SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 22, 2006, 04:53 PM
Millard Grubb

Default Lawn Care Almost Free

This last spring I was really concerned about having to mow and trim my large corner lot myself in the thick of a hot Ozark summer.

I got to talking with my lawn care professional who was a retired industrial sales rep who wanted to do lawns because it gave him more freedom.

We talked and I found out he wanted some more customers, so I offered to help him get some more business in trade for his services. It turned out that he came over one time for me to take pictures and I created a brochure and two postcards for a summer of lawn mowing and trimming. That alone saved me a couple of hours each week, not to mention the getting changed, cleaning up and just being tired from the work.

Why am I mentioning this?

I am looking for some good trading or barter stories I could use on the radio from people that do this from time to time in the course of their daily lives. I am NOT looking for stories of barter clubs or barter dollars.

Has anyone has any experience in this type of trading?

Millard Grubb
Old September 22, 2006, 09:39 PM
Cornell

Default Re: Lawn Care Almost Free

Hi Millard:

I periodically do a bit of bartering....2 years ago when my aging riding lawnmower up and died, I bartered painting a kitchen, hall, and bathroom for another riding lawnmower. Right now I am negotiating a barter for a snowblower (needed for this winter) -will either be for an old 91 auto that hasn't been driven for 5 years, or drywalling a family room....the snowblower owner hasn't decided which he wants.

Cornell
Old September 22, 2006, 10:10 PM
Bozo

I traded my services as a flight instructor for a pile of rock and crusher fines. The deal was free instruction for all the rock and fines I could haul. I hauled a bunch of it too. Enough rock to build my house and coat my road and airstrips with fines, and I still have a big pile of rocks left over. The student pilot received about $2,100 worth of flight instruction towards his private pilot license. Yep, he passed first rattle out of the box.
Old September 23, 2006, 08:57 AM
SteveSki

Hi Millard, I don't think I told you about this before but when I was working Don Alms “Video Case Ads” program back in the 90’s I would often barter with my ad buyers. I still charged a set up fee that would cover all of my production costs but I would sometimes trade out the $25 per week ad fee for products and services.

I had restaurants delivering food to me every night. Traded out for videos, a VCR, Movie tickets, a gym membership, hair cuts, tanning and the use of a car from the local Rent-A-Wreck outfit. I even traded with a River Rafting outfit to shoot the rapids once a week during spring when the river had a bit of white water!

The advertisers loved it and I loved it because I would have spent the cash on many of the products and services anyway. It’s surprising at how often a no will turn into a yes if you offer to accept barter instead of dollars.

Cheers,

Steve Shulenski
http://www.PetPhotographyBusiness.com
Discover How To Earn $500 a Day Photogaphing People & Pets!
Old September 23, 2006, 09:45 AM
Millard Grubb

Steve,

I imagine there are thousands, if not millions, of people doing a little "Horse Trading" from day to day. Back in the 90's I was trying to get a restaurant gig for about two years. This was me performing guest table-to-table or while they were waiting to be seated.

Anyway, I could not get the restaurant to hire me at seventy-five dollars an hour. However, once I mentioned doing the gig for half cash and half restaurant script, the restaurant said OK. I performed there for two tears.

In another case, I was ready to pay after a meal at another restaurant and saw a few tables with kids. I asked the manager if I could make a few balloons for the kids as a gesture of good will. Turned out the manager gave me my meal for a few minutes of balloon twisting.

Bartering has always been fun for me and as long as both parties are happy, I am game to do it all the time.

Cheers,

Millard