of wax.

You say "pretty easy sales pitch." Sure, for someone who's sold all his life, it may very well be very easy, but for us nonsales folks, maybe not.

Having said that, I am about ready to apply some of the methods in the Headlights Cleaning Manual to fly low and collect the dough. Because of current circumstances, I may NEED to do that soon. I've been wanting to do it for a while now but have been procrastinating. Even approaching used car dealers and letting them know what I'm about is, as you would say, "pretty easy sales pitch." They either want it or they don't. I get that but there's still a block.

Thanks for keeping up the forum, Gordon.
Old January 6, 2018, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Why I don't consider this selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
Gordon, let me chime in here since I don't do it often.

There's selling and there's work. Two different animals in my opinion. Yes, selling is and can be work but they're not always the same. With selling comes rejection, which *can* go to the core of a person's self-worth and confidence. Sure, it's easy to say they're not rejecting you, but that's not how most would view it.

We all know people who are born sales people. They can sell and not think anything of it. My BIL is like that. He has no qualms about going into a business, introducing himself, and trying to get an appointment.

I had another friend in a singing group who was confident he could get us a National Anthem gig for an Major League baseball team (even though He knew no one in the front office). That would terrify me. Singing in front of that audience wouldn't terrify me; making the calls and contacts to get the gig would.

For me, I look at it and say, where do I begin? I am fairly good at small talk and can joke with anybody at any time (and pretty good with Customer Service people on the phone), but as soon as the talk turns to anything I might want out of the person (such as a name of a person or sales), the alarms go up. I'm certain that can be learned and be as natural as joking with people. I'm not there yet.

So, I can interact with people on the phone and in person, but when it's sales oriented, there's something about it that just doesn't work for me. I'm sure it's a mental / psychological thingy/block going on.

So, while I'm sure I've persuaded people I know on ideas I've had or software I've used that could help them, approaching total strangers and convincing them is a whole different ball of wax.

You say "pretty easy sales pitch." Sure, for someone who's sold all his life, it may very well be very easy, but for us nonsales folks, maybe not.

Having said that, I am about ready to apply some of the methods in the Headlights Cleaning Manual to fly low and collect the dough. Because of current circumstances, I may NEED to do that soon. I've been wanting to do it for a while now but have been procrastinating. Even approaching used car dealers and letting them know what I'm about is, as you would say, "pretty easy sales pitch." They either want it or they don't. I get that but there's still a block.

Thanks for keeping up the forum, Gordon.

Thank You TommyBoy, you are absolutely right.

With this thing, you TELL them what you have for sale on the phone. THEN, you ask if you can stop in to see it for themselves. You have their permission, and what you show them is the PROOF it could do as you say.

At that point, it becomes either a NOT today, thanks or HOW MUCH. If you get a NOT today, you simply ask for permission to contact them in the future, so they can see the results they chose not to do.

For me, and from my 10 year old self, selling begins when the customer says NO. In this case, the NO is never about the salesman, it is about the timing of the product being seen.

Now, sure, some salespeople who have gotten beyond the rejection phase, then this becomes a 2k a week deal. The 800-1000 is tested and proven to be done by, making phone calls, maybe 20 -30 a day, getting 4 to 6 "come on over" and doing that during the work week.

Truthfully, you'll be doing much more selling with a Headlight Cleaning biz, unless you have on street parking in your city and there are a lot of cars within walking distance, then use my little postcard in the window marketing...they call you, there is NO selling.

GordonJ
Old January 7, 2018, 09:05 AM
TommyBoy

Default Re: Why I don't consider this selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Thank You TommyBoy, you are absolutely right.

For me, and from my 10 year old self, selling begins when the customer says NO. In this case, the NO is never about the salesman, it is about the timing of the product being seen.

GordonJ

I think this is where our two views diverge. Not being a salesman I would rarely if ever push beyond a No. But what you're saying is a No is not really a No. And in my two friends above, I can see instances where I've said no, but they pushed further almost to a point of being obnoxious about getting the Yes. Interesting.
Old January 7, 2018, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Default I believe you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
I think this is where our two views diverge. Not being a salesman I would rarely if ever push beyond a No. But what you're saying is a No is not really a No. And in my two friends above, I can see instances where I've said no, but they pushed further almost to a point of being obnoxious about getting the Yes. Interesting.

