SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 17, 2017, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Default Shutting down the Wankel, soon, it will be 2018.

http://www.animatedengines.com/wankel.html

This link shows an animated Wankel engine, a powerful, albeit dirty engine which was revolutionary. I've used it for years as a metaphor for multi-taksing.

On this rendering, you see the spark plug on the bottom left, imagine if that were a a little nail, and there were dozens of these around the cylinder...every rotation of the cam would push the nails up, or if attached to a cam shaft, could turn several things.

Anyhow, that is my personal time management and multi-tasking tool. To keep going around and around hitting the nails and letting that action spur other action.

In less cryptic terms; I like doing a lot of different things and working with lots of people at the same time, keeps life interesting. There is a discipline to this type of multi-tasking and sometimes I get undisciplined and the plate overflows.

Currently, I have the following projects going on:

Lottery, 4 people doing Pick 3 charts in their states, a few doing the Pick 5, 5 out of 39-43, in Ohio, this is the Rolling Cash 5. This in addition to running my local lottery club and still sending out forecasts to the remnants of the old lottery club.

Mailorder, I'm working with one "old timer" in the mail order business and he's running tests, my part looks to be reviving and creating new HOTSHEETS for the programs. Without spilling the beans, a good program, has different tiers to it, a low cost entry, a middle cost upsell and either a big ticket item or ongoing membership site.

Although I have a lot of experience in mail order, I am deferring to the expert who knows this current field better than I do. Also some good strategy, for those seeking Joint Ventures.

Locally, I'm working with "Dan the Man" chatteler, who has specialized in used restaurant equipment. He is doing great, but he is a hustler. Also, a few piddlers who took my workshop. And I'm working with several people to help them develop their own workshops and courses too.

I know a lot of you and other IMers want those big thousand dollar Tony Robbins type seminars, but, man those things are one man band nightmares, better for us fly low types to make our 200 bux for a Sat. morning and be done with it, except for the follow up.

My kids and I are working on our content, which we will be pitching in March 2018 in NYC. I'll be there March 16-20, so after the weekend, if anyone wants to meet up, let me know.

I have a friend who has almost perfected the Postcard advertising method, and although he has had a lot of success with various ad campaigns, I'm unwilling to do the grind it takes to make that happen....but, his latest thing is a one day deal, minimum effort, maximum profit, something I can and will do only because it doesn't take any time. Or small amounts of it.

I'm finishing up the AUTOMATIC PRODUCT VENDING sites and also the coaching programs. As for my students, many have run into this:

LIFE HAPPENS. (for a few, ****e) New jobs, illness, family emergencies, etc. But they have some solid ideas, if they get a chance or make time, to act on their ideas.

I have slowed the Wankel down this past year, refocusing on CONTENT development for what I see as the BEAST of TV, Entertainment where there is more money than they know what to do with...and it fits in with our goals.

My participation here has been minimal these last few months and become less and less...up to March, and then I'll just peek in and see what is going on.

I'm going to share some lessons from the last 20 years of online activity, and maybe make a few offers, but we'll see.

Multi-tasking or having a lot of interests, CAN get one stretched too thin, and at times the projects don't get the attention they deserve. But working with you and through you and doing Joint Ventures is a great way to do business, spread your risk around, have multiple streams of income and keeps things interesting too.

In my follow up post, I'll discuss some of the important lessons I've learned too.

I haven't mentioned everything I'm doing, and the only reason I keep my fingers in so many pies is because I have some very good associates and/or partners like Dien Rice who work far harder than I do and make my lifestyle so much easier to maintain.

Do you have any questions?

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old November 17, 2017, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Default Lesson 1, Pareto principle, and MMO. Off the rack doesn't fit most.

You've heard of the 80/20 principle, it is not a Law, or a fact or a RULE. It is an idea, a concept, a principle.

My very generous and conservative estimate is 80% of all people who invest in Make Money Opportunities FAIL to make any money.

My 50 years of unscientific anecdotal experience says, more like 94 out of 100 fail, and include MLM, Network starts, and WSO type IM things, and it exceeds 99 of 100.

But at 94...of the over 300 Headlight Cleaning manuals Bud Riggs sold for 97 bux, I can't think of 18 people who actually made any money doing it, and of those, I know of no one still at it. Just one tiny example.

WHY? Why do so many fail? It sometimes is because of the opportunity, but as often as not, it is because the Opportunity is A POOR match to the buyer.

It is an ill fitting off the rack suit, when the person needs something custom tailored to meet their needs.

