SOWPub Small Business Forums  
 

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

 

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 15, 2021, 08:00 AM
Millard Grubb Millard Grubb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 190
Default People Watching and Imagined Lives

I've been noticing something lately on Youtube.

Many of the top Youtube channels are simply people doing what interests them.

The channel "KaraandNate" just follows a couple as they travel around the world and visit 100 countries. (They finished their world trip and are now going around the US in a travel van.)

Joshua Weissman has a channel where he takes popular food dishes and makes them better.... even candy bars... step-by-step.

Two top bakers....BiggerBolderBaking and SallysBakingAddiction have successful channels.

The success of the Youtube channels often leads to a website where a book is sold.

There is even a channel that tracks interesting aircraft...

This list goes on and on.

Of course, there are a number of people who have written about how to have a successful Youtube channel... Yet, even the day-to-day things we do can be popular, if you have a hook. SomersinAlaska is good example of this.

This might be something to look into if something you do everyday would interest anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 15, 2021, 07:31 PM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is offline
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,014
Default Doing video...

Hi Millard,

I've thought (a little bit) about doing a YouTube channel...

When you look at those who succeed, they upload regularly, generally at least once a week (and usually more)...

I've read that the YouTube algorithm "rewards" those who put up videos regularly by promoting their videos more...

If you just put up videos every now and then, from what I've read, YouTube won't promote your videos as much...

I think there is opportunity there, but it takes consistency and time...

I think it also helps to be on the lookout for new social media... If you're early, and it explodes, your views will explode along with it! (That's how a lot of people got big through Tiktok...)

Now, if it enables you to "live the life" you want (like a lot of these travel YouTubers), then I'm sure it's well worth it!

I am "inching" towards doing video... But I may not show up on camera...

I kind of like this "drawing" method of doing a video... (This one is a very successful VSL - video sales letter...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8beh6KowA8A

There's software you can use to make a drawing "gradually" appear... Sometimes they call it whiteboard animation software, or doodle video software...

Here's a video with an example of how it works using the software...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AStIrgV3GC4

(I already "splurged" and got software that will do this, but I haven't used it yet!)

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
I've been noticing something lately on Youtube.

Many of the top Youtube channels are simply people doing what interests them.

The channel "KaraandNate" just follows a couple as they travel around the world and visit 100 countries. (They finished their world trip and are now going around the US in a travel van.)

Joshua Weissman has a channel where he takes popular food dishes and makes them better.... even candy bars... step-by-step.

Two top bakers....BiggerBolderBaking and SallysBakingAddiction have successful channels.

The success of the Youtube channels often leads to a website where a book is sold.

There is even a channel that tracks interesting aircraft...

This list goes on and on.

Of course, there are a number of people who have written about how to have a successful Youtube channel... Yet, even the day-to-day things we do can be popular, if you have a hook. SomersinAlaska is good example of this.

This might be something to look into if something you do everyday would interest anyone.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 16, 2021, 07:11 AM
Millard Grubb Millard Grubb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 190
Default Re: Doing video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Millard,

I've thought (a little bit) about doing a YouTube channel...

When you look at those who succeed, they upload regularly, generally at least once a week (and usually more)...

I've read that the YouTube algorithm "rewards" those who put up videos regularly by promoting their videos more...

If you just put up videos every now and then, from what I've read, YouTube won't promote your videos as much...

I think there is opportunity there, but it takes consistency and time...

I think it also helps to be on the lookout for new social media... If you're early, and it explodes, your views will explode along with it! (That's how a lot of people got big through Tiktok...)

Now, if it enables you to "live the life" you want (like a lot of these travel YouTubers), then I'm sure it's well worth it!

I am "inching" towards doing video... But I may not show up on camera...

I kind of like this "drawing" method of doing a video... (This one is a very successful VSL - video sales letter...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8beh6KowA8A

There's software you can use to make a drawing "gradually" appear... Sometimes they call it whiteboard animation software, or doodle video software...

Here's a video with an example of how it works using the software...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AStIrgV3GC4

(I already "splurged" and got software that will do this, but I haven't used it yet!)