NO, what I am saying is, if you don't get a NO, then you just take the order, right?

When presenting a product/service your prospect either buys or doesn't. Pretty cut and dried. When Boz was at the car wash, he showed the people a dirty tail light half cleaned, walked up to the car, looked at the headlights, and told the person, "When you're done pull up behind that suburban over there and I'll clean your headlights." Then he walked away.

He was like most people, although physically imposing at 6'4" and 285, he was shy and almost a total introvert who hated selling. So he didn't, not until I showed up. We worked on the approach, in his case, he never gave them the chance to say yes or no. They either pulled up or didn't and he was happy with his system.

So, can we call that selling? I guess he actually had to walk to the front of the car and talk, and some days he was unwilling to do that. But his pitch was, "you got dirty headlights, I can clean them" and he didn't wait for an answer, turning his back on them before they could respond.

Anything other than a Yes or NO after a prospect sees or knows what you have to offer...may start either a controlled process from the seller's standpoint or a "get out of my face" reaction from the prospect's.

NOT caring, as in the way the Boz did it, was a game he played to avoid selling, and it worked ok for him. I at least wanted to give them a reason why a clean headlight should be wanted, to avoid hitting deer at night in the desert. Anyone who drives at night out there, instantly understood that.

OK. Now going to back to my original post and premise, I believe you TommyBoy represent the 99% of people who don't want to sell and would rather not even see the people.

So, I would agree, 100% that these people should not get involved in selling, but find other things to do which don't require any person to person contact.

Which is why I told my friend, I will be surprised if he finds 4 people in the COUNTRY who will take him up on his offer. Everyday, tens of thousands of guys go the burn and churn route, if anyone has ever posted a resume online for being a rep or if they mention selling or marketing at all, I guarantee they will be contacted by one of those guys who burns through scores of people a year, for one simple reason. Greed.

They want the rep to do the hard work of selling for a smaller % of the profits, so you see 25% to 33% being offered, and the whole thing is a grind of seeing the people, some wanting you to see 40 to 60 businesses a day.

That certainly wears people down.

I like the Boz approach of not caring. IF one can afford it. Different situations if you do something for some fun money, as opposed to paying the rent buying food situation. Money desperation carries its own repellant mechanism with it.

The difference between being obnoxious and continuing to gather information is night and day. There are lots of reasons for a NO, and it isn't impolite or obnoxious to find out their reason, and some can't even tell you what it is, they just want to be left alone, so in those cases, leave them alone.

I've always advised people to offer something people WANT and NEED, and your "presentation" can be as easy as "here it is, buy or not", as the Boz did at the carwash.

So, I do agree, even my friend's 800 buck a week simple call, show and complete system is too much for most people, which is why I've created products over the years like THE AUTOMATIC PRODUCT VENDING (APV) sites where no selling is ever needed, just traffic, which is an art form on its own. (Not really, just being able to either afford the traffic or having a traffic system set up).

I doubt many people could make 800 in their first week with either IM, APV, affiliates, Amazon or eCom or even eBay or chatteling...but I do know, because I have seen the proof, that a person can make 800 bux in a week with what my friend has to sell...IF he is willing to

A-Call local businesses.
B- Go show them the product
C- Take the orders

Even I would be hard pressed to make 800 bux cleaning headlights for 30 hours of work in a week.

Thanks TommyBoy, I think you are right, most people need to stay away from selling. I encourage a study of REMOTE direct marketing in these cases.

Gordon
Old January 7, 2018, 01:10 PM

Default My Dad Had Us Selling Garden Vegetables Dr To Dr At Age 10

Thanks Gordon,

When I was 10 years old my Dad had us pick a bunch of garden vegetable
on a Friday.

Box up tomatoes and potatoes and squash and beans
and bell peppers and cabbage.

Then he drove my 2 brothers and me to Apartment Complexes
on SATURDAY MORNING in our station wagon.

Sent us to knock on doors.

People just got p*aid that Friday.

We showed up with Fresh vegetables out of our garden.

A Big RED Tomato in one hand and a GREEN zucchini in the other.

People bought or didn't.

It was a numbers game.

Great Experience for coaching dr to dr and telemarketers today.

