SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 19, 2023, 06:29 AM

Default Barter NOW More Than Ever

Recently news came out from the World Economic Forum which is m meeting in Switzerland right now that the Saudis will now accept all currencies for settling oil transactions.

Why should that concern us?

The foundation of the value of the dollar is the so-called Petrodollar status, in which the US agreed to protect the Saudi kingdom in exchange for the Saudis demanding US dollars for all oil transactions settlements.

This arrangement is now coming to an end.

Who knows what will happen next.

This may mean that our dollars won't be worth much too much longer. We can already see that prices are going up and up and up everywhere.

If you have skills that you can trade or items people want, this might be the time to start looking more into using barter for things you want. If things get bad what can you trade?

Besides things getting more expensive, we've seen what has happened to the supply chain. The time is now to develop deeper relationships with neighbors and business owners and see how you can help them.

What can you trade?

Just about anything. Jay Abraham told about the broke cruise line that just had one ship and the cruise line was so strapped for cash that they only painted one side of the ship and that side is what people saw. The cruise line traded cruises and then converted to cash.

Frankly, Jay Abraham trades his services for just about anything.

I used barter with a local meat company to get a boatload of meat. The meat company wanted to get more customers and make more sales. I created some ads and other marketing materials for them. As a result, we got a freezer full of meat as well as special cuts of meat to pick up for several months.

The key is to talk to folks and see what they want or need. When you can give it to them, you're in business.
Old January 19, 2023, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default What are the mechanics of barter?

How did you approach the meat company?

How did Jay contact his many barter deals? What is the mechanism? How is it done?

To just say TRY BARTER, without much HOW TO, leaves many scratching their heads.

There are resources, of course, and any Google will do to find them.

But how about a case study? How exactly did you barter with the meat company? I think that would be useful, don't you?

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Recently news came out from the World Economic Forum which is m meeting in Switzerland right now that the Saudis will now accept all currencies for settling oil transactions.

Why should that concern us?

The foundation of the value of the dollar is the so-called Petrodollar status, in which the US agreed to protect the Saudi kingdom in exchange for the Saudis demanding US dollars for all oil transactions settlements.

This arrangement is now coming to an end.

Who knows what will happen next.

This may mean that our dollars won't be worth much too much longer. We can already see that prices are going up and up and up everywhere.

If you have skills that you can trade or items people want, this might be the time to start looking more into using barter for things you want. If things get bad what can you trade?

Besides things getting more expensive, we've seen what has happened to the supply chain. The time is now to develop deeper relationships with neighbors and business owners and see how you can help them.

What can you trade?

Just about anything. Jay Abraham told about the broke cruise line that just had one ship and the cruise line was so strapped for cash that they only painted one side of the ship and that side is what people saw. The cruise line traded cruises and then converted to cash.

Frankly, Jay Abraham trades his services for just about anything.

I used barter with a local meat company to get a boatload of meat. The meat company wanted to get more customers and make more sales. I created some ads and other marketing materials for them. As a result, we got a freezer full of meat as well as special cuts of meat to pick up for several months.

The key is to talk to folks and see what they want or need. When you can give it to them, you're in business.
Old January 19, 2023, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Barter NOW More Than Ever

Gordon,

Finding this meat company was really by accident. I wasn't searching for a meat company or anyone at the time.

I saw a sign in front of his office (He really didn't have a store.. just a building) and thought I need to check this place out.

After going in and talking with the owner about what kinds of meats he offered, I suggested he do a few things to create more business.

The owner was so impressed that he wanted to have me help him build his business. We came to an agreement right there for a "boatload" of meat for me creating a few ads and auditing his business.

I think the take-away is that he and I got along personally... he wanted more business... I showed him that I knew what I was doing... and I asked him if he wanted my help.
Old January 20, 2023, 12:57 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks Millard for sharing your example!

Hi Millard,

Thanks for sharing your "bartering for meat" experience!

It makes sense... You can make more "sales" by being willing to barter your products and services with other businesses...

