SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 8, 2016, 05:16 AM
ascendedmind

Default Dien, what other concepts has Harvey Brody shared with you?

Dien, what other concepts has Harvey Brody shared with you?

Are you free to share? Does he have a 5th & 6th gear concept?

In the Harvey Brody's Answers to a Question Oriented Person Report, he alluded to other more advance concepts.
Old May 8, 2016, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default The sports car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascendedmind View Post

In the Harvey Brody's Answers to a Question Oriented Person Report, he alluded to other more advance concepts.

Dien, hopefully, will chime in.

My take...it is like sitting in a sports car, with 5 or 6 speeds. And watching the new driver, who has never driven stick before,

try to go from 1st gear to 5th.

Thank goodness my brother was a transmission mechanic.

I've spoken with scores of people who want to learn the advanced concepts...and they have never even attempted the foundational building blocks stuff.

They want to get into a higher gear,
they want an automatic transmission
for their race...

Yes, today Harvey is doing things which are sensational, and make his old stuff obsolete...way too advanced for most people. It is why they are "advanced" concepts.

Dien?? Your take?

Gordon Jay

PS. Here is one example. I'll use golf. Back in the 80s and early 90s I had a lot of golf students. I proved then, and could today, that 90% of all golfers have no business learning the PGA model golf swing...yet 95% of instruction is exactly that model.

I created the "J" swing, which was modified from a combo of Lee Trevino and MOE Norman. The club path made a J shape from overhead.

OK, what would a fifth gear concept look like?

1st gear is me teaching the student one to one.
2nd gear is me teaching several students at once. (Group lesson)
3rd gear would be creating products to teach...audio and video.
4th gear would be creating a brand which could be licensed or resold.
5th gear and 6th gear would be something like this:

I created a CERTIFICATION program, which required a renewable license.

I teach others how to teach the J Swing, only AUTHORIZED instructors could teach it. They would attend a yearly recertification program, and then be authorized to sell the J-Swing line of exclusive products.

The certification would include a Marketing Program which could show the Golf Instructors how to set up their own 6 figure golf training program...and this would keep them coming back year after year.

But, I couldn't go to 5th and 6th gear if I didn't have the first 4 mastered. Although people do try to skip steps, it mostly does not end well for them.

IF you can see and understand how the leverage comes into play with each gear...so at the top speed, one is doing far less work and making far more money than at the lower gear speeds...

then you may grasp what an "advanced concept" looks like.

Last edited by GordonJ : May 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:38 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Dien, what other concepts has Harvey Brody shared with you?

Quote:

Hi,

The fundamental problem is, how do you create a money-making operation, with low risk, and a high chance of success?

Harvey Brody figured out that the key is toll positions.

But it's not just about having a single toll position. It's about building multiple toll positions. The more, the better.

Harvey owns multiple toll positions. Your first toll position is just the first step.

From your first toll position, you can get a second one. And so on.

There are details within these...

The more toll positions you have, the better a position you are in.

There are plenty more things...

Harvey doesn't always teach in a way such that it's "Step 1" then "Step 2", etc.

Sometimes he teaches by giving you examples. Something like... Have a look at this letter I wrote to XYZ company, and here's how they replied...

After many of those, you start to realize some of the lessons within those letters. You start to see the patterns. But it wasn't handed to you on a silver platter... You had to figure it out yourself from the examples!

I have a large document where I have written down all my various insights from what Harvey has taught me. I refer to it often!

One of the biggest lessons for me was... No man is an island. (No woman is an island either.)

I had this ideal of "doing it all by myself." Harvey corrected me... Nobody can do it by yourself.

You have to deal with other people. That's where all the opportunities come. They can be your suppliers, your buyers, your distributors, your partners, etc.

I don't try to do it all by "myself" any more...

One project I am working on is with three other people. There's a "synergy" between these three other people. There is a huge value in bringing their separate and very different toll positions together. But I'm the one who brought them all together, so that this potential could be realized... (And I made sure I have a toll position in this partnership too, so when success comes, I will also share in the benefits, and it is difficult to exclude me...)

