Go to the Main Business Forum page

A little over 21 years ago, this forum "officially" opened... [Archive] - Page 2 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A little over 21 years ago, this forum "officially" opened...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

GordonJ
September 4, 2021, 10:23 AM
Origin story. Earlier in the year, whilst sitting with Rick Smith, the Net Guerrilla, on the veranda of the Sheraton overlooking the Falls rapids...

is where SowPub actually began. I THANK you for coming to see me and persuade me this would be a worthwhile idea. It has, thanks.

My mantra 21 years ago was already well established: "fly low, collect the dough"...and it has remained an above the fray below the radar lifestyle.

There are plenty of seeds of wisdom here for anyone who wants to make some changes in their lives.

Thanks for being a great steward of knowledge that has accumulated here.

Gordon

I say "officially" because we actually started posting back in July, 2000... but the official opening date was September 1, 2000...

(We liked to get an early start!)

Wow! Over 21 years ago...

Now this baby has grown up... and can do all the things it couldn't do when younger... (Watch out mama!) ;)

Actually, I just want to look back...

In 2000, the world wide web was like the wild west...

A pretty unruly place!

Facebook wasn't even a glimmer in Mark Zuckerberg's eye...

In fact, a childhood friend of mine was running a start up out of San Francisco called "BookFace" ! (*) (She should have hung on to that website!) In fact, I visited her in San Francisco in 2000... She had around 30 employees at that point...

(Unfortunately, it crashed in the dot-com crash that came shortly afterwards...)

Nowadays, the world wild web has been "tamed" by the big corporations... Facebook (including Instagram), Google, Twitter, Amazon, Apple... have "silo'd" everyone into their own little controlled worlds... Where they are the big bosses, and everyone else are the serfs...

(I have friends who keep getting temporarily "banned" by Facebook's algorithm... sometimes for just making jokes that are a little risqué. Need any other evidence that on Facebook, everyone not named "Zuckerberg" are all his "serfs"?)

Yes, the wild west is still out there... But most people are bowing to the overlord masters who want to control you more and more...

Mark Zuckerberg has been talking about creating the "metaverse"... A place where we can live even more of our lives... And of course, continuing to live even more squashed under Zuck's big fat thumb...

I hope the future doesn't come to that, personally... I've always had a hankering to "beat the system"...

(That's one thing Gordon and I have in common!)

I like it a little wild!

But... there's still a lot the "little guy or gal" can do...

And that's what we're all about here...

What the ordinary person - who may not have a billion-dollar bank account - can still do to beat the "big guys"... (and yes, it's still possible!)

You have to choose your battles!

Congratulations to us all here... We're 21 ! :)

- Dien

P.S. Here is a link to the first post I could find on "opening day"...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207

P.P.S. We'll be sharing some of the great posts from the last 21 years over the coming month!

(*) Here's a Bookface media release from the time - so you can confirm what I'm talking about!
https://www.infotoday.com/It/jul00/news16.htm

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page