Go to the Main Business Forum page

Is "Salting" The Key To Promoting Your Products? [Archive] - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is "Salting" The Key To Promoting Your Products?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Dien Rice
January 19, 2007, 01:54 PM
"Salting" is being used by various companies to generate a lot of "buzz"... What is "salting"? Let me explain.

First, I got the term "salting" from "The Millionaire's Notebook" by Steven K. Scott.

One big company - Apple - uses "salting" practically every year... It helps Apple to generate a ton of free publicity.

And a few online marketers use "salting" very effectively too.

The reason it's called "salting" because when you shake a lot of salt on your food - you get thirsty. "Salting" is about how to get your prospects to "thirst" for more...

One way to do that is to give out a little bit of information - but not too much! Just a "hint" or a "taste" - and that's all!

Give just a little and it will generate curiosity about the rest!

Michael Ross has used this technique various times here to promote some products he's been involved with (including the Entrepreneur's Hotsheet just before it was launched). John Reese uses it on a regular basis (he likes to call it "anticipation marketing" - but it's really the same thing).

How does Apple use it? Well, every year you know Apple is going to make a big announcement - since it does every year, at the same time each year. However, you know very little about what Apple will announce. They never tell you!

All you know is just that little tidbit - that Apple will make a big announcement. Even that is just enough "salt" to get people "thirsty" - and to get the rumor-mills humming!

The key with "salting" is not to give away too much - until the time is right! But give away just enough to drive people bonkers with curiosity. :)

- Dien

P.S. Here's an interesting article I read, about "Apple's Marketing Genius" - that talks about this (though not with the term "salting")... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2084522,00.asp

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page