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 9, 2016, 04:31 AM
ascendedmind

Thank you Dien & Gordon,

regarding toll positions what type of products &/or plastic injection molds has Harvey implied to avoid?

He knows how to recognize winners instantly.

It appears the product would have to have definite competitive advantage over similar type products & be priced competitively while still being profitable for all parties involved.

Dien or Gordon would you ever consider uploading any of Harvey Brody's Courses for all to learn from? I also believe E Joseph Cossman's course http://www.cossman.com/ should be studied as his teachings are timeless too & complements Harvey's Toll Position strategy.

His 30 minute infomercial video for his course is pure gold w/o any hype
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_swy...ature=youtu.be

He clearly says to avoid any product or service w/o paying to acquire an exclusive distribution license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi,

The fundamental problem is, how do you create a money-making operation, with low risk, and a high chance of success?

Harvey Brody figured out that the key is toll positions.

But it's not just about having a single toll position. It's about building multiple toll positions. The more, the better.

Harvey owns multiple toll positions. Your first toll position is just the first step.

From your first toll position, you can get a second one. And so on.

There are details within these...

The more toll positions you have, the better a position you are in.

There are plenty more things...

Harvey doesn't always teach in a way such that it's "Step 1" then "Step 2", etc.

Sometimes he teaches by giving you examples. Something like... Have a look at this letter I wrote to XYZ company, and here's how they replied...

After many of those, you start to realize some of the lessons within those letters. You start to see the patterns. But it wasn't handed to you on a silver platter... You had to figure it out yourself from the examples!

I have a large document where I have written down all my various insights from what Harvey has taught me. I refer to it often!

One of the biggest lessons for me was... No man is an island. (No woman is an island either.)

I had this ideal of "doing it all by myself." Harvey corrected me... Nobody can do it by yourself.

You have to deal with other people. That's where all the opportunities come. They can be your suppliers, your buyers, your distributors, your partners, etc.

I don't try to do it all by "myself" any more...

One project I am working on is with three other people. There's a "synergy" between these three other people. There is a huge value in bringing their separate and very different toll positions together. But I'm the one who brought them all together, so that this potential could be realized... (And I made sure I have a toll position in this partnership too, so when success comes, I will also share in the benefits, and it is difficult to exclude me...)

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 9, 2016, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Default Chemicals and Specialty Products are still golden.

Quote:
Thank you Dien & Gordon,

regarding toll positions what type of products &/or plastic injection molds has Harvey implied to avoid?

He knows how to recognize winners instantly.

It appears the product would have to have definite competitive advantage over similar type products & be priced competitively while still being profitable for all parties involved.

Dien or Gordon would you ever consider uploading any of Harvey Brody's Courses for all to learn from? I also believe E Joseph Cossman's course http://www.cossman.com/ should be studied as his teachings are timeless too & complements Harvey's Toll Position strategy.

His 30 minute infomercial video for his course is pure gold w/o any hype
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_swy...ature=youtu.be

He clearly says to avoid any product or service w/o paying to acquire an exclusive distribution license.

Again, I'll let Dien speak for himself.

As for "products" and TOLL Positions...

I've never dealt with injection molds, not my interest...he never implied any to me to avoid, his evaluation process has two parts...

the PEOPLE
AND the product itself. Since he's been at this for 60 years, his Rolodex is exhaustive, so it should be no surprise he has the ability to 'instantly KNOW" about potential markets.

I think a look at what he is DOING, probably gives more answers than any course he might offer up. The COSSMAN concept is similar, OWNERSHIP and/or

CONTROL of a product.

Ben Suarez gained control via an exclusive marketing agreement for Eden Pure heaters and according to his website, has sold over a BILLION dollars of that ONE product. The guy who brought him the heater, the one with the agreement has fared well too.

