Go to the Main Business Forum page

New Year's Resolutions? Bah, Humbug! [Archive] - Page 4 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions? Bah, Humbug!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Dien Rice
January 2, 2020, 08:54 PM
It is like driving your car and suddenly you stop in the middle of the highway and check your GPS.

Days into weeks, months and years but all a continuum of a life. I'm sure there are tribes in New Guinea for example which don't wear watches of have calendars. How do they know it is a NEW YEAR?

My point, just a check point on the journey. Either to check the map, the vehicle, the conditions, just a check point.

Resolutions, represent in my mind, a change of direction. Most of us, don't need or want that.

But I find it useful as a general check up, like a yearly visit to the doc, and taking your car in for a tune up.

Or as Professor Irwin Corey said, "If you don't change directions soon, you're going to get where you are going."

Most of us don't need to change directions, but maybe refuel, and check our maps.
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your response!

(I meant to reply earlier... but got bogged down with stuff...!)

After thinking about it... rather than "resolutions" - maybe "goals" is a better word?

(Although they are similar... in my mind, they're not exactly the same...)

First - they say people with WRITTEN DOWN goals are more likely to achieve them. (I believe you've also mentioned this!)

Second... I recently read an article about how country music star Tim McGraw has stuck to his goals by dividing a goal into "microgoals"... Something small you can achieve every day, for example.

(I was reading about Tim McGraw because of Glenn's recent post - about how Taylor Swift "broke" into the music big time by singing a song called... "Tim McGraw"...)

So, I'm going to set some goals and some microgoals for 2020...

(It's okay if I start a couple days late, isn't it? :) )

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Here is the article about Tim McGraw and how he sets "microgoals"...

Ultra-Fit Country Music Star, Tim McGraw Says 'Microgoals' Are the Secret to Achieving Your New Year's Resolutions
https://www.inc.com/carmine-gallo/ultra-fit-country-music-star-tim-mcgraw-says-microgoals-are-secret-to-achieving-your-new-years-resolutions.html

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page