SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
-TW

Default What twitter was intended for (unfortunately)... Re: Miley Cyrus and Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
Thanks Glenn.

Many people (mistakenly) think that Twitter is where you post updates about "what you are doing."

Its not. Its a place where you post updates about "what you're doing that will help others."

Not so (unfortunately).

See this intro to twitter -- http://www.commoncraft.com/Twitter

That's why Ms. Cyrus bailed (+ why I refuse to participate).

Twitter is the CB-radio of this generation (+ just as useful).

-- TW

Last edited by -TW : October 16, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 16, 2009, 06:49 PM
Phil

Default What twitter was intended for... Twitter is really What you want it to be...

Of course everyone has different Opinions and Work ethics, especially Miley Cyrus...

But I'm sticking to my story...

Twitter is really What you want it to be...
http://www.cmswire.com/cms/micro-cms...ing-003973.php

A Smart innovative Communications Tool that really took off in the Online world... Got Just the right Buzz and PR going for it Since 1st Arriving...

In other words The Google of Communications tools... Similar to Matt Mullenweg's wordpress Success story...
http://ma.tt/about/

If you research and Digg through... Twitter As A Search Engine... You'll see the Multiple uses and Endless possibilties on How you can use & "twist" Twitter...
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/05...search-engine/

Always be Smart in the marketing Methods/Tactics you Choose to Use... And Remember...

"He that waits upon fortune is never sure of a dinner. "
~ Benjamin Franklin

Just one Quick example... 101 Everyday Uses for Twitter...
http://www.insidecrm.com/features/10...r-uses-052008/

Phil

Last edited by Phil : October 16, 2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: additional info...
Old October 16, 2009, 11:56 PM
Adman

Default Re: Twitter Question

In regards to the guy finding Diners by Twittering them with a Code Word that gets them discounts at a participating restaurant.

This has got me very interested HOWEVER...HOW would I go about finding "Local Twitterers" to Twitter to? People who would be near a participating restaurant who would also have a twitter account?

Thanks,
Don Alm
Old October 17, 2009, 02:43 AM

Default Re: What twitter was intended for (unfortunately)... Re: Miley Cyrus and Twitter

Thanks TW.

Do you use email? You use email even after knowing that 93% of all emails sent are junk emails?

Twitter definitely has a lot of spammers. And a lot of your friends won't initially understand what its all about either - leading to useless tweets.

But just like how email can be managed with tools and junk filters - twitter can be managed too.

* Only follow folks who share worthy stuff

* Use a software like Tweetdeck in which you can segment the people you follow into groups. I have groups like India, web dev, and A-list. Keeps things very relevant for me without a lot of noise.
Old October 17, 2009, 04:41 PM
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post
In regards to the guy finding Diners by Twittering them with a Code Word that gets them discounts at a participating restaurant.

This has got me very interested HOWEVER...HOW would I go about finding "Local Twitterers" to Twitter to? People who would be near a participating restaurant who would also have a twitter account?

Thanks,
Don Alm

Hi, Don - Twitter has a really good search function - http://twitter.com/#search?q=roseburg will give you people who have twitted about Roseburg. Some of them are talking about your city - so I guess they are the ones to follow in the first instance.

That's one way to do it

Cheers
Margaret
Old October 18, 2009, 07:22 AM
MichaelRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post
HOW would I go about finding "Local Twitterers" to Twitter to?

You don't.

Twitter is NOT a place where you go find people and can magically send them messages. To be able to send the person a message they HAVE to Follow you. THEN, anything you Tweet will appear in their window.

Take Ankesh's twitter Account. He is Following 890 people. *I* contend this is too many people to be able to follow effectively. As such, most of their Tweets will be lost and Ankesh will not see them. If all they do is send one tweet a day that'd be 890 to read. Could you read 890 emails in a day?

So what you'd need to do is set up an account and then have people follow that account. Any message you tweet will then appear in their window - providing they aren't also following 890 or more people in which case your message will probably also get lost in a sea of garbage tweets. Garbage like "Just got to work", "having coffee now", etc.

For a company, Twitter is a great Announcement Tool. To announce... sales days, positions vacant (Virgin/Branson has done this), etc.

For instance, if you're a H-D fan, then you'd follow their Updates at http://twitter.com/harleydavidson

Ellen uses it as enticement to get people to watch her show http://twitter.com/TheEllenShow

You want restauranbt goers to follow your Tweets, then you need to approach it like L.E.M (Local Email Marketing). They need to Opt in... to follow you.

Michael Ross
Old October 18, 2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
Take Ankesh's twitter Account. He is Following 890 people. *I* contend this is too many people to be able to follow effectively. As such, most of their Tweets will be lost and Ankesh will not see them. If all they do is send one tweet a day that'd be 890 to read. Could you read 890 emails in a day?

True. I don't read all the messages of everyone I follow.

Thats the thing about Twitter - you don't have to read all the messages.

Twitter's strength is speed. Not comprehensiveness.

Its main use (at least for me) is quick problem solving. Or quick spreading of messages.

If I had restaurants as my clients - I would still follow Linda Caroll's ideas she had shared a few years ago on Sowpub.

(Can someone dig Linda's post? I didn't find it via google search...)

And base everything on emails. Or maybe SMS / mobile. But probably not on Twitter.

If you do use Twitter for coupons... you need to aim for at least 10,000 followers from one area. Companies like Dell have managed to earn a lot of business from Twitter using this coupon model. But a local restaurant may not be able to make the numbers. Unless its a chain maybe...
Old October 18, 2009, 05:21 PM
Phil

Michael,

Actually that's Not totally correct...

As per the following, there are a variety of methods available to do it...
http://www.google.com/search?q=findi...ient=firefox-a

Phil
Old October 19, 2009, 04:46 AM
MichaelRoss

What's not totally correct... finding local people or tweeting to them even if they aren't following you?

Michael Ross
Old October 19, 2009, 04:47 AM
MichaelRoss

If you are Trying to use Twitter as a Marketing Tool, then your message will get Lost in the sea of jibble to those who follow Many people.

Michael Ross