The problem often is the time it takes to find a product to leverage, and the amount of negotiations.

Now, if this link works...meet another of the TOLL position proteges...

https://sdkhunter.com/archives/33

Here you find a story about a different kind of TOLL, one which resonates more with ME than molds, oils or specialty products.

Sherman Hunter also "preaches" suitcase businesses, and the Joint Venture way to rapid success.

We have NO rights to publish any of Harvey's stuff, we're lucky he allows us to share what insights we have gained from our private and personal conversations.

His grandsons have access to his warehouse and his material is available on eBay.

Dien may feel differently, but in my opinion, this PuBlic forum is not an appropriate place to discuss any details about this type of a business...and when you really THINK about it...

posting information for PUBLIC consumption would pretty much go against
the whole idea of

having a TOLL position, would it not?

Both Dien and myself are willing to answer general questions, and pass on what Harvey has allowed us to, regarding his concepts, but you won't see us "speaking out of class". Also, and without offense intended to anyone...

even this small little boutique forum, because it is public...

sometimes feels like we're casting the Pearls into the Pig Pen.

There is a great amount of information out there, readily available and the first question I would ask, is, What have you done already?

Thanks for asking about this, Harvey Brody and Joe Cossman and others offer up something different from what most people hear about and even then, the ones that do know of this stuff...

seldom DO anything with it.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. I grew up with Paper and Ink, and today, CREATION and Acquisition are the ways and means to virtual P&I, or information, products. I like Intellectual Property, IP, in all its shapes and forms.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:10 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Chemicals and Specialty Products are still golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Sherman Hunter also "preaches" suitcase businesses, and the Joint Venture way to rapid success.

Thanks AscendedMind for the link to the Joe Cossman video.

Also, thanks Gordon for the Sherman Hunter link, I just signed up!

There are answers to these questions, but the principles are actually the same, whether it's applied to injection molds, copyrighted books, patented products, exclusive distribution contracts, or whatever toll position you choose...

Once you understand the principles, you can apply it to all these things...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 9, 2016, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default Yahoo as a "distressed" business, much like AOL was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Thanks AscendedMind for the link to the Joe Cossman video.

Also, thanks Gordon for the Sherman Hunter link, I just signed up!

There are answers to these questions, but the principles are actually the same, whether it's applied to injection molds, copyrighted books, patented products, exclusive distribution contracts, or whatever toll position you choose...

Once you understand the principles, you can apply it to all these things...

Best wishes,

Dien

Sherman Hunter specializes in "distressed businesses", which are in great abundance. I think of them as another form of "stored value".

Be it a behemoth like AOL or YAHOO, or a momma and poppa beer joint down the block...

there are many reasons for the distress...many times aging has to do with it, growth to a leveling off, retirement or death of founders...

lots and lots of reasons.

With a creative approach, and often just a piece of paper, one can take ownership of proprietary properties, real estate, goodwill, list of customers, etc. etc. and be an "overnight Entrepreneur".

Dien, your recent foray into the African (you did attack with great gusto, eh? HA!)...importing marketplace dealt with both stored value and distressed merchandise.

Sherman Hunter had a decade long partnership with Harvey Brody, as a computer guy and a hand in the publishing business...

so, when you read Hunter's stuff, you'll see a lot of Brody like lingo in there.

Taking over a distressed business is akin to finding the stored value in molds, dies, tool, and all other rusting in the corner ASSETS.

I've written about Tiny the tow truck driver who took over a business with the profits the business was already making. Today, there are many baby boomer owners, with a desire to retire, but don't want to pay the taxes an outright sale would cause...

so they are amenable to an "out of profits" buy out, often structured like a land contract deal...

Sherman Hunter hooks people up, as well as teaches some of the fundamental principles which were shared in the chain, which was Harvey working with Joe Cossman on a per diem basis and learning and growing, and Sherman working with Harvey...