One size does not fit all. And this goes across the board, to almost every money making opportunity there is. Why do some guys, like the Flea Market Flipper do so well with chatteling, while most don't even get started?

Because it suits him and his wife. If you have a spouse who is opposed to the MMO, you are probably doomed from the start.

Buying and selling is the fastest and easiest money making opportunity there is, but it probably doesn't suit 94 of 100 because of the people contact.

Recently I've been playing around with a few tools.

A combo of aptitude testing and personality testing to see what sort of a Money Making Opportunity suits a person. It isn't perfected, but here are two of the elements you can test for yourself:

https://www.whatcareerisrightforme.c...itude-test.php

and

https://www.careerfitter.com/free_test/careerbuilder

Quick and easy, free, and takes about 10 mins for both, go give em a try, just 2 of a dozen things...see how accurate they are, or not.

Now, I add in Natal Chart and first 12 years of living, where did you spend your childhood, and what does your chart tell you if anything?

One thing I've learned over the decades, too many people SAY things they don't really mean, when it comes to answering Q. 1- What do you want? They answer in concepts, like financial freedom and very few can say what they want.

I use the Harvey Brody VIEW FROM THE ROOFTOP, to look at one year down the road, to see what all five paths look like, but I always begin with MONEY because it is the easiest to define and to set goals on. But if making the amount of money SUITS you, if the MMO is custom designed for you, it makes it easier, more passionate and more likely to be stuck with to completion, all the while knowing the View is not the destination, but a stop along your life line journey.

Pick an opportunity which utilizes your aptitudes, skills, experiences and the money seems to roll in like magic, choose an off the rack solution because some guru hired a crafty, hot button pushing copywriter which made it sound so easy, and you are probably going to be in the 94 who FAIL. EH?

Your thoughts, if any?

GordonJ
Old November 18, 2017, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Default Lesson 2. Seed faith miracles and law of attraction.

You don't get paid for doing nothing.

That's the real lesson here. In lesson 1, I stated a custom designed money making business beats an off the rack solution.

And, as always, the GO square is, WHAT DO YOU WANT?

In religious and spiritual circles they have the concepts of Prosperity, the first via seed faith miracles as made popular by Oral Robers and today practiced by scores of mega churches and popular preahcers.

For the less religious, in the so-called spiritual field, the equivalent of the Oral Roberts seed faith miracles, is the LAW OF ATTRACTION, made popular by the folks behind THE SECRET.

My favorite little book on these concepts is Jim Straw's MUSTARD SEEDS, SHOVELS, & MOUNTAINS. Jim said, have faith, but bring along a shovel and start digging.

In both LOA and SEED FAITH, there is a concept of GIVING FIRST. In churches and religions it is tithing to the religion of your choice. In LOA they preach give your thoughts to believing, and allow the universe to manifest your desires.

Whatever you believe and works for you, carry on. I'm from dirt farmer stock, and I think you have to give the seed to good ground, as a BEGINNING, but then the shoveling, hoeing, tending, weeding, caring and hoping because good weather is out of your hands.

It is our LOGO here at SowPub, where we tried to plant our seeds of wisdom for all of our HARVESTS of happiness.

And your seeds of wisdom too. We've had a great many contributors over the years, each with his/her wisdom of experience and willingness to share.

One of my heros was HARRY CHAPIN, and I've tried to follow his example of One for me, one for the other guy. Harry gave his proceeds from his every other concert to World Hunger.

I have attempted to give one of whatever it is I'm selling, to give it away for every one I sell.

Now, what I have seen here and across the many Internet platforms over the years is:

People with a hand full of various seeds, tossing them haphazardly into the briar bushes, where few take root and the ones that do get strangled before they bear friut.

So let's go back 20 years and see how you can know your future, the dumb ol dirt farmer way, that is easy to understand, OK?

http://sowpub.com/story-future.shtml

If you believe the premise I led with, you don't get paid for doing nothing,

then it stands to reason, you get paid for DOING something.

And the what you DO is often compensated by other people as they perceive the value of what you do, which is why a good school teacher makes 55k a year, and LeBron James makes 55k (or more) an HOUR.

Often the high paid people of this world, be they a Kardashian, a Trump or a LeBron...serve the wants of the many.

And that is secret two in a nutshell.

Not only, what do you want, but how much do you want to be paid for doing it, and how many of the masses get what they want from your doing?

Feedback welcome.

GordonJ
Old November 19, 2017, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Default Instant Harvests...quickest profits. Lesson 3.

I'll spare the stories, albeit, interesting. But, who cares?

