SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 24, 2018, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Here's a biz for someone, maybe.

Tony is booked solid today, says he has 10 jobs scheduled, at 75 bux a pop.

He is the cheapest guy in the area for what he does. Next guy is at 95 dollars, most at 150 or more.

In fact, here is the cheapest guy next to TONY.
http://www.hydroflowservices.com/rooter-service.html

See in the upper right corner the 95 bux.

Drain cleaning. BIG BUSINESS. Tony specializes in snaking out sinks, tubs, mostly homes. He brings in a hand held electric snake. Google images to see, around 250-300 bux. He has a couple of screw drivers in his back pocket, and one heavy duty glove for his left hand.

Did my sink, tub. Walked out 15 mins. later, 150 bux cash in hand. I'm very happy, most of those guys were unavailable, wanted me to call back in a coupld of days, REALLY? Tomorrow? For my drains.

Tony looks to be around 50, smallish side, 5'7" slender.

I bet I could buy a 300 dollar snake and have it paid for in one day. Probably with 3 jobs.

Now, is Tony a plumber? Don't know, don't care. Didn't ask to see his license, didn't ask for receipt, was HAPPY to pay him the cash because he came and did the job, sinks are draining fine.

He is a drain cleaner. If his snake doesn't do the job, and he says he knows in a minute or two, he tells them they need a plumber, has a referral card to one with a discount on it, charges nothing and goes to next job.

He does ONE thing, and if you need your drain cleaned, he'll show up ASAP, and you pay him.

Sometimes I'm amazed at how simple things can be. I hope he has insurance, or a business license, he did look at the pipes before he started, I imagine a pipe sometimes breaks with a snake in it.

Anyhow, I was a happy consumer, and I think Tony is probably flying under the radar and providing a much in demand service. And his plumber buddy is happy to take the referrals for the jobs Tony knows are out of his league.

KISS. Works for me, like my drains.

GordonJ

Last edited by GordonJ : January 24, 2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old February 1, 2018, 02:39 PM
TommyBoy

Default Re: Here's a biz for someone, maybe.

It is an interesting little gig, isn't it?

I'm sure I'd overthink it and worry about not having a license, and then the unions would be after me and I'd get my legs broken by guys named Sal and Guido.

Just curious, though, how'd you find Tony? Was he advertising somewhere even though he was flying low?

This also has may related applications: painting, carpet cleaning, electric, yard work.

I recall working at a condo building in Chicago and my buddy was raking in the dough regularly installing track lighting and other miscellaneous tasks in condo units.

Thanks for another great post.
Old February 1, 2018, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Default He was on my fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
It is an interesting little gig, isn't it?

I'm sure I'd overthink it and worry about not having a license, and then the unions would be after me and I'd get my legs broken by guys named Sal and Guido.

Just curious, though, how'd you find Tony? Was he advertising somewhere even though he was flying low?

This also has may related applications: painting, carpet cleaning, electric, yard work.

I recall working at a condo building in Chicago and my buddy was raking in the dough regularly installing track lighting and other miscellaneous tasks in condo units.

Thanks for another great post.

I don't know if he was licensed or not. Didn't ask, didn't care. His name was on a list of about 50 local businesses on a magnetic calendar someone gave me a couple of years ago. Cut off the calendar, left the numbers up.

I do remember renting one of those big snakes on wheels from a local tool rental company, cost me about 60 bux.

Maybe you could rent the snake out and show up to deliver it and supervise, or just do it, just have a rental contract with no liabilty, same as what they would sign if they went to the tool shed themselves.

Here is the web address, guy has been in same location for decades.
http://www.fallstoolrental.com/plumbing.html

Here is the online policies page:
http://www.fallstoolrental.com/policies.html

I don't know where you live, but those days of Union worry died with either Jimmy Hoffa or Dorothy Killgallen.

I always advise a biz license and insurance, no matter what. Often, a rider might be available to your home owners, or a seperate liability insurance but, like the rental company, once it leaves their shop, it's my fault if anything happens.

Maybe, if someone has a lot of tools, maybe they could rent them out?

GordonJ

PS. No license required to chattel tools, for a person concerned about rules, regs, licenses and hit men, CHATTELING would appear to be ideal, eh?