I believe this Toll Position/Stored Value/Distressed Business model to be known to less than 5% of people seeking either a business or financial freedom...yet, combined, they may be some of the most

powerful

strategies for gaining an unassailable fortress of freedom.

Gordon
Old May 10, 2016, 02:21 AM
ascendedmind

Thank you again Dien & Gordon.

Which of the Harvey Brody Course's would you definitely seek out to compliment E Joseph Cossman's Course? I believe Harvey had several versions!

Btw, Harvey considered E Joseph Cossman a marketing genius & said he learned from him too.
Old May 10, 2016, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Default He learned from working with Cossman.

Quote:
Thank you again Dien & Gordon.

Which of the Harvey Brody Course's would you definitely seek out to compliment E Joseph Cossman's Course? I believe Harvey had several versions!

Btw, Harvey considered E Joseph Cossman a marketing genius & said he learned from him too.

I'm not sure I would seek Harvey's stuff, but, if you have the original TOLL Position course, you'll pick up a lot of stuff. I love Harvey and Joe and all the OLD Masters.

You can't have too much of a good thing.

Both men's material was written decades ago.

Several years ago I posted a list of people to study today re: LICENSING and such. One place to start is at hardtofindseminars and listen to a few of those interviews Mike has done over there. Take a look and see what interests you.

Today, knowing what I know, it is my opinion that you would want to follow what Sherman Hunter is doing...since he incorporates both Brody and Cossman concepts and is more current.

https://sdkhunter.com/

Start by reading the blog posts, sign up if you want, it is FREE. And you may get all the information you need to pursue these soft of business opportunities.

To me, it just makes sense to study current concepts which are being used on a daily basis rather than studying historical stuff. It is sort of like me telling people to get Melvin Powers' mailorder course...when

there are Internet Marketers killing it.

But, if you have the dough and the time, then the course with the orange covers might be a good starting point.

Gordon Jay

PS. When I was doing the Ben Suarez/Harvey Brody thing, I was under contract, and paid well for my efforts...however, I do not have permission nor want it at this point to reveal what I had written, which would have been updates to both Ben's NPGS formula and Harvey's Toll position. Alas, that rug got pulled out from under my feet.

But, the good news for all of us today, there are people like Sherman Hunter who had direct working experience with legends like Harvey Brody (10 years with Harvey)...and others, which I will name later.

Maybe someone has the list I posted a few years ago, I remember Harvey Reese was on the list for Licensing deals. And NOLO too.
Old May 10, 2016, 07:49 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default What to get of Harvey's stuff, and more...

Hi AscendedMind and Gordon,

Harvey Brody produced a number of courses and reports over the years... Generally from the early 1970s to the early 1980s...

If you can, get them all! (I have all the ones I could get my hands on, but I haven't read them all yet.)

I'd start with his original course, though: "How to Become Financially and Personally Independent." The full course is 5 books - "Parts 1 & 2," "Part 3, Section 1," "Part 3, Section 2," "Special Bonus Section 1: The Acceleration Approach," and "Special Bonus Section 2: Creation." (I mention that, because sometimes people don't sell complete sets of the books.)

It gives you the foundation, and is actually a fun read, too. Very inspirational, as well as educational!

Gordon wrote:
Quote:
Several years ago I posted a list of people to study today re: LICENSING and such. One place to start is at hardtofindseminars and listen to a few of those interviews Mike has done over there. Take a look and see what interests you.
I found this post, where Gordon shares some more resources on Licensing...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26801

Quote:
Today, knowing what I know, it is my opinion that you would want to follow what Sherman Hunter is doing...since he incorporates both Brody and Cossman concepts and is more current.

https://sdkhunter.com/

Start by reading the blog posts, sign up if you want, it is FREE. And you may get all the information you need to pursue these soft of business opportunities.
I'm going to be paying more attention to Sherman Hunter, too!

Quote:
But, the good news for all of us today, there are people like Sherman Hunter who had direct working experience with legends like Harvey Brody (10 years with Harvey)...
Best wishes,

Dien