SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 14, 2015, 09:27 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default "Ideas are the real currency of the universe. Money is the shadow of that."

This is from further down the forum, on writing 10 ideas a day...

So why a new post? So people don't miss it!

You can read my earlier post on this here...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34841

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
For each of those lists, I got to about 5 or 6 easily and was stumped. Then the creativity kicked in.

I'm going to explore this notion of ideas being used as currency.

Thanks for mentioning his site.
Hi Tommy,

(Click on the blue arrow next to "TommyBoy" above to see his post that I'm replying to.)

Writing down 10 ideas a day (on a single topic)?

That happens often to me too! Often, the first 3, 4, or 5 ideas are easy... Then it can sometimes get challenging!

I've had the experience where I've gotten to no. 9... and have really had to struggle to come up with idea no. 10 !

(People probably don't believe this, until they try it themselves. And I pride myself on being quite a creative person!)

I sometimes put the list aside once I've written down the "easy" ones, then come back to it later in the day. However, it does get your "idea muscle" working... Which can only be good for you, can't it?

Here is a great post where James Altucher expands on using ideas as currency... As far as I know, this article is only available on Facebook. However, I don't think you have to be logged in to Facebook to see it.

10 IDEAS TO MAKE MONEY WITH YOUR 10 IDEAS A DAY
http://www.facebook.com/james.altuch...52602951935636

The headline I used for this post is a quote from the article... "Ideas are the real currency of the universe. Money is the shadow of that."

If anyone else starts doing this, maybe we could set up something so we could share our experiences?

Any interest in that?

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 14, 2015, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Default Steal baby steal.

I had the idea you would enjoy this:

http://www.mindpowernews.com/StealAndGetRich.htm

1 down, 9 to go.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
This is from further down the forum, on writing 10 ideas a day...

So why a new post? So people don't miss it!

You can read my earlier post on this here...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34841

Hi Tommy,

(Click on the blue arrow next to "TommyBoy" above to see his post that I'm replying to.)

Writing down 10 ideas a day (on a single topic)?

That happens often to me too! Often, the first 3, 4, or 5 ideas are easy... Then it can sometimes get challenging!

I've had the experience where I've gotten to no. 9... and have really had to struggle to come up with idea no. 10 !

(People probably don't believe this, until they try it themselves. And I pride myself on being quite a creative person!)

I sometimes put the list aside once I've written down the "easy" ones, then come back to it later in the day. However, it does get your "idea muscle" working... Which can only be good for you, can't it?

Here is a great post where James Altucher expands on using ideas as currency... As far as I know, this article is only available on Facebook. However, I don't think you have to be logged in to Facebook to see it.

10 IDEAS TO MAKE MONEY WITH YOUR 10 IDEAS A DAY
http://www.facebook.com/james.altuch...52602951935636

The headline I used for this post is a quote from the article... "Ideas are the real currency of the universe. Money is the shadow of that."

If anyone else starts doing this, maybe we could set up something so we could share our experiences?

Any interest in that?

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 16, 2015, 09:29 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How to get new ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I had the idea you would enjoy this:

http://www.mindpowernews.com/StealAndGetRich.htm

1 down, 9 to go.

Gordon
Hi Gordon,

Well... I agree... It's said that original ideas don't really exist!

My old Ph.D. advisor was a bit of a "renaissance man"... Not only was he a professor in physics... He also had a psychology practice on weekends. In his younger days, he was in a band, and they even had a single!

Anyway, he once told me that there's an easy way to get new ideas... You just take one idea, put it together with another idea, and Bam! A new idea!

* Cassette player + miniaturization = Walkman

* TV + online streaming = Netflix

* Hat + toilet paper = this invention!

Okay... maybe it doesn't always work well...

Another way is to take one process from one industry, and apply it to another industry...

For example: assembly line (from the car industry) + food = McDonald's!

So... I think there's something to it!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 18, 2015, 08:58 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How George Lucas "stole" to create Star Wars!

Hi Gordon,

On "steal baby steal"...

What's the latest "buzz" about? The just-released trailer for the upcoming new Star Wars film!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Teaser #2

And... I just read about how George Lucas "stole" quite a lot from Akira Kurosawa's samurai films - to create Star Wars!

(Akira Kurosawa is probably best known for his film "The Seven Samurai," which also happened to inspire "The Magnificent Seven.")

And Kurosawa himself stole too! He was heavily influenced by... Hollywood Westerns!

It's fascinating... I recommend this short film about it on YouTube...

How are Samurai Films Responsible for Star Wars?!? - Film School'd

Where did the word "Jedi" come from? It turns out that even the word "Jedi" apparently comes from the Japanese term "Jidai Geki" - which means "period films," the genre which describes Akira Kurosawa's movies...

More...

How Star Wars Borrowed From Akira Kurosawa’s Great Samurai Films
http://www.openculture.com/2014/05/h...rai-films.html

So... it certainly comes from a strong tradition!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 18, 2015, 10:17 PM
Don Alm

Default Re: How to get new ideas...

I've been told by many fellow entroopenners that many of the innovations in Video, DVDs, software and digital electronics were created by people in the "****" industry who were motivated by "Big Money" with ****......and probably still is.

Don Alm
Old April 19, 2015, 07:46 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default You could be right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
I've been told by many fellow entroopenners that many of the innovations in Video, DVDs, software and digital electronics were created by people in the "****" industry who were motivated by "Big Money" with ****......and probably still is.
Hi Don,

I don't like the industry... But sometimes we don't get to choose the facts...

Here's an article I found about that topic...

http://colettesymanowitz.com/2014/01...et-innovation/

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 22, 2015, 03:16 PM
TommyBoy

Default Re: How to get new ideas...

Since you started this thread I've created a number of "10" idea lists, at least one list for every day, and sometimes 2 or 3. As always, it's been the easy 5 or 6 and the not-so-easy remaining ones.

One day I had "10 Reasons to pick up that scrap of paper in the hallway of my apartment complex." Not really ground-breaking or earth shattering ideas necessarily, but later in the day I found myself picking up a scrap piece of paper that was laying in the hallway because of one of the reasons I wrote down: "because no one else will". I couldn't be a hypocrite and not pick it up!

I actually have to create a list of 100 topics so that I don't have to spend time wondering what I'll write about today...

Here were some of my topics:
10 Reasons to Enjoy a Dreary Day
10 Reasons You should walk to the Store at Night
10 Reasons to Work from Home
10 Reasons NOT to Work from Home
10 Ways Businesses Can Get More Customers

With that last one I actually emailed some local businesses with five of those reasons. I didn't just write a bullet sentence, but a small paragraph about the bullet. No responses and I really don't even know if anybody opened them up.

All in all, it's a good mind exercise.