SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 21, 2019, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default Why people hate selling (salesman) ... and an EFFECTIVE alternative to it, IS...

Don't sell. Quit selling. Instead, show and tell.

A tip of the hat to the old Don Alm type advertising game, although he was a master salesman...many of his advertising programs were more along the lines of show and tell.

When I did demo work, that was more akin to showing, and telling although some of my early demo days were selling from a script (at fairs, kitchen utensils and in stores, cutlery) and you had to draw a crowd around and demonstrate in DRAMATIC fashion and get the crowed enthused.

A lot of valuable lessons come from doing that (if you are successful). But I took to selling at a very young age and liked testing MAGIC WORDS and routines on people knowing that "the selling begins when the customer says NO!"...

Still a great Biz-Op for those overt oriented people, big personality types, and a ton of money to be made.

But for the majority of people, especially professionals like Realtors for example, as opposed to Car salespeople, who bring sort of a rep with them...the Real Estate game is a lot of show and tell. Any given day there are a slew of OPEN HOUSES where they show and tell about the house.

Maybe when they find a qualified prospect, more selling takes place of the traditional kind, but I believe mostly homes are bought rather than being sold and as a former GRI Realtor, I think I could easily support that claim.

But my point today is for anyone looking for a Biz-Op, or a side hustle, a few gigs to bring in the moolah, to earn some pin money, to have more income to use for whatever they want...

is

choose a business opportunity where you can make fast profits with little to no selling involved.

Choose a product or service where you can SHOW AND TELL and not try to sell.

It is much easier on your nerves, better for your wallets, takes less time and you make more money.

Sure, if you have the chops or the brass, go and sell baby sell.

But for most of us, I really think the best thing we can do is to choose a product that you only need to show to people, and even then, the TELLING part can be done on a flyer or HOTSHEET, and you could be home bingeing Netflix.

Any thoughts?

GordonJ
Old October 22, 2019, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Why people hate selling (salesman) ... and an EFFECTIVE alternative to it, IS...

Would the product selection depend on the personality type of the individual as well? Or would that just be choice?

What would be interesting would be a nice list.

However, it just occurred to me that perhaps an info product where you explain the benefits and show exactly what a person receives without giving away the store might be considered show and tell. But, that gets into a bit of work.
Old October 22, 2019, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Well, I have a different take on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Would the product selection depend on the personality type of the individual as well? Or would that just be choice?

What would be interesting would be a nice list.

However, it just occurred to me that perhaps an info product where you explain the benefits and show exactly what a person receives without giving away the store might be considered show and tell. But, that gets into a bit of work.

Thanks Millard, my first answer is Yes, and No. But let us back up to the decision.

Do people just fall into sales situations or is it a conscious choice? I think all would agree that it is a choice one makes, right?

So, if a person chooses sales over doing something else for income, that is where and when they should consider their personality and aptitudes.

The most started selling job, although it is touted as a "people" business, is MLM or Network Marketing. Find two people, they find two and so on until everyone is a millionaire, a double diamond direct or gold star winner.

But if the MLMer doesn't move (sell) product, they don't last very long, and MOST, v a s t majority find out pretty quickly they are NOT suited to do this "people" business.

So I always ask salespeople what got them into what they are selling, and surprisingly, the answer has been, it seemed like a good idea, or it sounded like something I could do, or I started out on fire, but the selling just

ground
me
down.

Selling can be a grind. Anyone who has done it knows it CAN be, but it doesn't have to be. Of course there are those BORN (Don Alm-Don Trump types) salesman, who just have confidence they can do anything, so selling comes easy to them.

I was a Realtor with my GRI, which took me two years of classes to get, then I hit the deck running and found the brokers wanted me to GRIND for five years on a local "farm", to develop my skills. I don't think they do that these days, but still, most Realtors, are part-timers, only about 33% are full time professionals.

Used car salesman avg. around 36k a year, albeit the superstars could go over 150k or more. It too, has some of the highest turnover in the sales game.

So to get around to trying to answer the question, sure, personality can make a difference, IF the person knows and is aware of that going in. The problem, especially with today's ONLINE fluff, hype and easy-peasy ...

do what I did and you too can make 100k a year, just like me...

BS, and so many either desperate or unhappy at their current jobs (or tired of living in mommies basement) get involved in things which REQUIRE selling, although they are led to believe that it doesn't.

So a list, of products, as I understand your question might give someone considering a sales position, some food for thought, but I would say, THINK about alternatives to doing any selling, and if you do have to sell, make it as pull, easy, as SHOW AND TELL as you can. Or do something else.

Now for a couple of REAL LIFE examples.

