SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 18, 2019, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Excrement! So said Herschell Gordon Lewis to us a few years back.

Dien and I had contacted Mr. Lewis a few years ago, and he told Dien that the movies of today, in his genre were EXCREMENT.

And, NETFLIX, as good as it has been, is now getting fuller than a porta potty at Burning Man. And with Disney looming like a Mind Flayer in the Upside Down world, Netflix may be doomed.

It will change or die. It will evolve, perhaps becoming smaller and more niched, or go the way of Montgomery Wards, Radio Shack and Woolworth's. Finite'

I think Hollywood, like New York publishers have their heads in the sand, or stuck elsewhere where the excrement flows from.

S1 Ep1 of Real Bros of Simi Valley (YouTube) has over 5 million views so far. That done with not much more than a camera and a cast of willing to be idiots.

Does Wade Burn? is seeping into the youth vocabulary.

And publishing? Good luck Barnes and Noble, good luck.

And in Hollywood, EVERY person who ever had a job doing something, is now selling their services to the very lucrative wannabee crowd, of screen writers, actors, would be directors, producers.

I think Ben D. Over, a former 2nd Grip on one movie, is now doing a MASTER CLASS.

For a price, you can get your script reviewed. Your log line. Your high concept. You can buy coverage.

It reminds me of all those POETRY anthologies back in the day, where for a price, you could become a published poet.

Maybe time to revive that scam? Vanity publishing used to be the print scam of the day, for would be authors...thanks Amazon and Kindle, for creating a different kind of a scheme, eh?

Sure, STRANGER THINGS was/is some decent entertainment, but those horrific low budget movies Netflix is hurtling our way are just too much.

The market will sort itself out, as it usually does.

But as for opportunity, YOU don't need Hollywood's discards' help, or Publishing gurus of yesteryear. Get with the times.

Does Wade Burn? Well, once for sure, but that is all it took for Rev. Jim from the Real Bros of The Sunshine Cab Company (Bros Alex, Tony, Bobby, Elaine and Latka and even Louie) was one bite of a brownie.

So it isn't Does Wade Burn? But more likely...will he become Rev. Wade? HA!

Gordon

PS. I get most of you have no idea what I'm talking about, which is OK, the point is if you want to do something, do it, you don't need anyone's or any industry's permission, eh?

Last edited by GordonJ : July 18, 2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old July 29, 2019, 09:11 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The possibilities seem great for video content creators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Dien and I had contacted Mr. Lewis a few years ago, and he told Dien that the movies of today, in his genre were EXCREMENT.

And, NETFLIX, as good as it has been, is now getting fuller than a porta potty at Burning Man. And with Disney looming like a Mind Flayer in the Upside Down world, Netflix may be doomed.

It will change or die. It will evolve, perhaps becoming smaller and more niched, or go the way of Montgomery Wards, Radio Shack and Woolworth's. Finite'
Hi Gordon,

It seem to be a good time to be a video program content creator...

So many outlets... Like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, I heard Apple is going to be creating their own TV shows too...

https://www.cnet.com/news/every-appl...g-service-app/

I do watch certain YouTube channels - created by ordinary people - regularly...

I think an interesting one is ADVChina. These are two ordinary guys, who were working as expats in China, who started doing YouTube videos (on their own separate channels). They got to know each other, and found out they were both interested in motorbikes. Now, they do a channel where they ride around on their motorbikes (in China, Taiwan, and Vietnam so far, but they're planning to expand), commenting on their observations through their helmet-mikes... It's a combination of both adventure and education!

https://www.youtube.com/user/churchillcustoms/videos

They've also made a couple documentary films.

Another channel I watch occasionally is Noel Philips' inflight Video channel. He's an airplane nut (who's British), and essentially rides around on commercial airlines sharing his experience... (I'm a bit of a commercial airplane nut, too!)

https://www.youtube.com/user/aviationphotos/videos

(I can say that international flights are generally more pleasant than US domestic flights, in my experience...)

I was really impressed when in one of his videos, Noel flew from London to Calgary (in Canada). Then, a few hours later, he flew back to London! He did the transatlantic flight not for the destination, but for the flight itself!

The key is, these are niche audiences. I do know the ADVChina guys make a living solely from their videos. (Not sure if that's true for Noel Philips.)

Best wishes!

Dien
Old July 30, 2019, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Default Quibi. Don't quibble, get ready to rake in the dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

It seem to be a good time to be a video program content creator...

So many outlets... Like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, I heard Apple is going to be creating their own TV shows too...

https://www.cnet.com/news/every-appl...g-service-app/

I do watch certain YouTube channels - created by ordinary people - regularly...

I think an interesting one is ADVChina. These are two ordinary guys, who were working as expats in China, who started doing YouTube videos (on their own separate channels). They got to know each other, and found out they were both interested in motorbikes. Now, they do a channel where they ride around on their motorbikes (in China, Taiwan, and Vietnam so far, but they're planning to expand), commenting on their observations through their helmet-mikes... It's a combination of both adventure and education!

https://www.youtube.com/user/churchillcustoms/videos

They've also made a couple documentary films.

Another channel I watch occasionally is Noel Philips' inflight Video channel. He's an airplane nut (who's British), and essentially rides around on commercial airlines sharing his experience... (I'm a bit of a commercial airplane nut, too!)

https://www.youtube.com/user/aviationphotos/videos

(I can say that international flights are generally more pleasant than US domestic flights, in my experience...)

I was really impressed when in one of his videos, Noel flew from London to Calgary (in Canada). Then, a few hours later, he flew back to London! He did the transatlantic flight not for the destination, but for the flight itself!

The key is, these are niche audiences. I do know the ADVChina guys make a living solely from their videos. (Not sure if that's true for Noel Philips.)

Best wishes!

Dien

Quibi. CEO-Meg Whitman. Started by Jeffrey Katzenberg. 9 months away.

Steven Spielberg producing a show, After Dark, for this new platform.

A mobile only platform. Content, serialized, in 5 to 10 minute increments.

1 Billion in the bank. A goal of 7,000 pieces of new content.

If you haven't heard about it, NOW you have.

I think the SowPub show should debut on Quibi. Dien?

Shortform episodic TV. I mentioned The Real Bros of Simi Valley, this might be two scenes from such a show.

Target the young. Those who are never without their phone, on, loaded and nose to the screen. It just might be the future for some of us.

Gordon