Go to the Main Business Forum page

The "Power" of "words"! [Archive] - Page 6 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The "Power" of "words"!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Sandi Bowman
January 3, 2007, 01:15 PM
Hi, Woody,

I'd like to approach your query from a different perspective, if I may...and you may just find that your problem disappears.

First, forget about the rejectionist theory. She/he is just another person to talk to and persuade with a little ingenuity. They're not the enemy...and thinking they are will put up barriers that all the 'right words' in the world won't breach.

There are two approaches here. One is to treat the rejectionist (not sure I like that word at all) as an interesting person in their own right. You'll get through to the boss if the person you first chat with likes you...and they will if you take an interest in them. Simple. Effective.

The other approach is to take the view that, what you have is so important to the boss/company that any question of it's importance would be an insult to all. This requires practice and skill but it's devastatingly effective if done right. You ACT as tho' you're as welcome as the sunshine, that the boss would be delighted to see you, that you 'belong' there and are a part of their extended family. If the rejectionist questions you, beyond name to announce, she/he would in effect to be questioning her boss/company decisions/expectations. It begins with an attitude and the simple statement of Mr so and so to see Mr. big...substituting names, of course, and then just stand there expectantly. Expectantly as in announcing you to mr. big as you look around anywhere except at the receptionist. Remain standing until you are told Mr. so and so will see you now or will be out in a few minutes.

The rejectionist is in the eye of the beholder, not a fact of life, if you look at things that way. You don't try barging through the door without unlatching it well, you don't barge through the receptionist without courtesy and a reasonable approach either.

Good luck, Woody. :o)

Sandi Bowman

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page