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien,

I agree that it takes time and consistency to have a successful Youtube channel. In the example I stated with Kara and Nate, they saved for a year and planned their travels. Taking the $30,000 they saved, they traveled the world and planned for a year long trip. The trip actually took 4 years, and they made quite a bit a money from Youtube from what I see in views. Kara and Nate are now going across the US with sponsors on their channel.

Your links to the videos of drawing explanations could help making the videos easier. But as you said, it's gonna take time.

One thing I see consistently, is videos of cooking, recipes, and the like. (We gotta eat, don't we?)

Find a niche or take the time to build one. At least, if you build a video channel, it is something you can do from home, in your study or office (or kitchen) and not have to slog to a job if you are successful.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 19, 2021, 03:19 PM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is offline
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,014
Default Our idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Dien,

I agree that it takes time and consistency to have a successful Youtube channel. In the example I stated with Kara and Nate, they saved for a year and planned their travels. Taking the $30,000 they saved, they traveled the world and planned for a year long trip. The trip actually took 4 years, and they made quite a bit a money from Youtube from what I see in views. Kara and Nate are now going across the US with sponsors on their channel.

Your links to the videos of drawing explanations could help making the videos easier. But as you said, it's gonna take time.

One thing I see consistently, is videos of cooking, recipes, and the like. (We gotta eat, don't we?)

Find a niche or take the time to build one. At least, if you build a video channel, it is something you can do from home, in your study or office (or kitchen) and not have to slog to a job if you are successful.
Thanks Millard!

My wife and I had the idea a few years ago to do a "cooking" channel on YouTube...

She's a great chef! But...

There seem to be more "disasters" than average around her in the kitchen (in terms of fire alarms going off, dishes going up in smoke, etc.)...

The idea was to do a "cooking" show, where she would show how to cook a dish...

But, every "episode," a disaster would happen!

I think it would be funny if, even after the disaster, the dish turns out perfect!

Anyway... It was a fun idea... But it would also be a lot of work...

It would be like making your own TV series...

Best wishes,

Dien
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 19, 2021, 04:34 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,047
Default Fold in the cheese.

I love it.

Thought you might enjoy this:
https://youtu.be/fCVKCUB5w50

One of these days, (which means never), I'll start my own cooking channel, maybe calling it HOW TO FOLD IN THE CHEESE. ha!

Gordon


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Thanks Millard!

My wife and I had the idea a few years ago to do a "cooking" channel on YouTube...

She's a great chef! But...

There seem to be more "disasters" than average around her in the kitchen (in terms of fire alarms going off, dishes going up in smoke, etc.)...

The idea was to do a "cooking" show, where she would show how to cook a dish...

But, every "episode," a disaster would happen!

I think it would be funny if, even after the disaster, the dish turns out perfect!

Anyway... It was a fun idea... But it would also be a lot of work...

It would be like making your own TV series...

Best wishes,

Dien
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 20, 2021, 03:46 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is offline
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,014
Default That was very funny! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I love it.

Thought you might enjoy this:
https://youtu.be/fCVKCUB5w50

One of these days, (which means never), I'll start my own cooking channel, maybe calling it HOW TO FOLD IN THE CHEESE. ha!
Thanks Gordon,

I loved it... I thought that was very funny!

Thanks for sharing...

Best wishes!

Dien
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 21, 2021, 01:38 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,047
Default Just don't cut off your finger, like I did, that is a real disaster.

Do me a favor Dien,

PLEASE for god's sake, don't show people how to chop up vegetables.

If I did a cooking show, first thing I would say is GO AWAY if you don't know how to cut up a carrot, or celery or a potato or onion.

GO AWAY. When you take all the chopping on YouTube, a 5 minute recipe can be covered in about 2 mins.

My belief, opinion and bias is...if you don't know how to cut a carrot, you've got no business trying to do anything in the kitchen, get out now.

I did start a cookbook eons ago, ALEXANDER'S GREAT SOUPS, STEWS AND SAUCES...and if I were to channel that on youtube, there would be NO chopping of anything...come back after you have cut your finger off.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Thanks Millard!

