SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 15, 2022, 11:38 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Kevin Trudeau is out of prison...

You may remember Kevin Trudeau's infomercials...

From "Mega Memory" in the early days, to "Natural Cures: Secrets They Don't Want You To Know About" in the 2000s (and others)...

Kevin Trudeau got in trouble because (according to the FTC) he made claims in his ads that weren't true...

For that, he got a 10 year jail sentence.

He served a little under 10 years, and was released in January this year (2022)...

(He also had an earlier two year jail sentence in the 1990s for credit card fraud...)

I've known about his release since around mid-year, and have been keeping an eye on it to see what he's going to do...

(I'm amazed at his ability to convince people of things...)

I'm not endorsing him... But I thought a few here might be interested in "tracking" what's happening... (If you don't consider the decade in jail, he was one of the most successful info-marketers out there...)

He seems to be a lot more low-key now than he was... As I understand it, he still owes the government tens of millions of dollars in fines...

He has two new books out...

"Nuggets of Gold for Total Success in Life" and "Nuggets of Gold for Happiness, Joy & Bliss"

(I haven't got copies, but I understand they are books of motivational quotes from him...)

Here are his websites that I've been able to find...

https://kevintrudeaufanclub.com

https://gurukev.com

https://nuggetsofgold.com

Having said that, I do not recommend following in his footsteps... Unless you want to do ten years in the "big house" like him...

But... You can learn from all sorts... including how they persuade... That's why I share it...

Just be sure to keep on the side of righteousness and lawfulness!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : October 15, 2022 at 11:53 PM.
Old October 16, 2022, 11:55 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default A correction...

Just wanted to say...

While he is out of prison, apparently Kevin Trudeau is still serving out the rest of his sentence in "home confinement"...

So he's still essentially under "house arrest" and not totally free...

Also, while his website "Kevin Trudeau Fan Club" is created to look like an independent "fan club" of his... The evidence I've seen strongly suggests that he is actually the guy behind the website (not just a bunch of "fans")...

Just for those who may be interested...

- Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
You may remember Kevin Trudeau's infomercials...

From "Mega Memory" in the early days, to "Natural Cures: Secrets They Don't Want You To Know About" in the 2000s (and others)...

Kevin Trudeau got in trouble because (according to the FTC) he made claims in his ads that weren't true...

For that, he got a 10 year jail sentence.

He served a little under 10 years, and was released in January this year (2022)...

(He also had an earlier two year jail sentence in the 1990s for credit card fraud...)

I've known about his release since around mid-year, and have been keeping an eye on it to see what he's going to do...

(I'm amazed at his ability to convince people of things...)

I'm not endorsing him... But I thought a few here might be interested in "tracking" what's happening... (If you don't consider the decade in jail, he was one of the most successful info-marketers out there...)

He seems to be a lot more low-key now than he was... As I understand it, he still owes the government tens of millions of dollars in fines...

He has two new books out...

"Nuggets of Gold for Total Success in Life" and "Nuggets of Gold for Happiness, Joy & Bliss"

(I haven't got copies, but I understand they are books of motivational quotes from him...)

Here are his websites that I've been able to find...

https://kevintrudeaufanclub.com

https://gurukev.com

https://nuggetsofgold.com

Having said that, I do not recommend following in his footsteps... Unless you want to do ten years in the "big house" like him...

But... You can learn from all sorts... including how they persuade... That's why I share it...

Just be sure to keep on the side of righteousness and lawfulness!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old October 31, 2022, 11:42 PM

Default My Favorite Story about the MOST SUCCESSFUL Crook Ever in the UK

Thanks Dien,

This Rascal was SO TALENTED at his craft.

THEFT.

That a team of coppers followed him everywhere.

WHY?

Story #1 - He walked into a UK Museum. Dressed as a Janitor. Walked over to a
100 million painting in a room without a camera. Cut it out of the Frame. Stuck it in a garage bag and walked out.

Story #2 - He Leased a Guard Uniform. And leased a Big Heavy Truck - the kind that delivers moolah to banks.

Walked into a Museum - Past Security.

Had all the Forms to Sign.

Security actually Helped him Carry Art Work (Scheduled to be Transferred that day) Out to his Truck. He drove away.

My Favorite.

Story #3 - Our Hero Liked To Steal Jewelry because he could fence it for Cash.

Break into a Jewelry store?

Heck no.

He follows Expensive Jewelry Salesmen around. Figures out their Routine.

ONE MAN had a Habit of carrying one case (500K) into the house at a time. Locking the trunk btwn Trips.

Our Hero walks over.

Pops the Trunk with a little Crow Bar.

Walks away with the 2nd Trunk of Jewelry.

SCOT FREE.

He did this over and over with Jewelry sales people.

Thanks,
Glenn

P.S. - How do You Profit from this?

TIMING is Important.

