SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 15, 2023, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default A debate about copywriting.

It is mostly a self debate, because, in the world, those who call themselves COPYWRITERS fall into one of several groups...and it doesn't matter which group but the basic concept they all share is>>>>>>>>

their words PERSUADE people to buy.

I say sometimes. Maybe. The GREATS have made fortunes when only 3 or 4 of 100 people who read their brilliant copy, actually respond and buy.

As a group of people, I find they are self-delusional, on the Dunning-Kruger spectrum of overestimating their powers, and as often as not, UNnecessary in most transactions of real products.

That is one side of the debate, and given the time of the day, I might fall into that side. On the other side, is a ton of money I have been paid to write copy for big companies, after convincing them I knew what I was doing. And from the many repeat gigs that came from that, maybe even some truth to it.

I am conflicted, SOME times about the whole idea of copywriting.

And TODAY, as I am prepping my INFORMATION marketers to do this year, is to try to avoid those areas where copywriting is needed, or, in other words, work in markets with big DEMANDS, and evergreen on-going buyers from the Parade of Life, and save yourself a lot of time and make more money when you DON'T USE those secret copywriting tools of influence, persuasion and manipulation.

However, within the debate, there are WORDS, often jargon or triggers, or dog whistles even, that can be used to at least capture the attention of a given avatar.

Gordon
Old January 15, 2023, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default Switch words, redux.

As a self exclaimed authority and expert on Switchwords, and if you have any questions, please ask...

But there are the 3 basic types:

Switchwords which bring the conscious and subconscious minds together for a desired result.

Switchwords to USE with people to interrupt or at times intercept their ideas, thoughts and emotions.

Switchwords of manifestation, which is somewhat a combination of both of the above. It depends on what you are wanting to manifest.
In my above DEBATE about COPYWRITING, I refer to the second type, the USE of switchwords to lead someone to a foregone conclusion, in marketing, that would be a SALE. A TRANSACTION.

It is my belief, from the last 60 years of study, the most effective of all prompts have the least moving parts, the least number of words/thoughts and those that instantly startle the RAS, and allow entrance to the inner depths of our reptile-responsive selves.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
It is mostly a self debate, because, in the world, those who call themselves COPYWRITERS fall into one of several groups...and it doesn't matter which group but the basic concept they all share is>>>>>>>>

their words PERSUADE people to buy.

I say sometimes. Maybe. The GREATS have made fortunes when only 3 or 4 of 100 people who read their brilliant copy, actually respond and buy.

As a group of people, I find they are self-delusional, on the Dunning-Kruger spectrum of overestimating their powers, and as often as not, UNnecessary in most transactions of real products.

That is one side of the debate, and given the time of the day, I might fall into that side. On the other side, is a ton of money I have been paid to write copy for big companies, after convincing them I knew what I was doing. And from the many repeat gigs that came from that, maybe even some truth to it.

I am conflicted, SOME times about the whole idea of copywriting.

And TODAY, as I am prepping my INFORMATION marketers to do this year, is to try to avoid those areas where copywriting is needed, or, in other words, work in markets with big DEMANDS, and evergreen on-going buyers from the Parade of Life, and save yourself a lot of time and make more money when you DON'T USE those secret copywriting tools of influence, persuasion and manipulation.

However, within the debate, there are WORDS, often jargon or triggers, or dog whistles even, that can be used to at least capture the attention of a given avatar.

Gordon
Old January 15, 2023, 03:34 PM

Default Re: A debate about copywriting.

Thanks Gordon.

Intrigued about Switchwords.

Copywriters do tend to have a high opinion of themselves but if they can convert even at 1% they can make their clients a lot of money.

Headlines (email subject lines) need to grab - if you don't get attention there, the delete or back buttons are ever ready.

That said, a pattern interrupt can be good.

With emails, I'll tend to open if it doesn't sound like a pitch. But I'll also obey the idiots who think asking me to delete the email is the key to me opening it

Knowing your target market helps - get under the skin, understand them and be on their side. If doing that is copywriting then I'm with that approach.

There's no single correct approach - different sectors of the market will be attracted to different sales pages.

The big thing is to do it rather than procrastinate. A so-so sales page that's live beats an excellent one that hasn't been published yet!
Old January 15, 2023, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Copywriting - one more thing

Process is simple:

Write your first draft.

Read it.

Out loud!