In fact I have to keep Saying, "STOP S*ELLING" to the folks I am coaching right now.

Aluminum siding
Solar panels,
Insulation - hot as hades in Texas
Home Water Purification
Home Security Systems

I tell them, "Don't Push. Let the home owner b*uy or not. You're chasing them away."

The thing that SHOCKED me at age 10 was the Number of women who
kept money in their Bra.

Thanks,
Glenn

P.S. - You Are Correct. The folks who Get into DIRECT S*ALES Today who Get
Referred to us are Really motivated. They HAVE to make munny.

I have a fella s*elling Mortgages Dr to Dr Right now. His boss had him calling
100+ Ph #'s a day from a list of Recent Mortgage b*uyers.

He burnt out.

We send him to home owners who just BOUGHT A New Pool. Or
Just moved into a new house.

I've got F_R_E_E ways to get lists of 100's of both.
Old January 7, 2018, 04:18 PM
TommyBoy

Default Re: I believe you are right.

Quote:
NO, what I am saying is, if you don't get a NO, then you just take the order, right?

OK. Now going to back to my original post and premise, I believe you TommyBoy represent the 99% of people who don't want to sell and would rather not even see the people.

So, I would agree, 100% that these people should not get involved in selling, but find other things to do which don't require any person to person contact.

The difference between being obnoxious and continuing to gather information is night and day. There are lots of reasons for a NO, and it isn't impolite or obnoxious to find out their reason, and some can't even tell you what it is, they just want to be left alone, so in those cases, leave them alone.

Thanks TommyBoy, I think you are right, most people need to stay away from selling. I encourage a study of REMOTE direct marketing in these cases.

Gordon

Thanks for your detailed response, Gordon.

In the case of my obnoxious sales friends, in one instance I knew how hard he pushed for the name of the person in charge of my company's representative for cleaning contracts. It wasn't a simple no on my part but quite a few before I said, "let it go. I'm not telling you his name."

Even I would be hard pressed to make 800 bux cleaning headlights for 30 hours of work in a week.

I plan to do this by developing a route / network of used car dealerships throughout a large metro area. I'm gonna give it a shot at least.

It's actually not correct that I don't WANT to sell, but don't think I could ever get over the hurdles necessary to be effective. It's probably 90% (or more) psychological hurdles but they're still hurdles.

It's like the people who have said they could never learn another language. I'm a testament that it's quite possible under the right circumstances. Uncle Sugar taught me Russian in 47 weeks and I gave him a solid 4 years after that in the job. I was highly motivated NOT to fail (in language school) because I would've ended up being a cook or truck driver in some remote area of the world (nothing wrong with those jobs, but just not what I signed up for). It may take longer to learn a language but it's certainly doable for anybody.

I don't know, is the maxim, "Those who say they can and those who say they can't are both right" appropriate here?
Old January 8, 2018, 04:52 AM
donsonic

Thumbs up Re: $800 bux a week. Is old fashioned selling dead?

Sowpub Readers,

At the bottom line...

B2B selling is not dead. It's a "mindset" going on here. Just like MLM and Network Marketing selling, many folks/people are going to AVOID IT like the plague. I was on the train last week full of people. HUNDREDS. 95% of them were on the phone talking or texting with that BLUE GLOW on their faces. The other 5% were reading. I was one of the only ones looking at what was going on. I also pointed it out to someone beside me. She stopped and talked to me for a few minutes and went right back to texting on her phone. Sorry to say we're in a completely different environment from 20-30 years ago. There's the age of BF-AF. Before phone, after phone. TODAY, you'll have a hard time getting anyone to do face to face marketing. That's just the reality of it all. Even todays hard core B2B commissioned sales people are using social media, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. I'm on it every day. Again, the direct sales mindset is DEAD. B2B selling has gone DIGITAL just like everything else. Knocking on doors...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It's an ERA relegated to the past.

Happy New Year for all Sowpubbers.

With utmost respect,

Donnie Dixon
Old January 8, 2018, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Default It is why I met with an app developer last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsonic View Post
Sowpub Readers,

At the bottom line...

