Go to the Main Business Forum page

Interesting Don Alm type idea.. [Archive] - Page 8 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Don Alm type idea..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Jason
November 16, 2006, 08:13 PM
1) I don't like spending more than $1,000 on ANY program. THIS here program requires you to print THOUSANDS and cost a few thou to produce.
Which brings me to...
Problemo 2) You have GOT TO BE ONE HECK OF A "SALESPERSON"....to cover yer costs BEFORE you make any profit.

If you are promising a printed piece to be handed to each and every guest of a 100rm Hotel (for example)....with a 60% Occupancy....yer providing 60 pcs a day....a 30 = 1,800 a month x 12 = 21,600 pieces.

Now...to print 21,600 pieces of anything is gonna cost ya 2 or 3 thou.... which you have to cover BEFORE you can think about puttin' anything into yer pockets.

With my "Menu Books" program....I had to make 10 Books....with 25 full Color pages in them. Each Book cost me about $50. 10 Books cost me $500. My FIRST advertiser PAID FOR THE PROGRAM?

With a program I'm doing now (TV Channel Guides) my costs for a 100 room hotel is 50cents a room ($50 TOTAL)....and "I" am able to get $2750 from advertisers.

WHY get into something that's gonna cost ya an "arm ana leg" BEFORE ya make any profits (which is da name o' da game)

When my wife and I had an Antique Shoppe in Aspen, CO....our costs BEFORE WE OPENED THE DOOR EVERY MONTH WAS $2200. This meant, we had to sell $2,200 worth of merchandise BEFORE we could put anything into OUR pockets. We "got tired or makin' da landlord rich"....and moved down valley to a less expensive location AND....we could still grab the Aspenites with a little more advertising.

Same way here....you is makin' da printer rich.

Find programs to sell that "Make YOU Rich"....NOT your suppliers!

Don Alm
http://www.donalm.com
Some of my Unique, Home-Based business programs

1) I don't like spending more than $1,000 on ANY program. THIS here program requires you to print THOUSANDS and cost a few thou to produce.
Which brings me to...
Problemo 2) You have GOT TO BE ONE HECK OF A "SALESPERSON"....to cover yer costs BEFORE you make any profit.

If you are promising a printed piece to be handed to each and every guest of a 100rm Hotel (for example)....with a 60% Occupancy....yer providing 60 pcs a day....a 30 = 1,800 a month x 12 = 21,600 pieces.

Now...to print 21,600 pieces of anything is gonna cost ya 2 or 3 thou.... which you have to cover BEFORE you can think about puttin' anything into yer pockets.

With my "Menu Books" program....I had to make 10 Books....with 25 full Color pages in them. Each Book cost me about $50. 10 Books cost me $500. My FIRST advertiser PAID FOR THE PROGRAM?

With a program I'm doing now (TV Channel Guides) my costs for a 100 room hotel is 50cents a room ($50 TOTAL)....and "I" am able to get $2750 from advertisers.

WHY get into something that's gonna cost ya an "arm ana leg" BEFORE ya make any profits (which is da name o' da game)

When my wife and I had an Antique Shoppe in Aspen, CO....our costs BEFORE WE OPENED THE DOOR EVERY MONTH WAS $2200. This meant, we had to sell $2,200 worth of merchandise BEFORE we could put anything into OUR pockets. We "got tired or makin' da landlord rich"....and moved down valley to a less expensive location AND....we could still grab the Aspenites with a little more advertising.

Same way here....you is makin' da printer rich.

Find programs to sell that "Make YOU Rich"....NOT your suppliers!

Don Alm
http://www.donalm.com
Some of my Unique, Home-Based business programs

Sounds like a good idea.

Could you explain why it would cost ME anything if I collected half of the money upfront and the rest in 30 days?

If you Break it into a 13 week program that is about 5,500 that should be printed for the program period.
The most you would pay for a double sideded 8.5x11 sheet of 20 b paper is 50 cents which translates into a $2750 print job (at most).

If you divide that by the number of advertisers (8 for example) $344 per advertiser to break even and is also the amount that you would collect up front to over your print costs.

For certain you are looking to profit from the deal so you need to double that number to $688 in order to make a profit.

So you would profit about $2,750 for every 13 week program (or $11,000) / year/ hotel.

All without ONE dime out of pocket.

As far as cutting down on the number of calls to the front desk clerks......
I am not certain how a book sitting in a lobby would do it, but I can see how it would help cut down the calls by handing each guest a sheet of paper that listed the answers to many of their questions along with ads that support the program.

I would also prefer a professional printed piece in my hotel over a photo album with a sheet of paper taped or glued to the front.

In any event, the only way to know is to get out there and try.
Don is correct by..
If you are not willing to try, you are guaranteed to fail!
Jason

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page