SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 17, 2011, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Default THE number one reason for Failure and Success is:

I'll make this a statement of fact, however, it is just my opinion. You can make your own.

Success wears blinders.
Failure is over stimulated.

Success has a goal, a target and a plan to reach it.
Failure gets distracted.

Success makes the time to do what it needs to do.
Failure lets time slip away.

In the past two years I've had a big change of ideology, a change which came from working with many people one to one.

I have a formula (well known to SowPub regulars) which is:

Write a ONE page Hotsheet on what you want to do.
Write a FOUR page Whitepaper on how you think it is going to happen.
Write a TEN page Plan of Action which fully fleshes out the idea.

Then, when you have ten pages of well thought out strategy, plug your plan into a calendar, a ONE year goal with step by step detail which takes you to your goal.

KNOW and understand you have to make adjustments, BUT, you stay focused on the goal.

Last year I adjusted my coaching program and began a ONE year refund guarantee. I very clearly stated in my promotions, in my correspondence and on the phone with potential students that they would NOT receive a refund for one year (or in a few cases, 10 months on Dec. 24, 2011)

The reason I adjusted this refund guarantee was to try to find more committed people. People who understood that TIME is the key factor.

MOST people overestimate how much time they have to work on their part-time projects. MOST people struggle to get a 10 page thought out yplan. MOST people have difficulty doing a one year Plan Of Action and a step by step goal sheet.

I wrongfully thought it would eliminate a certain "type" of person, one who wants to start a project but doesn't follow through. I thought if they understood their money was going to be locked up for a year, they would stick with the project. WRONG...

I've had more than a few people ask for an EMERGENCY refund because something came up and they are cash strapped. I deal with them on a case by case basis. HOWEVER, it has been discouraging to work with people who give up, quit, get distracted and can't stay focused.

It goes back to Square One. Knowing what you want.

And WHY.

The process I use helps people identify this want. The hotsheet is easy to write. The White Paper isn't hard. But 10 pages of thinking about where you want to go and how you're going to get there...that makes a difference.

Then, when you use a White Board and build your ONE year Plan of Action...you can see the committment you are making to YOUR SELF.

NOT to me. You don't have to "please" me. You have to know what you want and why you are willing to work for it.

So, based upon my many years of experience, I believe that

Success knows what it wants and gets it.
Failure flounders.

Success has focus.
Failure has greener pastures.

Success overcomes problems, difficulties and situations.
Failure gives up.

Put your blinders on and your nose to the grindstone and pursue your dreams with your feet on the ground, your eyes on the target and your mind on success and don't see anything else.

Things may still come up, outside events happen. But do a little sensory deprivation, quit getting so much outside stimuli, shut off the world...and focus on the daily activity which builds your solid foundation and leads you down a path which has success as a daily outcome.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old June 17, 2011, 05:39 PM
Bob Blagg

Default Re: THE number one reason for Failure and Success is:

Gordon,

What you said is so true, that in order for me to stay on track to reaching my goals I am going to print it out and hang it by my computer where I can refer to it twice a day. Once when I first wake up and once just before I retire for the day.
Old June 17, 2011, 11:22 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The power of focus and the bugbear of distraction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I'll make this a statement of fact, however, it is just my opinion. You can make your own.

Success wears blinders.
Failure is over stimulated.

Success has a goal, a target and a plan to reach it.
Failure gets distracted.

Success makes the time to do what it needs to do.
Failure lets time slip away.

[...]

Success knows what it wants and gets it.
Failure flounders.

Success has focus.
Failure has greener pastures.

Success overcomes problems, difficulties and situations.
Failure gives up.

Put your blinders on and your nose to the grindstone and pursue your dreams with your feet on the ground, your eyes on the target and your mind on success and don't see anything else.

Things may still come up, outside events happen. But do a little sensory deprivation, quit getting so much outside stimuli, shut off the world...and focus on the daily activity which builds your solid foundation and leads you down a path which has success as a daily outcome.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Hi Gordon,

What you say is absolutely right!

Often it's hard to get away from all the distractions nowadays... (But not impossible!)

Think of all the distractions we have now, that they didn't have 100 years ago? Television, radio, movie cinemas, all kinds of electronic games, and so on... If you have a choice of watching your favorite TV show, or doing some needed work, which is easier to do?

I know a guy who would like to have more time to work on the business he's planning. However, one of his problems is that he doesn't even have a separate room in his house where he can "get away" to focus! He has two very young children. Imagine the constant distraction he'd be under at home, especially without a separate room he could escape to... I think it would be next-to-impossible to get anything done with his current setup.