You want an Instant Harvest? Two words:

Foraging. The acquisition of food by hunting, fishing, or the gathering of plant matter.

Gleaning. To gather what is left by the reapers.

Easy. Now about the reapers, they learn to plant seeds for what people want.

Or grow the want. As in the case of my Uncle Frank Yoder, who shrank his tropical fish business down from 35 varieties to 7 of the most popular...I guess the old 80/20 PRINCIPLE of learning what most of his customers, retailers...would sell; mostly the top 7 varieties.

Later, at his dirt farm, he planted mostly Pumpkins, because he figured a way to profit more from them than what he got out of the same ground with a variety of veggies.

So, why can't you Glean profits from other people's fields? You can. It is the way to an INSTANT HARVEST.

Foraging isn't as popular as it once was, but combined with exchange, (barter), a bushel of cherries or black walnuts used to get us a bushel of green beans or tomatoes.

Not as many wild berry bushes to find, but the concept; value exchange...is the very essence of a successful JV.

Gordon
Old November 20, 2017, 09:08 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Question on "gleaning"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I'll spare the stories, albeit, interesting. But, who cares?

You want an Instant Harvest? Two words:

Foraging. The acquisition of food by hunting, fishing, or the gathering of plant matter.

Gleaning. To gather what is left by the reapers.

Easy. Now about the reapers, they learn to plant seeds for what people want.

Or grow the want. As in the case of my Uncle Frank Yoder, who shrank his tropical fish business down from 35 varieties to 7 of the most popular...I guess the old 80/20 PRINCIPLE of learning what most of his customers, retailers...would sell; mostly the top 7 varieties.

Later, at his dirt farm, he planted mostly Pumpkins, because he figured a way to profit more from them than what he got out of the same ground with a variety of veggies.

So, why can't you Glean profits from other people's fields? You can. It is the way to an INSTANT HARVEST.

Foraging isn't as popular as it once was, but combined with exchange, (barter), a bushel of cherries or black walnuts used to get us a bushel of green beans or tomatoes.

Not as many wild berry bushes to find, but the concept; value exchange...is the very essence of a successful JV.
Hi Gordon,

First, this is great!

Second, I'm not too clear on what you mean by "gleaning"... Could you explain further?

I'm really enjoying this series of posts...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old November 20, 2017, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default Example of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

First, this is great!

Second, I'm not too clear on what you mean by "gleaning"... Could you explain further?

I'm really enjoying this series of posts...

Best wishes,

Dien

I suppose marketing foraging would be finding someone with a list of cherry pie bakers, and you have a great cherry cobbler recipe you want to sell to their list, so you JV.

Gleaning would be like Joe Karbo did with surplus boxes after WW II, and he was early in on the surplus, liquidations, left overs.

On big farms where there is much automation, a lot of the crop doesn't get picked, and they have teams of gleaners, who pick it up, and sometimes it is donated to food banks.

Gleaning comes AFTER the Harvest. So BIG LOTS, and Dollar Trees, and 99 Cent stores, are for the most part, Mechandise Gleaners.

I guess, if you find unused molds, tools and dies, and flip them, or put them to use, you might be considered a gleaner.

The Spud Gun was (as I understand it) a thing that had already been sold, but Joe Cossman paid 600 bux for the patent, which was filed in the Great Depression, and Joe "gleaned" a laying-in-the-field product, and made a fortune from it.

As for INFO products, Dan Kennedy acquired the rights to Maxwell Maltz' PSYCHO CYBERNETICS, a work that had been "harvested" decades earlier...

just as Ben Suarez acquired the rights to VERMONT FOLK MEDICINE, a couple of decades after it too, had been "harvested" and he alos made a fortune.

I may be stretching the definitions of both words, but they serve well for the purpose of this concept: FAST CASH. Quick Profits. INSTANT HARVESTS.

Foraging is looking for and finding ALREADY grown, ready to be picked and eaten sustenance. Like the SMALL REPORTS PRODUCT, could have several chapters or the bonuses turned into ready to sell products with no "growing" time.

Gleaning would be sending a second or 3rd chance to buy ______ after the list has been mailed and most of the fruit picked. A simple email may pick some laying on the ground profits.

Hope this helps. Old friend, you know I get a bit cryptic, but I like simple explanations and if someone "gets" or decodes the ideas of

FORAGING
GLEANING,

well, they have yet another way to cash in without spending the time in the field to do the sowing, growing, and tending.

Gordon
Old November 21, 2017, 09:13 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Example of both.

