SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 7, 2009, 03:45 AM

Default My new Twitter based website

Hello Sowpubbers,

I just launched a new twitter based application:
http://www.retweetize.com

Its a ReTweet exchange program. It gets other people to pass around your twitter message - if you do the same for them.

If you evaluate the idea, it is a toll position on twitter

And while I don't get paid in monies by anyone... I get paid in free advertising for my sites on twitter.

Here is my sowpub special:
If you use twitter, login to ReTweetize.com
And then send your twitter id to me or post it here.
And I'll reward 10,000 points to your account.
Old October 8, 2009, 11:03 AM
nilangikusi

Default Hi

I think you are doing great,

Last edited by GordonJ : October 8, 2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old October 12, 2009, 08:02 PM

Default Miley Cyrus and Twitter

Dear Ankesh,

Thanks for the post.

I've been watching Twitter.

But I haven't yet TWIT a word.

I don't think I can express a complete thought in 140 letters on Twitter.

How do you manage?

Plus the Stress Factor of having to come up with something to say - minute by minute would get to me.

I just heard via the BBC that Miley Cyrus quit Twitter - and left her 2 million viewers behind.

Did some kind of YouTube Rap about it being too invasive, no privacy.

I think she might simply be getting TIRED.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old October 13, 2009, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Miley Cyrus and Twitter

Thanks Glenn.

Many people (mistakenly) think that Twitter is where you post updates about "what you are doing."

Its not. Its a place where you post updates about "what you're doing that will help others."

You don't have to update it minute by minute. Just once a day is ok too. And if you have a Miley Cyrus moment - just don't use Twitter for a few days. But why delete the a/c is beyond me. Thats like cutting your celphone service because someone cold called you...

I know people who hate cellphones. I know people who hate facebook. I know people who've never written an offline letter in 10 years.

All of these are communication tools. Twitter is nothing but a communication tool.

But to see the real benefit of using Twitter - you need to follow at least 50-60 people. Not 50-60 celebrities. But friends. Or people you look up to. People whose blogs and articles you like to read.

Because Twitter is only 140 characters, you can follow a lot of people without going crazy with overwhelm. Its the best tool for super fast spreading of messages.

Once you have over 50-60 folks following you back - ask a question when you have a problem. And see how quickly you get a solution back. Twitter is better than forums at problem solving many a times because it is so quick.

Anyways - I can go on and on about Twitter, but you won't see the advantages of it unless you follow at least 50-60 people. And give it a spin.

My Twitter a/c for those who are interested:
http://www.twitter.com/ankeshk
Old October 13, 2009, 03:54 PM
micropub

Default Re: Miley Cyrus and Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
Thanks Glenn.

Many people (mistakenly) think that Twitter is where you post updates about "what you are doing."

Its not. Its a place where you post updates about "what you're doing that will help others."

Exactly. Or what others are doing that can be of help. But either way, helping others. That is the main thing. In twitter and in life. Great post. It took me a while to figure out what twitter is.Still not sure how my tweets are going to play out but I am close and will start tweeting soon. But right now I am reaping huge benefits from the tweets of people I follow.

Been some time since I have been here, too. Glad to see you are on twitter
Ankesh, I miss reading your posts here. Looking forward to your tweets.
Old October 13, 2009, 05:48 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Not good to be a Twitter quitter...

Quote:
Thanks Glenn.

You don't have to update it minute by minute. Just once a day is ok too. And if you have a Miley Cyrus moment - just don't use Twitter for a few days. But why delete the a/c is beyond me. Thats like cutting your celphone service because someone cold called you...

I know people who hate cellphones. I know people who hate facebook. I know people who've never written an offline letter in 10 years.

All of these are communication tools. Twitter is nothing but a communication tool.

But to see the real benefit of using Twitter - you need to follow at least 50-60 people. Not 50-60 celebrities. But friends. Or people you look up to. People whose blogs and articles you like to read.

