SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 9, 2020, 07:45 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How to protect yourself from the coronavirus...

Why is the coronavirus such a worry?

There are two reasons...

* It is more deadly than the flu.

* It is also very contagious.

Other previous worrying illnesses are deadly - but less contagious. For example, Ebola and Sars are more deadly - but not as contagious.

On the other hand, the flu is also very contagious - but not as deadly.

It's the combination of being both deadly and contagious that makes this illness potentially the biggest threat since the Spanish flu around 100 years ago...

So, to keep yourself well, you have to either try to make it less deadly, or less contagious.

Reducing contagiousness

This is why people are wearing masks (which do help, despite what some people are saying), and also why they are isolating themselves.

Another method which may work (which isn't largely talked about) could be moving to the tropics. Many people believe a hot and humid climate makes the virus less contagious.

For example, this is true for the flu. Flu pandemics have a lesser effect in the tropics. The heat damages the flu virus. Also, the humidity means water droplets containing the virus get heavier quicker, and fall to the ground more quickly, compared to in a place with low humidity.

Both these together mean that the flu is less contagious in heat and humidity. Many people expect it will be the same for the Covid-19 virus.

This is also why people are expecting (and hoping) it will become less contagious in the summer months.

Reducing how deadly it is

The only possibility I have come across - for now - is to take a lot of vitamin C. There is a lot of evidence that it reduces the potential harm of the flu. This is no longer a matter of debate any more - the debate now is how much it reduces the harmfulness of the flu.

It is still speculative, but there is speculation that vitamin C can reduce the harm of Covid-19. Some recommend taking relatively large doses - such as up to 10 grams a day (10,000 mg).

Hopefully there will eventually be a vaccine, but we're not there yet...

If you have any comments or questions, let me know...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old March 9, 2020, 09:43 AM

Default Re: How to protect yourself from the coronavirus...

Yes, apparently vitamin C on larges doses avoid getting thecoronavirus and Healsfar as I read. I take big doses daily, 6g-10g daily (yes, grams, not militrams! 6000mg - 10.000mg daily). I recommend read the website www.DoctorYourSelf.com. I benefit a LOT of Orthomolecular Medicine.
Old March 10, 2020, 02:27 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks Mike... How I'm taking my vitamin C...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePT View Post
Yes, apparently vitamin C on larges doses avoid getting thecoronavirus and Healsfar as I read. I take big doses daily, 6g-10g daily (yes, grams, not militrams! 6000mg - 10.000mg daily). I recommend read the website www.DoctorYourSelf.com. I benefit a LOT of Orthomolecular Medicine.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing that!

I'm currently taking 6 g of vitamin C a day (6000 mg), 3000 mg in the morning, and 3000 mg at night...

I read a scientific article* which said that if you take doses of 500 mg or more, of vitamin C, 12 hours apart, you keep the vitamin C continuously in your bloodstream. So it seems good to take half your daily dose twice a day, rather than just taking it once a day...

Also, personally I take sodium ascorbate, which is low-acidity vitamin C, rather than ascorbic acid, which is high acidity. I think it's a bit gentler on your tummy...!

Thanks again, Mike... I hope we all get through this...

Best wishes,

Dien

* This is the summary (abstract) of the article, which gives the results...
"Rate of excretion of vitamin C in human urine"
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02435011
In summary... "A dose of 500 mg taken every 12 hr led to continuously-detectable levels of vitamin C in the urine."
That means that, as long as you take at least 500 mg per dose, if you take them 12 hours apart, you'll have a continuously positive level of vitamin C in your bloodstream...
Old March 11, 2020, 07:36 AM

I remember reading that the majority of over the counter ascorbic acid comes from China. However, there are many natural products that give you the vitamin c you need.

One of the best products I've seen for a super boost of vitamin c is from www.herbdoc.com called Super C. I never had stomach issues with it and it tastes great.... chewable too.

Chemical vitamin c has no benefit in my opinion.
Old April 3, 2020, 06:08 PM

My recommendations:

Www.orthomolecular.org

www.doctoryourself.com

I benefit a lot from Orthomolecular Medicine. I take big doses of vitamin C daily and more vitamins.

There are some hospital in New York that uses vitamin C to treat patients, the article is online at NYPOST.

https://www.google.pt/amp/s/nypost.c...vitamin-c/amp/
Old March 14, 2020, 07:57 AM
GreggP

Build your immune system.

One way to do that is pretty simple. Get plenty of SLEEP. Like 7-9 hours.

Below is a video from the MedCram that explains Coronavirus and how getting sleep can help.

The video is only 13 minutes, but worth the watch (even though most of it was over my head.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqZYEgREuZ8

Hope that allays some fears.

Regards,
Gregg

Last edited by GreggP : March 14, 2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old April 4, 2020, 09:34 PM
c.t.coburn

have also seen two simple, natural suggestions

fluids every 20 or so minutes so no virus can "incubate" in your mouth and throat (maybe that will help keep us olders hydrated in the process)

losing sense of smell reliable indicator of contagion