SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
James Anthony

Default Cool patent search tool....

I just got back from meeting with a lawer to discuss getting something patented. WOW - what a process!

The first step is a patent search that they charge $1500 for. I figured I'd get online and see if I could find the service cheaper and I did, and in the process I came across something really cool.

While I'm sure that I still need to hire a lawyer to really do it right, anyone can do their own patent search at http://www.google.com/patents

It will give you a really good idea of similar stuff already patented or patent pending.

Jim
Old April 9, 2007, 04:10 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Patents...lots more to it...

Hi, Jim,

There's a LOT more to patenting than searches and a lawyer...and the time frame can be rather long to completion. Here's some help for you:

The patent office will do searching for you...they offer at least a couple of different types of searches...one of which used to be free...not sure of current status on that.

You will need a Patent Attorney. They are attorneys who have passed special qualifications and been granted the right to practice before the Patent Office Board etc.

A regular attorney can prepare the initial paperwork and searches on your behalf but only a Patent Attorney can do the actual patenting process.

The devil is in the details, Jim. Just because something has been patented in the past doesn't mean it can't be patented again. It depends upon the type and degree of differences and similarities for one thing. Confusion in the mind of the consumer for another...and so it goes. This is one reason a simple search is just a mere starting point.

For a patent to be a good one, it should be as broad as possible to allow for full exploitation by the patent holder and to prevent others from copy-catting as much as possible by changing one small detail.

This info is based on my prior experience with potential patents of my own. I am not a lawyer and this should not be construed as legal advice.

Sandra Bowman
Old April 9, 2007, 04:29 PM
James Anthony

Default Re: Patents...lots more to it...

Thanks Sandi,

Yes, I understand that the site I posted is just a starting point. I thought it was a good resource to see what patents look like and what all is required and a good way for people to search for what else is already being done.

I've been trying to make sense of it all with online research for the last couple of weeks and the more I learned, the more confused I got.

Today I met with a patent attorney who explained it all and walked me through the process.

It's an interesting process and I'm looking forward to taking something through it.

Jim
Old April 10, 2007, 10:35 AM
Rod Carr

Default Re: Cool patent search tool....

Thanks Jim,

You are probably aware of this, but I'll post anyway.

One of the most important factors overlooked in the patent process and the end result sought from it is SPEED to Market.

Depending on the type of product, that can be far more important.

Not how do I protect this idea, but how can I produce and get it on the market, FAST!

Every so often, you see a nice story in the press about an ordinary Jane or Joe who invents something cleaver, then never hear about them again.

But, the market gets flooded with that product.

What happens is they spend too much time and money trying to protect their idea, and not enough on how to actually produce and sell it!

Anyway, a patent can be a very expensive and risky undertaking to secure and uphold.

And the best strategy can be to file the most detailed Disclosure Document you can, go with a Patent Pending, and focus on bringing it to market.

It's a tough cookie to face when somebody floods the market from China with your own product.

On a smaller scale I've had something like that happen to me, and have seen similar things many times.

Cheers,

Rod
Old April 10, 2007, 11:46 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Cool patent search tool....

Rod is absolutely correct about speed versus protection. Patents are not always the best way to go...especially so if it's a current fad/trend or in the toy/entertainment field...or any field that moves very fast with innovations.

FIRST beats PROTECTION a lot of the time. This is one reason we are seeing more and more 'incomplete' products on the market that only get completed or actually fully working after they're on the market. Think Microsoft for one example. The Intel/AMD or Apple/Microsoft battles to be first are legendary.

Sandi Bowman