For that last decade or so, I've worked with several people in the co-op ADVERTISING business, which has included many platforms. Everything from Pizza Box Tops, to register tapes...to the giant postcards, hosts (like gyms) and events, like bridal showers. This is a lucrative business for the good salesperson.

A very recent example to demonstrate. MENU BOARDS, which I advertised a few months ago, these are given away FREE to restaurants, and ads are sold on the bottom or sides of the boards. Finding a restaurant is easy, finding one that the owner or manage will freely HELP you find advertisers is difficult, because...

they don't want to either offend anyone,
or
bother anyone.

A restaurant owner may have 3-5 insurance agents come in, so he is reluctant to put on one his board for fear the others would ask, why not me?

Or, he just feels uneasy about suggesting someone, and we've found out that is where the SELLING has to come in. Some people doing these CO-OP ads make it sound like SHOW AND TELL, all you have to do is show the giant 9x12 postcard and the business practically THROWS the 495 bux at you.

Which is more BS. Getting ad money from a business can be very hard, especially from the mom and pop.

Anyone who has done the co-op thing, and especially the big postcard people are constantly bombarded with the latest and greatest...do it from home, with email, phone calls...and for another 97 to 297 you get the insider details.

And it turns out the lady doing it all on the phone and by email is spending 50+ hours a week making a workman's wage. But those type of biz-ops are sold via HYPE to begin with, and usually by people who have the back end of the business too.

Anyhow...there are some people who easily place menu boards and get advertisers, but it has been hard to find those people because most get discouraged with all co-op ventures when the reality of SELLING comes into it, most people can't take the RE JECT ION . And it comes at them pretty fast.

When my local ghost town was actually a busy MALL, I couldn't resist Mrs. Fields cookies fresh from the oven. The salesman? The aroma wafting through the air. About as pull or magnetic as it gets. Same for nuts at the arena, or elephant ears at the fair.

Those people chose a business that wasn't dependent on selling. Mrs. Fields never knocked on my door and used massive persuasion to get me to BUY a cookie from her, same for Little Debbie.

But back to real life examples, with co-op advertising. We've had success with restaurants, but we've run into problems getting other people to do it, and one reason why is we don't hype and BS, we tell people they have to call on business and SELL the ads, even though we help, provide scripts avail ourselves...we can't do it for them. So many of the reps in various programs drop out because of the rejection grind on their spirits.

But, we've discovered some markets, where there is both virgin territory and huge numbers, which is truly a SHOW AND TELL co-op, with the person we're showing it to, READY, WILLING, ABLE and enthused about

giving us the TWO OR THREE advertisers to make it profitable

because...

they are already sharing customers with these other businesses, it is an industry that is "in bed" with several others due to the nature of the biz.

In this case, we can SHOW AND TELL in about a 3 hour day, ONE DAY A WEEK, and generate enough business for the week, which requires about 5 to 8 hours to take care of.

Sorry about being so long winded, but I think if I had learned this many years ago, I would have taken a different course. So maybe a reader here can benefit from THE IDEA,

From THINKING about the transaction process of exchanging the money for the product/service and choose a more show and tell way of doing things than having to spend time learning persuasion, manipulation, SELLING and all that jazz.

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : October 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old October 22, 2019, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Why people hate selling (salesman) ... and an EFFECTIVE alternative to it, IS...

Gordon,

I appreciate the thoughts on selling. Your example of Mrs. Fields cookies helped me put my mind around your thinking.

I was never a born salesman, but hit the streets selling Grit newspapers when I was a teen, to selling credit card services to businesses, and even time-shares to folks. Sometimes you've got to do what ya gotta do.

Once I found a niche doing shows for schools, my performing business became a full-time deal. Even then I had to make a lot of calls. However, my business REALLY took off when I used referrals in a unique way.

Thanks for your insight.

Your experience and insight are always a pleasure to read.
Old October 22, 2019, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Default Thinking cap on. Who uses the most referrals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Gordon,

I appreciate the thoughts on selling. Your example of Mrs. Fields cookies helped me put my mind around your thinking.

I was never a born salesman, but hit the streets selling Grit newspapers when I was a teen, to selling credit card services to businesses, and even time-shares to folks. Sometimes you've got to do what ya gotta do.

Once I found a niche doing shows for schools, my performing business became a full-time deal. Even then I had to make a lot of calls. However, my business REALLY took off when I used referrals in a unique way.

Thanks for your insight.

Your experience and insight are always a pleasure to read.

Grit was a fun read and fun to sell, I had established customers for years, and they became good Kristee Products customers too, mostly kitchen utensils and cleaning items. I ordered a lot of mail order stuff too from Grit.

Any business can REALLY TAKE OFF, when they implement a good referral program. So, think about it. Everyone.

Who or what industries needs constant referrals, MUST work with other service providers, and is EVERGREEN as the Parade of Life itself.

