SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 6, 2006, 05:22 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Anything EXCITING happening yet? YAAWN!

It never ceases to amaze me the extremes that people will go to to waste time while purporting to be 'busy'. Unbelievable sometimes.

As for the wikipedia post on 50 cent...I think it's a shame that we can't find something, or someone, more positive to hold out to our young people to emulate. It seems sometimes that the worse something is, the more it is idolized in this country.

Saw the beginning of it waaay back some 40 years ago in North Hollywood-Studio City area. Sam Goldwyn and I used to chat about things Hollywood related and how they will eventually influence our world. He was right on the money, I must say. The rise of the Gay movement, the rap scene, the **** industry,and violent movie scenarios...we saw it all happening even back then.

All the home and family hearth themes and actors were just a smokescreen for the real agenda behind the scenes. In the name of 'real life' we suddenly found all the street back alley garbage invading our living rooms, our children's lives (and destroying their childhood innocence at the same time) until now our world is so polluted with garbage you can't turn a corner without coming face to face with it. Sad, indeed.

How's that for controversy, Michael?

Sandi Bowman
Old November 6, 2006, 05:48 PM
Sandi Bowman

Hi, Woody,

Thanks for the article. A bit of a different take on some colors than other authorities I've read but interesting nonetheless.

The colors that are successful in business depends upon the goal and the audience. For example, everyone says that black is sophisticated but, to some folks, it could also represent evil so, using a black background on a site may or may not positively influence the viewer.

A more useful application of black for sophistication might be the use of black toned other colors such as deep burgundy or navy blue. These are often used to give 'weight' to a site and make what is presented seem to be more substantial in the mind of the viewer.

Most folks believe gold to be a positive influence on folks but don't be too sure of that. To some folks it speaks of pretense and dishonesty! You also have to be careful of the shade or tone of the gold. If it leans toward the mustard side of the spectrum, you should be aware that mustard is an almost universally hated color...it's at the bottom of every preference list I've ever seen.

The best color for something depends a lot on what that something is. A pink sweater may be fine but a pink car leads one into emotionally dangerous territory. That is one reason why going with the colors one likes can backfire. I love some pink shades but I'd no sooner put them on a business site than I would paint it all chartreuse (another unpopular color with the majority).

There's some food for thought.

Sandi Bowman
Old November 6, 2006, 05:55 PM
Pete Egeler

Default Hey, Bob..

If all goes well, I'll "break the news" around the first of December or so. If it doesn't, you will not be required to be on peedles & nins any longer.

Still got a few "loose cannons.." Ooops, ends, to tie up.

Pete
Old November 6, 2006, 06:10 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The vulnerabilities of WebBBS (the "old forum" software)...

Hi John,

I agree with many of your points... I think it's a bit of give and take, since there's also more on offer now too (eg. the ability to create a poll, etc.), in addition to the points you raise...

I did a check, and this new forum has averaged 19 new posts a day since we started - which doesn't seem too bad to me! (I haven't checked what the average was at the "old" forum, but I'm sure it was probably similar...)

As I mentioned before, the reason we had to change was because of Denial-of-Service attacks. The flaw in WebBBS (the old forum software) which permitted this has been documented - you can read about it here... http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/v....aspx?ID=19240. In a nutshell, people (who know what they're doing) can attack WebBBS to "consume system resources" - which means they'll crash the server (which is what happened with the old Sowpub forum about 3 times).

I know other people are still using WebBBS - they're lucky nobody has so far wanted to attack them. However, to continue using WebBBS means they remain vulnerable to these attacks if anyone decides to perform one. (They don't have to do it for any reason - sometimes people do these kinds of things just to see if they can.)

Unfortunately, there's no other forum software "out there" which I've seen which is exactly like WebBBS in how it operates... I've tried to go with the best I could find!

- Dien
Old November 7, 2006, 12:58 AM

The most important thing to learn about colours is contrast.

Yellow has a different perception when its with blue than when its with red.

One interesting story about colours I read recently is that in Quebec, Canada - Unilever doesn't sell as much of margarine as they do in other parts of the world. And the reason for that is the Quebec courts have passed a law: making margarine yellow instead of its natural white is illegal. Everywhere else, additives are added to margarine to make it yellow - so that it looks more like butter.

And when it looks more like butter, it automatically tastes more like butter too.
Old November 7, 2006, 05:41 AM
MichaelRoss

Sandi,

Thanks for your comments.

Let me briefly add this fopr consideration...

Homosexuality is NOT a Condition it IS a sexual fetish like any other sexual fetish - feet, stockings, high heels, S&M, B&D, latex, etc., etc.

When viewed this way, their Fight for Rights becomes even more absurd. And is as invalid as Any Fetishist wanting Special Rights just for them.

On the other front - garbage - each individual business controls what they do or do not sell. From movie house and recording studios to the humble store where the stuff is bought. I view it more a Reflection of that Business Owner's Standards more so. The Newsstand can say No To **** just as any Private Establishment can set Dress Codes for entry.

Michael Ross
Old November 7, 2006, 08:55 AM
Sandi Bowman

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

Afraid your information on homosexuality is a bit out-dated, however. Recent studies show that there is definitely a different wiring, shall we say, in the brains of homosexuals. They respond to human pheremones differently than others of the same sex, thus the attraction to members of their own sex. This is true, whether or not they have ever acted on their attraction or not. Fetishists do not exhibit this different biochemistry in the brain. One is a learned behavior (fetish) and one is not, at the most basic biochemical level.