(One guy solved this problem by getting an old caravan, and parking it in his back yard... and using it as his office! Not practical for everyone - but interesting to read about... Check it out here - http://jacquesmattheij.com/productiv...ily+distracted .)

Another, extremely successful person I know, told me that he never watches television. He loves working on his (extremely successful) business. Why should he waste his time watching TV - which is generally not productive - rather than work on his business? TV is the "pretend world" - you can "pretend" you're part of the lives of the characters on the screen. But why not work on your business, and create a wonderful "real world" to live in, instead?

Sometimes, even I find it's good to "get out" of the house and focus elsewhere - libraries, cafes, and so on. With modern technology (like laptops) that's not so hard to do now. And the battery life of some laptops is just getting better and better, so you can spend the whole day working without having to plug it in to the electricity. (I also have a setup so I can connect to the internet anywhere wirelessly.)

One great place I've found to work without distractions is... upscale hotel lobbies (particularly the cafe/bar section).

I spent a couple hours working at the lobby of the Hilton Hotel in my city last night, doing some writing. At other times, I've also worked in the lobbies of the local Westin, Sofitel, Hyatt, and Novotel hotels.

The great thing is, most upscale hotel lobbies are designed to be comfortable both for those who want to relax, as well as for "business guests" who want to do some work.

To emphasize... They are designed for work!

They're also often quieter than cafes.

I've found that the drinks can be a little expensive, but you can nurse a cup of coffee, hot chocolate, or glass of soft drink or juice for a while, and you don't feel out of place, since there are often others working on their laptops too. I've found these are the best places outside of home to work for me.

The cafe/bars of hotel lobbies are open to all - you don't have to be a staying guest at the hotel. Remember, these hotels also often host conferences, and conference attendees often work in the lobbies too.

There you go - that's one of my "secrets" to working out of home effectively... Find an upscale hotel lobby cafe/bar, and work there!

I got off topic, but... I think it's all relevant...

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : June 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old June 18, 2011, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Default Although that is my number one...there are other reasons for failure including:

Working with the wrong kind of people.
Attitude of Entitlement.
Stubborness.

First, the WRONG kind of people;

3 types. 1 is a doer who has fruit to show for his past efforts.
2 is a talker.
3 is a saboteur, often a self-saboteur who thrives on destruction.

Pick only number ones to work with. Any other choice is a bog down, quicksand way to failure.

Second thing, avoid people who expect you to do all the work. Some people have an attitude of "deserving" help or of expecting someone else to provide critical elements of their projects. These types get mad and angry when they don't receive the help they EXPECT.

Entitlement thinking is to be avoided at all costs.

And then stubborness.

Over the past 40 years I've encountered scores of people who want to do things their way, even after being exposed to a tested and proven way of doing things.

Many of the excuses one hears are: my business is different. My area is different. My way will be better.

So the FAILURE will continue to do things his way, perhaps for decades even, instead of walking the footpath to success other people have carved out.

MY opinion is lack of focus and commitment is number one...but any of these other three mistakes also produces massive failure.

Work with number ONES only.
No one OWES you anything.
Be willing to accept criticism and guidance and instruction without defending your habit of failure.

Keep these simple principles in front of you and be passionate and determined about your goals and success is likely to be on your daily path.

Gordon Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blagg View Post
Gordon,

What you said is so true, that in order for me to stay on track to reaching my goals I am going to print it out and hang it by my computer where I can refer to it twice a day. Once when I first wake up and once just before I retire for the day.
Old June 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
Work Satisfaction

Default Re: The power of focus and the bugbear of distraction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

What you say is absolutely right!

Often it's hard to get away from all the distractions nowadays... (But not impossible!)

Think of all the distractions we have now, that they didn't have 100 years ago? Television, radio, movie cinemas, all kinds of electronic games, and so on... If you have a choice of watching your favorite TV show, or doing some needed work, which is easier to do?

I know a guy who would like to have more time to work on the business he's planning. However, one of his problems is that he doesn't even have a separate room in his house where he can "get away" to focus! He has two very young children. Imagine the constant distraction he'd be under at home, especially without a separate room he could escape to... I think it would be next-to-impossible to get anything done with his current setup.

(One guy solved this problem by getting an old caravan, and parking it in his back yard... and using it as his office! Not practical for everyone - but interesting to read about... Check it out here -

Another, extremely successful person I know, told me that he never watches television. He loves working on his (extremely successful) business. Why should he waste his time watching TV - which is generally not productive - rather than work on his business? TV is the "pretend world" - you can "pretend" you're part of the lives of the characters on the screen. But why not work on your business, and create a wonderful "real world" to live in, instead?