If your Prospect is not In Pain - he or she will not Pay You. (Our "ENCHANTED NLP SYSTEM" always Always Always Helps You Find the Pain.

ALSO.

Your Appearance is VITAL.

Dan Kennedy's Advice to a Dog Trainer to The Affluent.

***DRESS BETTER

***FORCE Clients to come to you.

***Test the IQ of the owner AND the Dog - Require them to Qualify.

========
This Made Sense to me.

TODAY - I store 100 "Go the Extra Mile" LOTTO ticket and 1.00 Bill tipping stories
at NLPBrainBuzz.com

If a Prospect cannot GIVE MONEY away - I refuse to Sell TO them.
BECAUSE it they do not TAKE ACTION on one of the most Lucrative ideas I've EVER Discovered. (Lotto tipping)

The buyer will not TAKE ACTION on anything they buy. And ALWAYS asks for their Moolah Back.
Old November 1, 2022, 03:15 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Why I *think* I am fascinated by con artists...

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for sharing that!

Like many people, I've always had a fascination with "con artists"...

Why would that be?

I think part of the appeal is that, they are not who they say they are...

They pretend to be someone else...

Kind of like the thief in your story pretending to be a janitor... or a security guard...

Or Frank Abagnale (see the movie "Catch Me If You Can") pretending to be a Pan Am pilot, or a doctor at a hospital...

Or Bernie Madoff pretending to be an investor with the "magic touch"... When in reality, he was running a Ponzi scheme...

Or even more recently, Anna Sorokin pretending to be a wealthy heiress, and getting people to "loan" her hundreds of thousands of dollars... Because they trusted she could easily pay it back... (She never did, because she spent it all.)

I think the appeal may be similar to the fascination with spies, who are also - at least in the movies - pretending to be things that they are not...

I believe there's a part of all of us that, deep down. would like to be someone else - at least every now and then, anyway!

Thanks for sharing, Glenn!

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Dien,

This Rascal was SO TALENTED at his craft.

THEFT.

That a team of coppers followed him everywhere.

WHY?

Story #1 - He walked into a UK Museum. Dressed as a Janitor. Walked over to a
100 million painting in a room without a camera. Cut it out of the Frame. Stuck it in a garage bag and walked out.

Story #2 - He Leased a Guard Uniform. And leased a Big Heavy Truck - the kind that delivers moolah to banks.

Walked into a Museum - Past Security.

Had all the Forms to Sign.

Security actually Helped him Carry Art Work (Scheduled to be Transferred that day) Out to his Truck. He drove away.

My Favorite.

Story #3 - Our Hero Liked To Steal Jewelry because he could fence it for Cash.

Break into a Jewelry store?

Heck no.

He follows Expensive Jewelry Salesmen around. Figures out their Routine.

ONE MAN had a Habit of carrying one case (500K) into the house at a time. Locking the trunk btwn Trips.

Our Hero walks over.

Pops the Trunk with a little Crow Bar.

Walks away with the 2nd Trunk of Jewelry.

SCOT FREE.

He did this over and over with Jewelry sales people.

Thanks,
Glenn

P.S. - How do You Profit from this?

TIMING is Important.

If your Prospect is not In Pain - he or she will not Pay You. (Our "ENCHANTED NLP SYSTEM" always Always Always Helps You Find the Pain.

ALSO.

Your Appearance is VITAL.

Dan Kennedy's Advice to a Dog Trainer to The Affluent.

***DRESS BETTER

***FORCE Clients to come to you.

***Test the IQ of the owner AND the Dog - Require them to Qualify.

========
This Made Sense to me.

TODAY - I store 100 "Go the Extra Mile" LOTTO ticket and 1.00 Bill tipping stories
at NLPBrainBuzz.com

If a Prospect cannot GIVE MONEY away - I refuse to Sell TO them.
BECAUSE it they do not TAKE ACTION on one of the most Lucrative ideas I've EVER Discovered. (Lotto tipping)

The buyer will not TAKE ACTION on anything they buy. And ALWAYS asks for their Moolah Back.
Old November 1, 2022, 09:40 AM

Default Magicians Are Con Artists Too

I appreciate your story, Glenn.

When you think about it, magicians are the ultimate con artists...

They get paid to fool you !

However, once I found out that being an entertainer rather than a magician was what people wanted, I got paid a lot more. Then I found out from a (Now) world-class author, who was doing a great mentalism show at the time that doing family shows and "kid shows" was where the real money was. It was true.

All kids have birthday parties.
Old November 2, 2022, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Kevin Trudeau is out of prison...

One thing is for sure. The guy can just flat-out market. From starting a professional pool league to GCN network he convinced a lot of folks to reach into their pockets.
Old November 3, 2022, 01:55 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The flamboyant - but criminal - stock market trader...

I agree with you...

In his ads, Kevin Trudeau had such an earnest demeanor that could just suck you in...

Let me confess something...

