SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 6, 2017, 12:14 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Overcoming your fear in business...

Many feel a sense of fear when they contemplate starting a business... Or there may be a feeling of fear when they start to create something, or start to sell their product or service, or many other various processes...

I think the vast majority of people feel these fearful feelings at some point or another...

How do you deal with it? How do you overcome it?

Some call it "fear of failure"... But I wonder, is it more "fear of the unknown?" Often, in business, we don't know what the outcome will be! Not knowing can cause fear...

Some embrace it, and get a thrill from jumping into the unknown!

Others consider all the things that can go wrong, then make a plan of how to tackle each and every possibility. If they can, they structure things from the beginning to minimize the negative possibilities...

Others create a "Plan B"... even a "Plan C" and "Plan D"... to have "backup plans" if things don't go as they expect...

While others will create multiple pathways to success, so there is not just one way to succeed. (This is kind of similar to the "Plan B" etc. approach, except they may implement multiple plans simultaneously...)

And there's always the power of prayer...

There are many ways to deal with it!

Here's an interesting article on how some successful entrepreneurs have dealt with this feeling... (Starting with Barbara Corcoran from Shark Tank...)

Overcoming The Biggest Challenge In Business: Your Own Insecurity
https://www.forbes.com/sites/cheryls.../#4ac7a2943aa4

What are your thoughts on this?

Best wishes,

Dien
Old June 9, 2017, 10:08 AM

Default "It's an everyday struggle..."

Thanks for sharing this, Dien.

We fight our biggest battles in our minds.

And it all boils down to FEAR.

Fear of failure

Fear of rejection.

I find that believing in a Higher Power helps.

Knowing that you are here for a reason can help you act in spite of all those nagging little voices in your head.

I also find it helpful to see things in their true context.

If I try something and it doesn't pan out as planned, I've gotten useful FEEDBACK.

Feedback I would have missed if I kept on waiting for that "perfect" moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post

How do you deal with it? How do you overcome it?

Some call it "fear of failure"... But I wonder, is it more "fear of the unknown?"

And there's always the power of prayer...

Here's an interesting article on how some successful entrepreneurs have dealt with this feeling... (Starting with Barbara Corcoran from Shark Tank...)

What are your thoughts on this?

Dien

Last edited by unpinkpanther : June 9, 2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old June 13, 2017, 11:28 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: "It's an everyday struggle..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
Thanks for sharing this, Dien.

We fight our biggest battles in our minds.

And it all boils down to FEAR.

Fear of failure

Fear of rejection.

I find that believing in a Higher Power helps.

Knowing that you are here for a reason can help you act in spite of all those nagging little voices in your head.

I also find it helpful to see things in their true context.

If I try something and it doesn't pan out as planned, I've gotten useful FEEDBACK.

Feedback I would have missed if I kept on waiting for that "perfect" moment...
Hi Unpink,

I agree with all that you've said...

I also use the belief in a Higher Power... The power of prayer can certainly help you overcome any fears!

It's actually quite a powerful thing to use...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old June 22, 2017, 04:39 PM
SecretAgentMan

Default Re: Overcoming your fear in business...

Dien,

I agree with you on the higher power. Many people call me "strong" and other positive adjectives, and the only thing I can point to is the higher power.

Many activities that normally absorb willpower and effort have become effortless because of that connection with a higher power.

For me, that means most things. there are a few things I am learning which are still not into that "effortless" category, but they are getting there.

As far as fear goes, I personally am not so sure that fear is the greatest enemy in business or life. At least, it seems that way for me.

Of course, I remember times when the fear was great and seemed insurmountable. And there is always the possibility that it may return at any time. Maybe thousands upon thousands of cold calls stamp a lot of the fear out of a person.

Nowadays I personally encounter a general internal resistance that seems far more prevalent. This general resistance is like the inner 3-year-old who says, "I don't wanna!" digs in its heels, and tries to do everything to avoid moving forward.

It is petulance itself, annoyance, boredom, anger and frustration. It wants to complain, it wants to escape from work, it wants to avoid doing anything constructive.

It definitely doesn't want to be a bigger person or keep moving forward.

To me, this one can be very tough when dealing with certain activities. I feel like, as I continue on despite this, I am burrowing deeper and deeper into the heart of my own frustration and petulance.

The only answer I can come up with is to keep going and pay no attention to my emotions. At times it does feel like I've white-knuckled it, but I always come out on the other side.

I have also found it helpful to imagine being the bigger person who does the right thing because it is the right thing and having faith that all beneficial rewards will also come to me because of that.

This places me in a state where I am no longer frustrated that I have all of these things to do, and I can feel like I am not "put upon", but that I am really just an exceptional person who can handle a lot of work and take it all in stride.

That sets me up for success. What do you think of that?
Old July 10, 2017, 09:08 AM
kevo

Default Re: Overcoming your fear in business...

I think that stop carrying about emotions is a deal of mature people. It is sad but it is true in my opinion.