SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 12, 2022, 11:00 AM

Default Barter and Christmas

With Christmas fast approaching I was wondering if anyone has used barter to trade for gift items. Of course, trading individually is something everyone can do.

I haven't hard of barter being used on the retail level much, but I am sure there are stories out there. From time to time, individuals in stores give me a heads up.

What I mean is, for example, an employee at a large store took me aside and told me that if I look at a certain place on an aisle shelf, from time to time, I would find some very real bargains.... sure enough it worked !

This trading might work if one uses a triangulation to get something for someone and then trade that for what you want.

Just looking for examples with smaller items.
Old December 12, 2022, 05:48 PM

Default How To Barter From Home By Phone

Thanks Millard,

In My Experience 98% of people will NOT do Barter Face to Face.

Here's How I Bartered To Get My Furnace Fixed SAME DAY.

Instead of a Week.

Receptionist at the Furnace Company had a Bad Cold.

(She Told me a week to Get the Parts - The Service Guy said he needed)

I Fed Ex'd her a 50.00 Bottle of SUPER SPINACH.

Copied And Emailed her the Receipt - or Order Form.

Emailed her.

Phoned her to Double Check And Give Her DIRECTIONS on how to Use The SUPER SPINACH to Get rid of her Flu.

She Personally Ordered my Part.

Must have Driven over and Got it.

Personally Handed it to the Repairman.

The Same (HOW DID YOU MOVE TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE?) Service Guy Showed up and Fixed my Furnace.

THE
NEXT
DAY.

Glenn
Old December 12, 2022, 05:56 PM

Default How to Barter From Home Using Email Alone

Thanks Millard,

Just sent 10 of My Ezine Subscribers this Email.

-----------
Thank You REWARD for Brad,

I find myself Reading this little book byJohn Cleese OVER and over.

Which I never do.

Stories and Anecdotes that Explain The UNexplainable.

VALUABLE.

https://www.amazon.com/Creativity-Sh...ps%2C75&sr=8-1

Glenn
-----------

Then I Sent a 2nd Email saying.

PLEASE Give Me Your Opinion on These 10 Headline Bullets.

Which one if #1 And What Specific Do you want to know.

Glenn

WITHOUT The Barter BRIBE I might Get 1 out of the 10

WITH IT.

All 10 Will Get Back to me.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old December 12, 2022, 06:19 PM

Default How We Bartered From Home for 5Grand

Thanks Millard,

Had a Big Wind here 90 days ago.

I stood at my Sliding porch Glass Door and Watched 4 - Three Foot Thick Pine Trees from my Neighbors yard SNAP off and Fall on my 2 foot Thick Hickory tree.

And 2 other Pines Blew over on My Holly Tree.

8 Trees Down Across My Driveway.

And my power Line Underneath the 4 Pines and Hickory nearest the Road.

I Phone My Electric Company.

Got a NICE Helpful Guy.

AMAZED!

I Got his Name and # so I could CONTACT him Again.

AND Got His Supervisors name and #.

Called and Said "Bruce is a GEM. He Deserves a New Car. Send Him on Vacation to The South of France. On and On."

Then Called Bruce Back and Shared The NICE things I said About him to his Manager.

BRUCE Then Started to WHISPER over the phone.

"Don't Tell Anybody I told You this. But A Tree Branch HAS to Be touching the Wire or NOBODY will Come out to Your House."

AFTER The 3 Stooges from The Electric Company - Cut and Patched and Put my Electric Wire Back Up.

There was Still a Big Limb Hanging over it.

And That BIG LIMB was Partly Cracked at the Tree Trunk. ABOUT To fall.

But Not Touching the Wire.

So.

I Got a Ladder.

And a Saw.

Partly Cut Thru the Tree Limb near the Trunk. (Smeared the Cut with Mud.) And Pulled the Leaves down until they were Touching my Electric Wire.

CALLED and Reported "Tree Limb Hanging over my power line. TOUCHING the Wire. If you don't Come out In Day time. It will Fall In The Middle of a SnowStorm and Cost You more.

They DID Not Trust me!

Sent one guy out in a Car.

He said, "YUP, The Wire is Touching". Sent for the whole CREW. Incredible amount of Work. Took them from 7 am to Dark Pm.

Here is a BEFORE and AFTER Photo.

Many TONS of Wood - All Cleared up for FREE.

All Because I Bartered a ***THANK YOU TO THE BOSS Phone Call*** - To Get SECRET INFO Nobody was Supposed to Know.

Took 6 Trucks 8 Hours to Cut, Chip, Haul away All The Trees.

Thanks,
Glenn

PHOTO #1 -http://glennosborn.com/images/bigwind/bigwind1.jpg

PHOTO #2 - http://glennosborn.com/images/abwdc1.jpg
Old December 14, 2022, 06:06 AM

Default Barter Urban Myth?

Thanks for the examples Glenn !

I appreciate it.

Got me to thinking. I seem to remember someone starting out with something very small and bartering his way to a house or a building. I know Jay Abraham has a number of examples of great barter deals. Jay's reports of the "Barter Baron" come to mind as well as all of Jay's stuff on joint ventures.

Earlier in the year, I contacted my local Apple computer dealer looking to make trade for a new iMac. Turns out the dealer wasn't interested in a trade and most of his customers were senior citizens. Did not make the trade but bought a Mac later in the year.

Which makes me think that Glenn's examples of barter via email, (or other electronic methods) may very well be the way to get two new iPads this Christmas without using cash.

BTW, testing out giving away the first week of my 26 week course for magicians and performers to see how the market has changed since I first produced it to see if I can barter some of my expertise for a few things. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old December 14, 2022, 01:45 PM

Default Re: How We Bartered From Home for 5Grand

Glenn,

I certainly appreciate your stories about barter.

Just the other day, I had a handyman come by our house and install 3 wall mounts to place our tvs for better watching. As the handyman went about his work, I talked with him about his business and questioned him about everything.

He was a friendly guy and answered almost every question with "I don't know" or "I didn't think about that."

The handyman decided that he needed to talk with me more about building his business and we agreed to chat further. He made a point that he was willing to trade services depending on the job.

In my experience, whenever I do a trade, I offer so much value that the trader feels stupid if they don't take me up on the offer. The key is to get the business owner to talk with you. I know you do this by sending a high impact package or special gift that you have researched about the prospect.

Now here comes the twist, when going to a networking meeting, what can you give that's so impactful, so powerful, so compelling, that the other attendees just have to talk with you?

If I am talking one-on-one with a business owner, I ask questions and when they ask me for advice I give them the VERY BEST advice I can give... if they don't respond to MY BEST, then they won't get excited about the routine things I want to improve.