B2B selling is not dead. It's a "mindset" going on here. Just like MLM and Network Marketing selling, many folks/people are going to AVOID IT like the plague. I was on the train last week full of people. HUNDREDS. 95% of them were on the phone talking or texting with that BLUE GLOW on their faces. The other 5% were reading. I was one of the only ones looking at what was going on. I also pointed it out to someone beside me. She stopped and talked to me for a few minutes and went right back to texting on her phone. Sorry to say we're in a completely different environment from 20-30 years ago. There's the age of BF-AF. Before phone, after phone. TODAY, you'll have a hard time getting anyone to do face to face marketing. That's just the reality of it all. Even todays hard core B2B commissioned sales people are using social media, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. I'm on it every day. Again, the direct sales mindset is DEAD. B2B selling has gone DIGITAL just like everything else. Knocking on doors...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It's an ERA relegated to the past.

Happy New Year for all Sowpubbers.

With utmost respect,

Donnie Dixon

Thanks Donnie,

I'm not going to learn how to develop apps, but I will hire someone, and last week I met with just such a person to discuss it.

You just observed the phenomenon I call, The Age of the External Brain.

Over the Holidays we wanted to go see a movie, so my daughter whips out her phone and in seconds tells me what is playing, where and when, and then can instantly tell me what it is about, who is in it and the rotten tomato score.

Likewise, any little piece of trivia or even HOW TO can be quickly accessed in our External Brains.

NO need for much study in everday areas. Want to know how to make a souffle, just youtube it on your external brain.

Well, we old timers can either lament the times of personal engagement, OR join in. Which is why I talked to the app developer.

Working on a few apps from my core: cooking, golf, selling and persuasion.

A POCKET PRO for any situation, if the home computer was our first generation external brains, we are now in the Dick Tracy area of small portable TV/Radio studios, multi-channel communications and instant library knowledge...

let's cash in. Things aren't going to go the other wayl are they?

GordonJ

PS. Also, they person WILLING to go out and talk to people, will, in my opinion, always be able to make their moolah with something to sell.
Old January 8, 2018, 10:41 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The power of "Rejection Therapy"...!

Quote:
I told this guy MY opinion was, very few people, if any, would be interested in old world get off the couch, out the door and talk to people face to face.

I believe most would rather not work at all rather than having to DO something.
As TommyBoy I think pointed out, the big deal with doing face-to-face sales is the REJECTION!

Nobody likes rejection...!

I recently had to hand out flyers to complete strangers on the street... (This was in my role as a band manager, to promote a performance of the band...)

I was having trouble doing it. I'd assess the person walking down the street... Think to myself... "Naaah..." Then do the same with the next person... and the next!

Eventually, I figured out, I'd turn it into a game. I remembered something I had seen and read about... Rejection therapy! The goal was to get as many rejections as possible!

So I set a goal of 10 rejections... And you know what? The psychology completely changed!

I found when I got rejected, and a person rejected my flyer, I was elated! I was closer to my goal!

When someone accepted the flyer... I was a little bit disappointed, because I wasn't closer to my goal of 10 rejections.

The key was, it got me over my fear...

So, say I'd had 2 rejections already. I'd approach someone, and say something like, "Have you seen this?" and hand them a flyer. If they asked for more info, I'd tell them that it was a performance of a band, etc.

If they turned me down, I'd say to myself "Yippee! Now I've got 3 rejections! Only 7 more to go!"

Well, it became much easier with that mindset...!

In that vein, I highly recommend watching some of the videos at "100 Days of Rejection Therapy"...

You'll not only get a kick out of it... It could also help your sales...!

This guy went out and tried to ask people to do (or if he could do) ridiculous things, with the goal of being rejected. His own goal was to overcome his fear of rejection. He had some hilarious results!

For example, you know how Walmart has "greeters" at their stores? He asked if he could be a "greeter" for a Starbucks cafe!

Another one was, you know how some places give free drink refills? He thought he'd ask for a "burger refill"...

Check it out...

100 days of Rejection Therapy
https://www.rejectiontherapy.com/100...ction-therapy/

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Rejection Therapy Day 3 - Ask for Olympic Symbol Doughnuts - is pretty awesome...

P.P.S. If you want to see the videos full-sized, click on the word "YouTube" at the bottom right of the video after you start playing it...

Last edited by Dien Rice : January 8, 2018 at 11:02 AM.