Instead of asking the Restaurant guys to give us leads, which they turned out to be reluctant to do, we had to think of other places a CHALK BOARD could be used. Found several, like Dry Cleaners, gyms, studios (dance, martial arts) and other high traffic places, but ONE seems (still testing, never jump the gun til the RESULTS are in) to be ideal.

Remote operation, or local. One half day of "dropping off flyers", a few hours of follow up, TARGETS STUCK in their locations and easy to locate...and with many other business partners as PART of their business.

I never THOUGHT so much in my day, just did what, like you said, needed to be done and that was often a bone headed grind I created because I didn't think outside the old box. Referrals are for sure, a PULL way of getting leads, and leads with a good feeling too.

Anyhow, THANKS Millard for taking your time to post and respond, it is appreciated.

Gordon
Old October 22, 2019, 08:57 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Could be revolutionary...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

Choose a product or service where you can SHOW AND TELL and not try to sell.
Hi Gordon,

I really liked your post... Showing is great! I wish I'd done more of it...

I guess, as you said, you need to choose a product or service where you can "show and tell"...

Some products can be shown "virtually". There's video, of course. But you can also provide a description of what it's like experiencing the product... That's a kind of "virtual" showing...

Here's an example, from Joe Sugarman, who was selling the "Bone Fone" in 1979... A kind of personal audio device you draped around your neck. It was released, and started to sell well... Then Sony released the Walkman, killing his sales!

In his ad, he uses "virtual" showmanship...

The body of the ad starts...
"You're standing in an open field. Suddenly there's music from all directions. Your bones resonate as if you're listening to beautiful stereo music in front of a powerful home stereo system.

"But there's no radio in sight and nobody else hears what you do. It's an unbelievable experience that will send chills through your body when you first hear it."
Bone Fone Ad (click on the picture on that page to expand it)
http://danoday.com/blog/2011/04/bone...seph-sugarman/

This is a kind of verbal picture of the experience, kind of like "showing" the experience of the product - but via text!

(I think you do this sometimes, too, Gordon... I remember one of your ads from many years ago gave a story of your experience of opening up your physical mail box, and getting a few checks addressed to you every day... Kind of "showing" the benefits of doing what you would teach people to do...!)

By the way, "showing" takes time... But it's time well spent!

I need to do more of this...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old October 22, 2019, 09:18 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Another incredible example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Here's an example, from Joe Sugarman, who was selling the "Bone Fone" in 1979... A kind of personal audio device you draped around your neck. It was released, and started to sell well... Then Sony released the Walkman, killing his sales!

In his ad, he uses "virtual" showmanship...
Here's another (more recent) example... From International Living...

Headline...
"Impossibly Blue Skies Against the Warm Turquoise Sea... Soft, White Sand Beaches, Tropical Palms Swaying in the Breeze..."
From the body of the ad...
"Leave your snow shovels and parkas...even your watch...behind because you won’t need them. And toss away your shoes while you’re at it—a bathing suit and a pair of flip flops is all you’ll need. Spend your days chasing a fish or two or nursing an ice-cold beer, and call that a good day’s work...

"After the sun goes down, head to your favorite beach bar and dig into a plate of freshly-caught seabass, shrimp, or lobster... Spread some good cheer with friends, dance to a reggae beat, and then amble off towards home."
https://pro.internationalliving.com/...1AIR/E121VAI6/

(For a Belize and Caribbean Mexico Conference they are promoting for later this year...)

They don't really explain what it's like. They put you there, so you "experience" it yourself! "Showing" rather than explaining (but via text)...

By the way, this can also be done via audio (for radio and other audio ads, for example)...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old October 23, 2019, 06:42 AM

Seems to me that infomercials are a good example of "show and tell," although, the vast majority hype cheap items that don't last kong enough to give you your money's worth.

Is it possible to use the techniques of these infomercials to sell something that actually helps folks or really saves money?

I think so.

It is just a matter of just doing it.

Sigh... If one just had the time.
Old October 23, 2019, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Default I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Here's another (more recent) example... From International Living...

Headline...
"Impossibly Blue Skies Against the Warm Turquoise Sea... Soft, White Sand Beaches, Tropical Palms Swaying in the Breeze..."
From the body of the ad...
"Leave your snow shovels and parkas...even your watch...behind because you won’t need them. And toss away your shoes while you’re at it—a bathing suit and a pair of flip flops is all you’ll need. Spend your days chasing a fish or two or nursing an ice-cold beer, and call that a good day’s work...

"After the sun goes down, head to your favorite beach bar and dig into a plate of freshly-caught seabass, shrimp, or lobster... Spread some good cheer with friends, dance to a reggae beat, and then amble off towards home."
https://pro.internationalliving.com/...1AIR/E121VAI6/

(For a Belize and Caribbean Mexico Conference they are promoting for later this year...)