It's also good for them. The reason why is, for example, $100 "worth" of meat is worth $100 to you (assuming you're a meat eater)! But... it's only "worth" (say) $50 to them (or whatever their wholesale cost is)... So while you're getting the full value of the meat, they're getting an effective discount on your services (as it is like they are getting $100 of your services, for $50)...

We should all do it more! Though it's more complicated, because it involves a negotiation...

However, it's one of those things that could be ongoing... Negotiate once, and keep benefiting forever...

Thanks Millard!

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Gordon,

Finding this meat company was really by accident. I wasn't searching for a meat company or anyone at the time.

I saw a sign in front of his office (He really didn't have a store.. just a building) and thought I need to check this place out.

After going in and talking with the owner about what kinds of meats he offered, I suggested he do a few things to create more business.

The owner was so impressed that he wanted to have me help him build his business. We came to an agreement right there for a "boatload" of meat for me creating a few ads and auditing his business.

I think the take-away is that he and I got along personally... he wanted more business... I showed him that I knew what I was doing... and I asked him if he wanted my help.
Old January 20, 2023, 08:31 AM

Default Thanks !

Thanks Dien for your kind remarks.

Day to day bartering has been interesting for me to look at for a while.

I like trading !

However, what if you HAD to trade for day-to-day essentials?

I am in no ways a doom-and-gloom type of guy...

However, I found an interesting video about barter in a very tough situation:

https://www.brighteon.com/6821b9b6-8...1-adc45adbf2a5

Cheers,

Millard
Old January 23, 2023, 06:36 AM

Default One More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Millard,

Thanks for sharing your "bartering for meat" experience!

It makes sense... You can make more "sales" by being willing to barter your products and services with other businesses...

It's also good for them. The reason why is, for example, $100 "worth" of meat is worth $100 to you (assuming you're a meat eater)! But... it's only "worth" (say) $50 to them (or whatever their wholesale cost is)... So while you're getting the full value of the meat, they're getting an effective discount on your services (as it is like they are getting $100 of your services, for $50)...

We should all do it more! Though it's more complicated, because it involves a negotiation...

However, it's one of those things that could be ongoing... Negotiate once, and keep benefiting forever...

Thanks Millard!

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien,

I forgot a simple trade I made a few years ago that saved me a lot of work and sweat.

Once a week my lawn mower guy came by and mowed the grass. In my area depending on the size of the lawn fees are $20 to $40 dollars. After talking with him we decided that I would create an ad for him and he would mow our grass for a whole season. Let's just say he mowed our yard for 20 weeks.

It took me about a half hour to make the ad he received.

He was happy... I was happy.

Again trading for everything is possible.
Old March 21, 2023, 08:21 AM

Default Bartering for an Ipad

I have mentioned before my experience trying to barter for an iMac. Although I knew the local owner of the computer store which only sells Apple products, he did not want to trade my consulting services for a computer. He further mentioned that most of his customers were senior citizens.

In any case, I stopped looking to trade with a computer store owner directly and am targeting individuals directly now.

My goal is to trade my consulting for a nice iPad. I'm looking in marketplace in Facebook for iPads new in boxes near me and going to Macintosh forums and searching for iPads.

This is as much an experiment in bartering for me as is just enjoying the "hunt."

If anyone has done something similar, I'd enjoy hearing about it.
Old March 21, 2023, 03:04 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default It's a little different... the "gift economy"...

Hi Millard,

I haven't done much bartering, but I've participated in what they call the "gift economy"...

This is in some ways like bartering, but it's not really the same... It's essentially giving "gifts" to others... There's the expectation they may help you out down the line, but it doesn't always work out that way!

One case is where I helped a restaurant owner with his marketing, for free... I only did "once off" type of work for him, as I felt like it (not work that would require a continuous effort, because I didn't want to tie up my time). Mostly I created a basic (one page) website for him, and also wrote a few media releases and sent them out, and he got some great newspaper coverage. He had people traveling across town to visit his restaurant as a result of those newspaper articles!

In return, he did open up some business opportunities for me, which then led to further business opportunities and exciting business adventures... So it was both fun, and worth it!