Wherever you stumble, that's where it needs tweaking or adjusting.

And if you've got a friend who's crazy enough to go through the process with you, make sure they pick up on when you change the words you read.
Old January 15, 2023, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default Yes, AMEN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevord92 View Post
Thanks Gordon.
Intrigued about Switchwords.
Copywriters do tend to have a high opinion of themselves but if they can convert even at 1% they can make their clients a lot of money.
Headlines (email subject lines) need to grab - if you don't get attention there, the delete or back buttons are ever ready.
That said, a pattern interrupt can be good.
With emails, I'll tend to open if it doesn't sound like a pitch. But I'll also obey the idiots who think asking me to delete the email is the key to me opening it
Knowing your target market helps - get under the skin, understand them and be on their side. If doing that is copywriting then I'm with that approach.
There's no single correct approach - different sectors of the market will be attracted to different sales pages.
The big thing is to do it rather than procrastinate. A so-so sales page that's live beats an excellent one that hasn't been published yet!

I agree, and argue the CHOICE of your target market, is the best thing you can do and to take your time and test it, then give it all the value you have.

It really is NOT all that hard, when you take the time to match the Intersection with the Avatar and meet them there at the right time. Then, if you want to scare them yell boo and pop a big red balloon.

To further this discussion, I have seen the copywriting gurus, with HOW TO BE LIKE ME, and Copy writing as a Biz-Op convince two generations now of want to be marketers that the copy is the thing they must learn, and pay dearly to do so.

OK, if that is what anyone buys into, almost guaranteed to add about 3 to 5 years of it that one doesn't need to spend when choosing the right market in the first place. 90 days seems like a long time to choose, test and know a market is going to respond to your offers...but it beats wasting 3 to 5 years of time because some guy you paid 5k to, sez it does.

As for Switchwords, it may all come down to: relief, release, relish or repent.

Basic underlying foundations of belief, and it doesn't require thousands of words to get some to understand your product relieves their pain, etc.

Gordon
Old January 16, 2023, 02:05 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default A hard lesson to learn...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Hi Gordon,

Although it's not the same, it reminds me of this...
"Look for easy-to-sell products and avoid marketing challenges - the payoffs may not be worth the time and effort. I learned this the hard way."

https://twitter.com/dougdanna/status...49508085420035
That's from Doug D'Anna, a successful copywriter, especially in the financial space. He says it's one of the lessons he learned from Gary Bencivenga, another very successful copywriter...

Sometimes the ego wants a hard challenge - to "prove" yourself!

But... from a money-making point of view, the best fruit to pick are the low-hanging fruit! Why give up easy pickings?

A hard lesson for me to learn too (and I'm still learning it)!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old January 16, 2023, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Default Thanks Dien,

Bencivenga is my all time fav.
He is/was great, for the products he hawked.
Neither of those guys looked for easy to sell products, BECAUSE, of the markets. When trying to extract a lot of money from "investor" types, disposable income crowds, high end...

there needs to be a real skin in the game feel, as you know it is what those investor type information products do (did??).

Those are high profile, look who I'm standing next to today types, and for some of us, joining in the campfire songfest, just was never the right thing to do.

Sure many made great money, millions, maybe even 100 million, and if that is the motivation, by all means go where the biggest slice of lemmings live and help them to cliffside.

For many of us, without the need for public affection and adoration, there are tons of niches, boatloads of markets, gazillions of things to sell without the need for hype, persuasion, influence, salesmanship...

Although, having those skills, if AWARENESS of when to use them is also present, doesn't hurt.

Shrunken heads. Potato guns. Chinese Yo-yos. Etch-a-sketch. Oil with a spout. Fortunes made. Without the fanfare, noise, and award shows.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Although it's not the same, it reminds me of this...

"Look for easy-to-sell products and avoid marketing challenges - the payoffs may not be worth the time and effort. I learned this the hard way."

https://twitter.com/dougdanna/status...49508085420035
That's from Doug D'Anna, a successful copywriter, especially in the financial space. He says it's one of the lessons he learned from Gary Bencivenga, another very successful copywriter...

Sometimes the ego wants a hard challenge - to "prove" yourself!

But... from a money-making point of view, the best fruit to pick are the low-hanging fruit! Why give up easy pickings?

A hard lesson for me to learn too (and I'm still learning it)!

Best wishes,

Dien