Quote:
Foraging is looking for and finding ALREADY grown, ready to be picked and eaten sustenance. Like the SMALL REPORTS PRODUCT, could have several chapters or the bonuses turned into ready to sell products with no "growing" time.

Gleaning would be sending a second or 3rd chance to buy ______ after the list has been mailed and most of the fruit picked. A simple email may pick some laying on the ground profits.

Hope this helps. Old friend, you know I get a bit cryptic, but I like simple explanations and if someone "gets" or decodes the ideas of

FORAGING
GLEANING,

well, they have yet another way to cash in without spending the time in the field to do the sowing, growing, and tending.
Hi Gordon,

Thanks again for sharing! I always seem to learn something new from you...

There is so much value out there, sometimes there's too much, that it's hard to know where to start...

One fault I have is that I am probably interested in too many things...!

However, I'm always grateful you got me to get some SALES experience... It has been something that has helped me with almost everything I do...!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old November 21, 2017, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Post The value of WORK time, lesson 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Thanks again for sharing! I always seem to learn something new from you...

There is so much value out there, sometimes there's too much, that it's hard to know where to start...

One fault I have is that I am probably interested in too many things...!

However, I'm always grateful you got me to get some SALES experience... It has been something that has helped me with almost everything I do...!

Best wishes,

Dien

First, this is going to be posted in bits, cause my fat little fingers deleted the long post I had written, but it will all get posted today.

Dien, I think you are like most of us with varied interests, except for those whose passion is about making dough. Most of us have a lot of different interests.

Let me start lesson 4 with this:

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/harr...golightly.html

And I call attention to the chorus:

I let time go lightly when I'm here with you,
I let time go lightly when the day is through.
I keep a watch on time when I've have work to do,
I let time go lightly with you.

Long ago and far away, when Tim Ferris was maybe still in diapers, I set a dollar amount for my hour of work.

It was set at 100 bux. I also found I didn't want to work more than 4 hours a week on any given money making thing (probably because it was part time and I had full time jobs).

But 400 bux a week wouldn't replace a full time job, so I looked at multiple streams of income, which both of us have suggested here for the past 17 years.

What if I had several 400 dollar a week streams? AH, that was more interesting.

Now this is, in my opinion, a low dollar amount for my time. There are guys like Mark Zuckerberg, LeBron James and Kevin Spacey who are paid tens of thousands of dollars for their work hour or in Kevin's situation, for his hour of harassment.

It doesn't matter what the value is as long as it is YOURS and you agree to it.
I know far to many self employed marketers, who at the end of the day, aren't working for much more than minimum wage.

Although they will say they have no boss and are free. I say, as I have many times, many one man bands end up working for the biggest jerk of all.

Once you set a dollar value to an hour of time, then you can examine it, and either increase the amount, and try to do so with the same amount of work, and try to get that $ up to where you want it to be.

There is a point, when, for example, your MONEY makes the 100 bux per hour, which is where a good passive stream comes into play. So if your investments are working a hard 40 hours a week for you, then could net you $4,000.00 a week, and then for us fly low types, we have something we can count on and invest in other opportunities.

So lesson 4 is simple. What is the $ value of your WORK time? See if the time is doing non work related interests, if it isn't about making money, then like Harry Chapin and his friend in the song, I too let time go lightly.

But when I am working, I keep a close eye on my time, and so should we all.

Gordon

PS It is more of a mindset concept, however, employees are given an amount of their worth, a 40k a year guy is making roughly 25 bux an hour, figured with a 25% value of benefits.

A 120,000 dollar a year employee is worth about 75 bux per hour. So, as an independent marketer, if I could hit my 100 bux an hour for WORK time, I could probably have a lot of free time to pursue my other interests.

Last edited by GordonJ : November 21, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old November 22, 2017, 04:28 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: The value of WORK time, lesson 4.

Quote:
Long ago and far away, when Tim Ferris was maybe still in diapers, I set a dollar amount for my hour of work.

It was set at 100 bux. I also found I didn't want to work more than 4 hours a week on any given money making thing (probably because it was part time and I had full time jobs).

But 400 bux a week wouldn't replace a full time job, so I looked at multiple streams of income, which both of us have suggested here for the past 17 years.

What if I had several 400 dollar a week streams? AH, that was more interesting.
Hi Gordon,

Another great post!

I've earned a lot for some of my time, and sometimes, I've also earned very little!

It sure makes sense to put a minimum dollar value on your time...

It's also a good way to cut through all the choices when it comes to possible money-making projects... Some are potentially more lucrative than others.

I like your approach... I'm learning some good stuff here...

Best wishes,

Dien