Go to the Main Business Forum page

Revisiting motivation and "Structural Tension"... [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting motivation and "Structural Tension"...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dien Rice
March 4, 2021, 01:14 PM
Sometimes, it can be dang hard to "push myself" to get what I want to get done...

I suspect I'm not the only one!

Just recently, I've been revisiting the lessons from "The Path of Least Resistance" by Robert Fritz...

Which seems to have helped!

In summary, he talks about creating what he calls "structural tension" - and using that to help pull you to your goal...

It's actually quite simple - yet I think it's profound...

The idea is basically...

1. Think and visualize your goal that you want to achieve.
2. Now, be conscious of your current circumstances, and how it is different from your goal!
3. The contrast between the two causes a "tension," which he calls "structural tension"
4. Make a plan to resolve the tension.

I first heard about this from Duane Adolph right here on Sowpub... Here is an early post of mine about it...

Is this the KEY to motivation?
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2474

Sometimes I learn useful stuff... and then forget it... as happened here...!

My own personal experience is that this approach is like creating a situation which "pulls" you to your goals... Rather than having put in your energy to "push" for it!

The difference with the usual visualizations people do and "structural tension" is that, to create "structural tension," you keep very aware of your current circumstances.

That can cause a discomfort between your vision and your present circumstances - which is good! That discomfort will help you move your posterior and move towards that goal!

Robert Fritz says it's the difference between "dreamers" and "creators"...

I also thought this following article was a very good overall view of the whole thing...

Structural Tension
https://www.thwink.org/soft/info/process/structural/StructuralTension.html

What do you think about this... Have you tried using "structural tension?"

- Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page