Go to the Main Business Forum page

To US Residents: Resale License Question [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : To US Residents: Resale License Question

Pages : [1] 2

Bruce
January 8, 2007, 05:32 PM
Hi. I recently retired and am now playing a snowbird, spending my winter in Arizona. One thing I have begun to do is visit area flea markets, and I think I might want to try my hand at it. I plan to buy items at wholesale but know I need a resale license to do this. By the way, my last residence is Michigan, where I no longer have property, but still have a drivers license from there. Right now that suits me, as I have plenty of time to go until it expires, and am using a friend's address for insurance purposes. But, I will need to figure out a better solution before long.

I have been thinking of signing up for a mail forwarding service, based in Tennessee, because that state seems friendly to RVers -- although the sales tax would be hard on me if I lived there. Anyway, the question is: will I need to be a resident of TN in order to get a resale license from that state? Regardless, if I did get a resale license from TN, and never even made a sale in that state, I imagine I would still need to file quarterly statements.

Another, related newbie question: If I technically became a resident of TN, and earned my income entirely out-of-state, would I have to pay TN income taxes on that money?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Bruce

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page