My wife and I had the idea a few years ago to do a "cooking" channel on YouTube...

She's a great chef! But...

There seem to be more "disasters" than average around her in the kitchen (in terms of fire alarms going off, dishes going up in smoke, etc.)...

The idea was to do a "cooking" show, where she would show how to cook a dish...

But, every "episode," a disaster would happen!

I think it would be funny if, even after the disaster, the dish turns out perfect!

Anyway... It was a fun idea... But it would also be a lot of work...

It would be like making your own TV series...

Best wishes,

Dien
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 21, 2021, 02:58 PM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is offline
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,014
Default The great peeling debate!

When I was growing up, I noticed a great family rift... that started in the kitchen!

When peeling, for example, apples using a knife, my paternal grandmother (my father's mother) always peeled TOWARDS herself...

Whereas my mother, always peeled AWAY from herself...

This caused a lot of tension between my mother and her mother-in-law!

(I think my Dad stayed diplomatically out of it...)

My grandmother insisted peeling TOWARDS yourself is the right way!

But my Mom was equally insistent that peeling AWAY from yourself is the right way!

Things like this could be the start of World War III...

Best wishes!

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Do me a favor Dien,

PLEASE for god's sake, don't show people how to chop up vegetables.

If I did a cooking show, first thing I would say is GO AWAY if you don't know how to cut up a carrot, or celery or a potato or onion.

GO AWAY. When you take all the chopping on YouTube, a 5 minute recipe can be covered in about 2 mins.

My belief, opinion and bias is...if you don't know how to cut a carrot, you've got no business trying to do anything in the kitchen, get out now.

I did start a cookbook eons ago, ALEXANDER'S GREAT SOUPS, STEWS AND SAUCES...and if I were to channel that on youtube, there would be NO chopping of anything...come back after you have cut your finger off.

Gordon
__________________

Last edited by Dien Rice : November 21, 2021 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 21, 2021, 09:30 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,047
Default As long as I don't have to see it, one way or the other.

I'm making a lot of soups this week...and watching videos, for example, of a lentil soup, searching for some variation...and there they are, in all of them...people cutting carrots up or whatever.

I'm sure it is just me. But why not start with "add your cut up vegies", and not show me how a knife works. I think your dad was a smart guy to not get in the middle of that kitchen nightmare, even Gordy Ramsey would run.

G.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
When I was growing up, I noticed a great family rift... that started in the kitchen!

When peeling, for example, apples using a knife, my paternal grandmother (my father's mother) always peeled TOWARDS herself...

Whereas my mother, always peeled AWAY from herself...

This caused a lot of tension between my mother and her mother-in-law!

(I think my Dad stayed diplomatically out of it...)

My grandmother insisted peeling TOWARDS yourself is the right way!

But my Mom was equally insistent that peeling AWAY from yourself is the right way!

Things like this could be the start of World War III...

Best wishes!

Dien
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 22, 2021, 08:16 AM
Millard Grubb Millard Grubb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 190
Default Re: As long as I don't have to see it, one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I'm making a lot of soups this week...and watching videos, for example, of a lentil soup, searching for some variation...and there they are, in all of them...people cutting carrots up or whatever.

I'm sure it is just me. But why not start with "add your cut up vegies", and not show me how a knife works. I think your dad was a smart guy to not get in the middle of that kitchen nightmare, even Gordy Ramsey would run.

G.

Seems like everyone is getting into cooking.

A well-known tv commentator has taken up the cooking mantle in a youtube channel called "Jenny Can Cook".

Here is a link to one of her recipes...

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?eve...loaf-recipe%2F
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Other recent posts on the forum...


Seeds of Wisdom Publishing (front page) | Seeds of Wisdom Business forum | Seeds of Wisdom Original Business Forum (Archive) | Hidden Unusual Business Ideas Newsletter | Hotsheet Profits | The Art of Leverage | The Success Report | Persuade via Remote Influence | Affia Band | The Entrepreneur's Hotsheet | The SeedZine (Entrepreneurial Ezine) | The Fly Low Collect Dough Update Hotline

Get the report on Harvey Brody's Answers to a Question-Oriented-Person


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.