Go to the Main Business Forum page

Is “Marketing” by “Wants” dead? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is “Marketing” by “Wants” dead?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Michael S. Winicki
February 17, 2003, 09:16 AM
Seth Godin has made the argument that traditional marketing as we know is DOA (these are the points made by Mr. Godin in my language but I think I’ve given an accurate portrayal of his views):

1. People aren’t buying new products… they can’t afford it, they don’t have the time to use/enjoy it or they just plain don’t want it.
A. Budgets are stretched to the point of snapping for the consumer, the business and the government. The ability to buy unknown and unfamiliar products is small.
B. No one has time. At least that’s what everyone says. If they perceive they don’t have time they are hesitant to get involved with any product or project that is going to cannibalize even more of their time.
C. We have “everything” we want. The person of today lacks very little and we just aren’t as needy as we use to be.
D. Even if we do want it the selection afforded us in virtually every product category and service is limitless and due to overcapacity and competitive pressures usually very affordable and accessible.

Mr. Godin point out that in the last 20 years or so, we have gone from having more time/fewer choices to little time/more choices. That being the case the way we marketed products 20 years ago (or less) can’t work in today’s environment.

In today’s market the consumer will:
1. Will ignore you… they have too many messages directed at them and are quite frankly bored with the whole process.
2. Will not tell his or her friends of your superior product/service because no one has the time to do that.

The typical markets are gone… anything from frozen pizzas to pain relievers to books on yoga to ebooks on selling products on Ebay. All have reached the point of oversaturation.

The old rules just don’t work anymore.

Do you agree with Seth Godin?

And if you agree (even a little) what do we as marketers of products and services do about it?

If you don’t agree I would enjoy hearing why…

Take care,

Mike Winicki

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page