Go to the Main Business Forum page

Retro look at 1995, the great lakes and oceans of the Internet. [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Retro look at 1995, the great lakes and oceans of the Internet.

GordonJ
January 29, 2021, 12:10 PM
I know, some of you weren't even born in 1995.

But I was already old and mouthing off online, and I wrote about the Oceans of the Internet and the five Great Lakes. Two and a half decades later, here is what happened:

In 95 the two big oceans were: .edu (education) and ****.

From the .edu came FACEBOOK as well as many other social media platforms, at the time, colleges had more Internet connectivity than most of us so it was logical that college students (Zuckerberg, et al) would be the ones to exploit it.

****? Oh, it totally disappeared from the Net.

I guess I got that one wrong.

Although, Webroot says that today, $3,075.64 is spent every SECOND for online ****. Wonder what the .64 buys? Anyhow, it appears to NOT be dead at all.

The Great Lakes of the Internet were matched to my five lanes of the SQ1.

Financial. Making money. Still one of the largest activities online, the how to.

Mental. Online classes, courses, self improvement.

Relationships. Tinder, dating, social media.

Environment. The earth and what it is, does and has.

Spiritual. Between new religions and new thoughts, it is a whack a mole game.

Fortunes were made, lost and made again since 95. Then, came Covid-19, a real game changer, and with it came more opportunity too.

I was thinking about Harvey Brody recently, and his one product the Zoom-Spout Oiler (Copyright) which has sold over 100 million units, and how he only has a few buyers, and very little slop and mess.

And since 1960, no one has beat him at that product, although I'm sure China routinely tries. It is all about his control and toll.

Sometimes, we who "live" online, forget there is a great big world out there, with real products, like my little Waffle Iron...that are being bought and sold daily.

One of the best ideas I got from Harvey was about "slop and mess" and how to eliminate it from your life.

Above, I mentioned my frustration with buying a report and having to go through 5 promotions to get to my download, that to me, is a lot of slop and mess but I understand that is what most IMer's do these days.

The Automatic Product Vending sites don't have that slop and mess.

And in dealing with people recently (2021), I see there are some really good opportunities in all the oceans and lakes of the Internet for those who can focus in on one thing and get it done, tested, adjusted and maintained.

I can't stop time, nor can I avoid the destination of every man, but I can use my time to keep myself going, healthy, and maybe benefit others along the road, something we had in mind when we started SowPub.

How much slop and mess do you have in your life today?

Hopefully, you'll be around in a couple of decades and can reflect back to this year as a turning point, hopefully for the better of yourselves and for us all. \

Gordon

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page