As far as choices among newsstands and movie houses, that perception may be reality where you are but it is not necessarily so in this country. Many contracts from newsstand suppliers and movie suppliers are simply a drop (shipment) of the standard offerings. Now, whether they are prominently displayed in their store or not, is the choice of the owner but not necessarily what is shipped to them.

Owners of newsstands and movie houses could argue the same as news media does that they're just giving the customer what they want but this perception could be a simple rationalization in most cases, just like it is in the news media. Who ever said that people prefer to hear only bad news? How about a balance between good and bad? We don't need to know about every kid or adult who goes off half-cocked and thus encourage copycatters. It's a tragedy for the folks involved but it doesn't have to concern everyone around the world. On the other hand, if there's an epidemic, and it could affect us and others around us, it's good to be forewarned.

The media, in general, has gone so far overboard in their sensationalism that they distort people's perceptions, inhibit progress toward solving problems, often keep negative emotions stirred up deliberately, influence creation and passage of bad legislation, and act as a negative influence on young people and folks who may be emotionally unstable...all in the name of news (and greed). It's no wonder we're seeing a rise in crime among the young. They haven't been given any other popular role models outside of the family to relate to that are positive and healthy.

Sandi Bowman
Old November 7, 2006, 10:53 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: The vulnerabilities of WebBBS (the "old forum" software)...

Dien,

Of course I still feel SOWPUB is an excellent forum, or I would not be here!!!
You know something is good when people keep coming back, right?

I also understand why you changed the software, I would have too.

Let's keep it going.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi John,

I agree with many of your points... I think it's a bit of give and take, since there's also more on offer now too (eg. the ability to create a poll, etc.), in addition to the points you raise...

I did a check, and this new forum has averaged 19 new posts a day since we started - which doesn't seem too bad to me! (I haven't checked what the average was at the "old" forum, but I'm sure it was probably similar...)

As I mentioned before, the reason we had to change was because of Denial-of-Service attacks. The flaw in WebBBS (the old forum software) which permitted this has been documented - you can read about it here... http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/v....aspx?ID=19240. In a nutshell, people (who know what they're doing) can attack WebBBS to "consume system resources" - which means they'll crash the server (which is what happened with the old Sowpub forum about 3 times).

I know other people are still using WebBBS - they're lucky nobody has so far wanted to attack them. However, to continue using WebBBS means they remain vulnerable to these attacks if anyone decides to perform one. (They don't have to do it for any reason - sometimes people do these kinds of things just to see if they can.)

Unfortunately, there's no other forum software "out there" which I've seen which is exactly like WebBBS in how it operates... I've tried to go with the best I could find!

- Dien
Old November 7, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hugh Gaugler

Default Actually, The REAL Truth Is . . .

Believing in the results of "studies" is dangerous. Remember the "study" that found children were NOT in any way adversley affected by sugar? Do you suspect the fact that this "study" was funded by the sugar interests might have had something to do with its outcome?

The truth is, all beings are spirits, not bodies. Some, hard-core secularists in particular, like to blame the result of people's non-survival choices on the body or body chemicals . . . "Oh, gosh, I just can't help myself, I have no choice, my body made me do it . . . "

Blaming a condition that results from one's own decisions on this or that brain chemical is is the modern "scientific" way of "proving" that no one needs to take responsiblity for their choices and actions. One favorite phrase is "It's not YOUR fault!" And since it's purely a "chemical problem", well then, the only answer to any such condition is chemical --- meaning DRUGS, more of. Thus, it's best to check and see who is funding a particular "study", and what they are selling, before taking it as gospel.

Take the spirit, the actual decision maker, out of the equation --- which is the goal of the hard-core secular interests in the society - - - and you elminate the concept of free will. That accomplished, you open the door to blaming anything and everything that people do on anything other than the true culprit, the decision maker, the spirit.

The body CAN have an effect on one, and so can chemicals. But bodies and chemicals don't make decisions. That's the sole province of the spirit, the OWNER of the body. And the spirit's decisions, good or bad, pro-survival or counter-survival, have consequences. Not knowing this truth, those who do "studies" often get CAUSE and EFFECT backwards. They conclude that because a certain chemical happens to be on the scene, it is the CAUSE of the condition they are examining when, in actual fact, it is spirit's decisions and actions which CAUSE that chemical to be there! [Example: Get angry, and certain chemicals will appear in the body. To blame getting angry on the chemicals is backwards. The chemicals appear as a RESULT of the decision to get angry. They aren't the CAUSE of one's anger . . . that comes from the DECISION to get angry!]

---- Hugh
Old November 7, 2006, 03:03 PM
Sandi Bowman

The blue shirt out-performed the others because blue is a calming color and says 'trustworthy' to the prospect. It's obviously a good, compatible, color for your personality...or perhaps a good counterpoint. Either way, it works for you and that's good information to have.

ASIDE TO OTHERS: Here you will observe that one secret to his success is that, no matter how simplistic the apparent question, he tests things out and tracks responses. Think we should 'go and do likewise'?

Yellow and brown alternating wall panels? Instinct says yuck but it would depend upon the shades used, I suspect. All yellow could be too hard on the eyes, particularly if fluorescent lighting dominates, so perhaps the brown tone was needed to ease the eye strain and the montony if it was a large wall expanse. Without seeing it, I'm really just guessing as to the possible explanation. Anyway, for you, I tried.

Sandi Bowman

Last edited by Sandi Bowman : November 7, 2006 at 03:05 PM. Reason: clarity