Another case, which didn't quite work out, is where I offered to help a martial arts expert and expert in Chinese massage, with his business. I created a basic website for him for free - which listed all his awards and prizes, which were many! I later had a "frozen shoulder" and he managed to fix it over several massage sessions! But not for free... I was expecting he might give me a discount for his services, but no, I paid the full fee... He's very very good at what he does. But didn't "reciprocate" my "gifts"...!

So, that's the risk of the "gift economy!"

I still do it - when I have time (which I have less of now, with a small child) - partly because I enjoy helping people out...

Best wishes!

Dien

Quote:
I have mentioned before my experience trying to barter for an iMac. Although I knew the local owner of the computer store which only sells Apple products, he did not want to trade my consulting services for a computer. He further mentioned that most of his customers were senior citizens.

In any case, I stopped looking to trade with a computer store owner directly and am targeting individuals directly now.

My goal is to trade my consulting for a nice iPad. I'm looking in marketplace in Facebook for iPads new in boxes near me and going to Macintosh forums and searching for iPads.

This is as much an experiment in bartering for me as is just enjoying the "hunt."

If anyone has done something similar, I'd enjoy hearing about it.

Last edited by Dien Rice : March 21, 2023 at 03:20 PM.
Old March 22, 2023, 09:30 AM

Default Gift Economy

Thanks Dien!

You reminded me a lot about mindset with your post.

As we go about in our day-to-day business, giving a person a "hand up" or just giving of yourself is always a good way to help others. Sometimes folks don't realize help they are getting, others appreciate your efforts.

This is very much like what Glenn Osborn does with his leaving money here and there. It is a universal law.

It is not a matter of how much, but a matter of the heart. Do you have a heart to give? If so, you will have people giving to you right and left, over and over.

If you are a giver, you can say,"I am a giver, so people give to me. People all the time give me favors, give me money, give me special deals, give me preferred treatment. God's Goodness is chasing after me."

It makes a mighty difference with what you believe.
Old March 24, 2023, 05:29 PM

Default The Domino Effect using BARTER

Thanks Millard,

While Testing Steve Jobs Strategy (Elevator Energy) of Raising the Energy of
everyone around him in order to attract a ton of money - he told my client Randy
and me about.

I Discovered that WHEN you Raise the Energy of the waiter or waitress IN FRONT of a guest.

THAT GUEST PAYS YOU.

Example:

A Neighbor invited me to Lunch with a home owner Client of his.

I Thanked The Waitress.

Handed her a LOTTO ticket. Asked, How many cooks in the Kitchen today?"

Gave her 3 more.

Waitress Smiled and Hopped around.
Lots of Fast Service.

HUGE and I mean MASSIVE plates full of food.

Nancy - The affluent Home owner Twinkled her eyes at me over the table and
said, "Do you think all this food is cuz you BRIBED the waitress and cooks?"

I said, "ABSOLUTLEY.

She Insisted on Paying me 31 bucks for the Bottle of Cactus Juice I gave her. TOOK away most of her aches and pains in 15 minutes. (Pretty powerful to be able to do that.)

THEN.

Nancy Invites me to her home for lunch.

AND Gives me 3 Truckloads of Cut Apple wood.

Calls her neighbor - vacationing in FL. Gets Her to GIVE me 20 Truck Loads of Cut Oak Wood. (Maybe more. I am still moving it.)

WHILE
Carrying
Wood to
the Truck.

I chat with a 3rd neighbor. Say, "I see you have some wood left over after you cut that huge tree."

She laughs and says, "You want it. TAKE IT TAKE IT."

Two more Truck loads of Oak wood.

I Bartered a GIFT Bottle of Cactus Juice.
And
Got Nancy and her Husband Triple The Amount of food.

And Got Literally THOUSANDS of Dollars worth of wood. From 3 Different Home Owners.

Like falling DOMINOS.

Am heating my house NOW with that wood - as I type this.

Thanks,
Glenn

Here is a Photo. I split half a pickup truck load on my driveway.

To the right is my SOLAR LAMP and Solar oven.

I like to Cook while I cut Wood.

https://glennosborn.com/images/freew...psolaroven.jpg