Go to the Main Business Forum page

Insurance [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Pages : [1] 2 3

Richard Dennis
August 23, 2000, 05:24 PM
Hi, Mike. Figured that would get your attention.

Actually, this is a testimonial to Mike Rodman and insurance agents and insurance companies in general.

Don't anybody go away though, because at the end of this message, I'm going to give you a fact that will blow your mind.

Eight years ago tonight, we had a home.

Eight years ago tomorrow morning, we didn't.

I think most of us go through life resenting the darned insurance bill everytime we write a check. I sure did. Then in one fell swoop, it was all worthwhile.

Within 4 days of Hurricane Andrew, we were given insurance checks totalling $9,000 for living expenses.

Two weeks to the day after Andrew, we sat in chairs amidst the rubble of our home as our adjustor wrote out one check for the entire value of the home and another for the entire value of all the belongings.

The stress of losing your home & everything in it is enormous, especially for the women. To have the financial stress relieved quickly, with no argument whatsoever, was HUGE.

And many in Homestead had no insurance. I'm sure some procrastinated, some missed a payment, some owed no mortgage and figured, "I don't need insurance."

Big mistake.

While I'm reminiscing, I'll also thank the American Red Cross and the thousands of volunteers from all over the country who came to help. You guys were amazing.

OK. Now for the fact:

We lived in a residential area in Homestead, in Dade County, FL, one of the largest population centers (Miami) in the US. And it took SIX MONTHS to get electricity back to our community! Can you imagine that?

Which reminds me ... the insurance company also picked up the tab for the exhorbitant rent ($2,000/month) we paid for a home 60 miles north, the closest we could find.

Insurance is a real pain in the neck ... until you need it. And life can take some unexpected turns. I strongly encourage you to be protected, just in case.

Richard Dennis

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page