SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 13, 2002, 08:59 PM
Mike McGroarty

Default Tips on registering a URL

Which of these two URL's would be the best to use, if I was only thinking about the search engines, and since most SE's are going to paid versions how important is it really?

www.halloffametours.com

or

www.hall-of-fame-tours.com

Thanks,
Mike McGroarty

"37 Secret Money Making Strategies"-FREE
Old February 13, 2002, 09:11 PM
Dien Rice

Default Re: Tips on registering a URL

> www.halloffametours.com or

> www.hall-of-fame-tours.com Thanks,

Hi Mike,

I would register both and use both....

When I saw the first URL, it looked to me like "hall off amateurs" (misspelled) instead of "hall of fame tours", so the 2nd one is easier to read....

But, if you are typing in a URL, it's easier to type in one without dashes....

You can use a site like www.mydomain.com to redirect a domain name to any web site or web page for free.... (There are other similar services around too.)

I'm not sure whether there's a difference between the two domains as far as the search engines are concerned - hopfully someone else here know more about that!

Best of luck with your project!

- Dien Rice
Old February 14, 2002, 03:02 PM
John Henry

Default What's your goal?

It's my understanding that Google, which drives Yahoo & many other search engines, reads dashes as spaces. So the words in the URL actually get read and maybe these are key words you want your potential reader to key on, while the URL without the dashes is just read as a long list of indistinguishable letters.

You've got to ask yourself how many people are going to type in the URL. I know I seldom do. Mostly it's just "click" or “paste” and I think I'm your average user (Except I'm reading your post, so I guess I'm not). I'd suggest using www.hall-of-fame-tours.com or any URL with dashes that actually tell the story or makes your point.

Hope this helps.

John Henry

http://www.ddcv.org
Old February 14, 2002, 07:34 PM
Mike McGroarty

Default My goal is search engine traffic

Actually I am only interested in search engine traffic at this point. I really don't expect people to be typing the domain in.

I've gotten mixed answers on the hyphens.

Somebody suggested that the search engines would be able to read www.halloffametours.com as individual words, but that contradicts what I've read elsewhere.

I was hoping somebody could give me a definative answer.

Thanks for your input.

"37 Secret Money Making Strategies"-FREE