They don't really explain what it's like. They put you there, so you "experience" it yourself! "Showing" rather than explaining (but via text)...

By the way, this can also be done via audio (for radio and other audio ads, for example)...

Best wishes,

Dien

I was only wearing my multi-colored Hawaiian bathing suit and a pair of flip flops. The sky was so bright, I couldn't tell where it ended and the ocean began. And while being mesmerized by the swaying palms, I stepped on the jelly fish, and the sting brought me to my knees.

I looked to make sure it wasn't a man of war, but I was lucky it was only a common jelly fish. But it hurt.

As I sat down to examine my foot closer, I sat on what must have been a large colony of sand fleas. It wasn't long until I felt them crawling into my bathing suit, biting as they went.

I jumped up, and on one foot hopped liked a madman all while flailing at my suit, and without thinking too much I hopped into the water, stepped on a seashell and fell head first into a crashing wave.

The wave took my suit right off my body.

There I was, naked, stung, bitten, bleeding from the shell, and then someone on the beach yelled, "SHARK".

I knew a shark is attracted to blood in the water and they were known to come into very shallow waters for their prey.

I jumped up in a panic, and a lady on the beach screamed and pointed, and all the eyes were instantly upon me.

I covered my privates while hopping on alternate legs, and someone tossed me a large beach towel, which I wrapped myself in while trying to get off the beach, but I stumbled and fell and that is when the flock of sea gulls took off over my head and covering me in sea gull droppings.

Then a kid kicked sand in my face, I apparently fell on top of the sand castle he had spent all morning making. Getting up, I was blind and couldn't see where I was going when I fell on top of the kid's mother who was also the lady who screamed a few moments earlier.

Even though the beach wasn't crowded, the sparse pack instantly gathered around me in various stages of laughter, amazement, disgust. Kids were crying, women were shrieking, men were howling.

It was my first day in paradise.

And that is why I am here, at Valley View Ski Lodge, the sun dancing off the fresh fallen snow, the pristine slope awaiting. The fire crackles in the lodge, a cup of hot chocolate awaits my return. The hot tub in my room bubbles away my coldness.

This year, embrace your cold. And don't forget to bring your Parka, the soft berber fleece lining, the 200 g Thermafil, and the detachable hood and of course, the quality of Eddie Bauer.

See you on the slopes.

GJA
Old November 9, 2019, 12:10 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I was only wearing my multi-colored Hawaiian bathing suit and a pair of flip flops. The sky was so bright, I couldn't tell where it ended and the ocean began. And while being mesmerized by the swaying palms, I stepped on the jelly fish, and the sting brought me to my knees.

I looked to make sure it wasn't a man of war, but I was lucky it was only a common jelly fish. But it hurt.

As I sat down to examine my foot closer, I sat on what must have been a large colony of sand fleas. It wasn't long until I felt them crawling into my bathing suit, biting as they went.

I jumped up, and on one foot hopped liked a madman all while flailing at my suit, and without thinking too much I hopped into the water, stepped on a seashell and fell head first into a crashing wave.

The wave took my suit right off my body.

There I was, naked, stung, bitten, bleeding from the shell, and then someone on the beach yelled, "SHARK".

I knew a shark is attracted to blood in the water and they were known to come into very shallow waters for their prey.

I jumped up in a panic, and a lady on the beach screamed and pointed, and all the eyes were instantly upon me.

I covered my privates while hopping on alternate legs, and someone tossed me a large beach towel, which I wrapped myself in while trying to get off the beach, but I stumbled and fell and that is when the flock of sea gulls took off over my head and covering me in sea gull droppings.

Then a kid kicked sand in my face, I apparently fell on top of the sand castle he had spent all morning making. Getting up, I was blind and couldn't see where I was going when I fell on top of the kid's mother who was also the lady who screamed a few moments earlier.

Even though the beach wasn't crowded, the sparse pack instantly gathered around me in various stages of laughter, amazement, disgust. Kids were crying, women were shrieking, men were howling.

It was my first day in paradise.

And that is why I am here, at Valley View Ski Lodge, the sun dancing off the fresh fallen snow, the pristine slope awaiting. The fire crackles in the lodge, a cup of hot chocolate awaits my return. The hot tub in my room bubbles away my coldness.

This year, embrace your cold. And don't forget to bring your Parka, the soft berber fleece lining, the 200 g Thermafil, and the detachable hood and of course, the quality of Eddie Bauer.

See you on the slopes.

GJA
Thanks Gordon, this was brilliant (and hilarious)!

Somehow, it reminds me a little of "Acres of Diamonds"... there's treasure in your own back yard!

Best wishes,

Dien