Sometimes, even I find it's good to "get out" of the house and focus elsewhere - libraries, cafes, and so on. With modern technology (like laptops) that's not so hard to do now. And the battery life of some laptops is just getting better and better, so you can spend the whole day working without having to plug it in to the electricity. (I also have a setup so I can connect to the internet anywhere wirelessly.)

One great place I've found to work without distractions is... upscale hotel lobbies (particularly the cafe/bar section).

I spent a couple hours working at the lobby of the Hilton Hotel in my city last night, doing some writing. At other times, I've also worked in the lobbies of the local Westin, Sofitel, Hyatt, and Novotel hotels.

The great thing is, most upscale hotel lobbies are designed to be comfortable both for those who want to relax, as well as for "business guests" who want to do some work.

To emphasize... They are designed for work!

They're also often quieter than cafes.

I've found that the drinks can be a little expensive, but you can nurse a cup of coffee, hot chocolate, or glass of soft drink or juice for a while, and you don't feel out of place, since there are often others working on their laptops too. I've found these are the best places outside of home to work for me.

The cafe/bars of hotel lobbies are open to all - you don't have to be a staying guest at the hotel. Remember, these hotels also often host conferences, and conference attendees often work in the lobbies too.

There you go - that's one of my "secrets" to working out of home effectively... Find an upscale hotel lobby cafe/bar, and work there!

I got off topic, but... I think it's all relevant...

Best wishes,

Dien

I have to agree that a plan which has not been broken down into manageable tasks for one to focus on each and everyday is often lacking in substance.

Many individuals feel that by making the 'broad strokes' the finer details will automatically fall into place once the process is started. Sadly this is hardly ever the case. Many are then disillusioned and look for someone or something to blame for their failure.

I have read a very true proverb which I carry with me daily: 'Those who fail to plan, plan to fail'. We alone have a choice whether we will put a plan in place to realise our dreams or whether we will sit back and hope for the best. Those who have truly worked hard at any goal can tell you that not putting in enough effort and not planning effectively rarely ends well.

Most successes can only be achieved through hard work and careful planning on your part (inheritances are often exempt here). I truly believe that if one is passionate about what you do, it is far easier to put in the effort and make the daily sacrifices in order to realise your dream and make a success of the process.

I do have to admit that I sometimes have the opportunity to accompany my husband to his work-place which happens to be at a hotel. It is indeed wonderful to change your working environment or basic routine on occassion. On the days that I am priviledged enough to work in the guest lounge, I find that my mind often opens to new ideas which were not there before. I'm not sure if it is due to the amazing coffee that they serve or their general hospitality but I do indeed look forward to these trips!

One last note is maybe just to say that it is crucial to take at least one day a week off to rest and relax from achieving your goal. I often find that after having removed myself from my pc for a day on a sunday, my mind is fresher and I find it easier to pick up where I left off on the saturday.
Old June 30, 2011, 03:58 AM
-TW

Default Being focused is vital -- but...

keep in mind, it is also quite possible to be 100% focused on something that will send you right down the tubes.

meaning, just because you're focused on something, doesn't mean it's gonna be successful.

if you don't focus, you will probably not be successful. but being focused does not guarantee success, either!

analogy: It is quite possible to set up an entire biz empire -- with all your ducks PERFECTLY in a row, all "nice-nice" -- then have everything be a failure, cuz you have no customers!! Just ask Krispy Kreme. Lots of focus -- no transactions.

[EDIT re: Krispy Kreme]...
I was writing that KK stuff based on this notion:
Krispy Kreme was founded in 1937, by the late '90s the Krispy Kreme doughnut had become a cultural icon complete with its own featured role in a 2002 episode of Sex and the City. Before long, however, Krispy Kreme's pell-mell expansion caught up with it (that's the FOCUS I was talking about), and by 2005 the company's board sent its CEO and several executives packing amid an accounting scandal. The stock tanked, the company was forced to close half its 390 stores, and 14 quarters of losses followed.

>>> But apparently KK is now on an upswing. Go figure.

Last edited by -TW : June 30, 2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old July 6, 2011, 08:22 AM
Work Satisfaction

Default Re: THE number one reason for Failure and Success is:

That is indeed true but that is why it is also so important to break an entire process up into manageable steps which can be performed and evaluated in order for necessary adjustments to be made to ensure that one ultimately does move in the direction of success.

Many processes are not fool-proof and one has to evaluate how close you truly are to achieving your ultimate goal of success with every action that is taken towards that goal.

Ignoring the signs that your elaborate plan is not going to help you achieve the ultimate goal would be foolish for anyone. It is therefore crucial to seek solutions to the obstacles as you go along in order to get yourself back on track or moving in the direction of your ultimate goal & rewards.