I'm pretty good (I think) at resisting advertising... But there are just two TV infomercials - during the days of late-night infomercials - that almost got me to dial up and order...

The first one was Joe Sugarman's BluBlocker sunglasses infomercials... I think I saw it probably in the early 1990s. I loved it!

The second one was a Kevin Trudeau infomercial... But it was one that only ran in Australia.

(I'm a American-Australian dual citizen, but live in Australia...)

Kevin Trudeau's infomercials also reached Australia... I remember seeing one of his famous "Mega Memory" infomercials on TV here.

But in the late 1990s, he teamed up with an Aussie investor... a guy named Rene Rivkin.

Rene Rivkin was very flamboyant...

Think of a kind of cross between Gordon Gekko and Donald Trump, who speaks with an Australian accent...

His reputation was as a master of the stock market (like Gordon Gekko), but he had the flamboyance of Donald Trump...

He was definitely a colorful character.

Back then, Rivkin had a newsletter called the "Rivkin Report." In it, he let you know his stock picks, so you could invest in them and (presumably) make money...

Kevin Trudeau teamed up with Rene Rivkin. They did an "interview-style" infomercial, where Trudeau was the interviewer, and Rivkin was the interviewee...

I found it fascinating... I was interested in stocks at the time (and still am)... so I wanted to know Rene Rivkin's stock-picking secrets!

It was mesmerizing... I so wanted to subscribe to the "Rivkin Report" on seeing the infomercial!

Yeah... I almost bought, thanks to Mr Trudeau, along with Rene Rivkin...

And now... The rest of the story is like a sordid soap opera.

A few years later, in 2003, Rene Rivkin was convicted of insider trading. Because of that, he did some jail time. He was banned for life from ever having a stockbroking license ever again.

He also was diagnosed with a brain tumor. He died in 2005.

A few years later, in 2008, Rene Rivkin's former chauffeur and personal assistant, Gordon Wood, went on trial. It was for the murder of Wood's then girlfriend, Caroline Byrne.

Caroline was a model. In 1995, she was found at the bottom of a cliff, at a place called "The Gap" at Sydney harbor.

As a result of the trial, Gordon Wood was found guilty of her murder.

During the trial, Caroline Byrne's father made an astounding claim...

At the time that Caroline died, Gordon Wood was working for Rene Rivkin.

And Caroline's father claimed that Gordon Wood was Rene Rivkin's secret lover.

Caroline's father claimed that Caroline had found out about this... Which is why she had to be killed.

Although he was married, Rene Rivkin seemed to always have a "posse" of young, hunky men surrounding him. It did seem suspicious...

But there was no public suspicion during his lifetime...

Gordon Wood appealed his sentence, and was eventually acquitted on appeal...

So... there you go!

Wacky stuff...

In the end... I did find out how Rene Rivkin was so successful at stock market investing!

But insider trading ain't legal, as he found out...

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash4notes View Post
One thing is for sure. The guy can just flat-out market. From starting a professional pool league to GCN network he convinced a lot of folks to reach into their pockets.
Old November 3, 2022, 02:19 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The "revolution" that happened in Magic...

Hi Millard,

I'm not sure I've mentioned it on the forum... but as I mentioned to you in email - I did a some amateur magic myself as a kid!

The pinnacle for me was probably when my school put on a "circus"...

I did a magic act - with my friend being my assistant - in front of all of the parents of the school...

One of the "tricks" I did was turn a jug of confetti into water...

I think my role was more "respectable" than my brother's, who was two years younger than me. My brother got to be in costume... he was the rear end of an elephant!

Anyway, as someone with a "kind of" magician past (in my very early youth), I've always paid attention to the world of "magic"...

In my perception, there was a "change" in the air when David Copperfield came on the scene...

Prior to that, magicians tended to focus on doing "magic"... (I'm thinking of people like the late Doug Henning.)

But with David Copperfield, it was really "entertainment" - and quite a spectacle!

Of course now, there's a comedy element too, which makes it even better!

I'm thinking of people like the late, great "Amazing Johnathan" and of course, Penn and Teller...

People just want to be entertained... And that's true in everything, even in the "info-product" space... Or as Gordon likes to call it, "info-tainment!"

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Some of the fun of the Amazing Johnathan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6P1QRqFeww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
I appreciate your story, Glenn.

When you think about it, magicians are the ultimate con artists...

They get paid to fool you !

However, once I found out that being an entertainer rather than a magician was what people wanted, I got paid a lot more. Then I found out from a (Now) world-class author, who was doing a great mentalism show at the time that doing family shows and "kid shows" was where the real money was. It was true.

All kids have birthday parties.
Old November 4, 2022, 06:18 AM

Default Magic as Entertainment

You nailed it !

Bringing entertainment into the magic world was a change needed for years.

It is one thing to do a trick and people shake their heads.

It is another when you couch a trick with a story and some fun. That is the difference between puzzlement and applause !