Because Twitter is only 140 characters, you can follow a lot of people without going crazy with overwhelm. Its the best tool for super fast spreading of messages.

Once you have over 50-60 folks following you back - ask a question when you have a problem. And see how quickly you get a solution back. Twitter is better than forums at problem solving many a times because it is so quick.

Anyways - I can go on and on about Twitter, but you won't see the advantages of it unless you follow at least 50-60 people. And give it a spin.

Thanks Ankesh...

What a great explanation of how to make the best use of Twitter! I have to admit, I have also been among the ranks of the "clueless" when it comes to Twittering and Tweeting!

However, from your post now I can see the benefit of it. It sounds like a great tool for socializing, and keeping "up-to-date" even up-to-the-minute where you want to...

I also had my "eyes opened" by the way Karol Gajda is using it... He only updates his blog once a week, but in-between, you can also see his much shorter Twitter updates. A "hybrid" approach like that seems pretty cool too, so people don't have to wait so long for an "update". And the 140-character-limit means Twitter updates simply can't take up too much of your time (which can be a blessing)!

Prior to that, the best I could come up with was using Twitter for trying to post humorous "one-liners"! Of course, the problem with that is - I can't come up with funny one-liners! And while they're easier to come up with, boring one-liners didn't seem as appealing...

I did start an "experimental" Twitter account, though there's not much there... However, now that I understand it better (thanks to your post), I may fit it in to some of my future activities.

Best wishes!

Dien
Old October 15, 2009, 01:24 PM

Default Thank You Ankesh For the Twitter Education

Dear Ankesh,

Thanks.

You are the only one who has explained to me a clear Benefit to using Twitter.

I get invitations twice a day.

No Benefit explained.

It always seemed the equivalent of texting in rush hour traffic. (Not a good idea)

Glenn
Old October 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
-TW

Default What twitter was intended for (unfortunately)... Re: Miley Cyrus and Twitter

Quote:
Thanks Glenn.

Not so (unfortunately).

See this intro to twitter -- http://www.commoncraft.com/Twitter

That's why Ms. Cyrus bailed (+ why I refuse to participate).

Twitter is the CB-radio of this generation (+ just as useful).

-- TW

Last edited by -TW : October 16, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 16, 2009, 06:49 PM
Phil

Default What twitter was intended for... Twitter is really What you want it to be...

Of course everyone has different Opinions and Work ethics, especially Miley Cyrus...

But I'm sticking to my story...

Twitter is really What you want it to be...
http://www.cmswire.com/cms/micro-cms...ing-003973.php

A Smart innovative Communications Tool that really took off in the Online world... Got Just the right Buzz and PR going for it Since 1st Arriving...

In other words The Google of Communications tools... Similar to Matt Mullenweg's wordpress Success story...
http://ma.tt/about/

If you research and Digg through... Twitter As A Search Engine... You'll see the Multiple uses and Endless possibilties on How you can use & "twist" Twitter...
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/05...search-engine/

Always be Smart in the marketing Methods/Tactics you Choose to Use... And Remember...

"He that waits upon fortune is never sure of a dinner. "
~ Benjamin Franklin

Just one Quick example... 101 Everyday Uses for Twitter...
http://www.insidecrm.com/features/10...r-uses-052008/

Phil

Last edited by Phil : October 16, 2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: additional info...
Old October 17, 2009, 02:43 AM

Default Re: What twitter was intended for (unfortunately)... Re: Miley Cyrus and Twitter

Thanks TW.

Do you use email? You use email even after knowing that 93% of all emails sent are junk emails?

Twitter definitely has a lot of spammers. And a lot of your friends won't initially understand what its all about either - leading to useless tweets.

But just like how email can be managed with tools and junk filters - twitter can be managed too.

* Only follow folks who share worthy stuff

* Use a software like Tweetdeck in which you can segment the people you follow into groups. I have groups like India, web dev, and A-list. Keeps things very relevant for me without a lot of noise.